PDA

View Full Version : Observation Question

Zoomie
09-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Just recently started doing long 5-10 minute observations.

When children are having a conversation, should I record both parts of the conversation.

I can barely keep up with one, but then the ob wont flow ????

What do you all do ?

mama2three
09-09-2010, 10:45 AM
if i do this kind of ob , i use a tape recorder whilst im doing it. i record what i can , but listen back to the tape afterwards to see what i missed.It means i can make non verbal obs at the same time , note what they are doing etc without purely having to scribe as they talk.. I write up both sides of the conversation , but only name the observed child if that makes sense. Ive used this kind of ob if ive wanted to be clearer about a childs social interaction but havent done one for a while....K x

bexcee
09-09-2010, 01:07 PM
if i do this kind of ob , i use a tape recorder whilst im doing it. i record what i can , but listen back to the tape afterwards to see what i missed.It means i can make non verbal obs at the same time , note what they are doing etc without purely having to scribe as they talk.. I write up both sides of the conversation , but only name the observed child if that makes sense. Ive used this kind of ob if ive wanted to be clearer about a childs social interaction but havent done one for a while....K x

Great idea :idea: to use a tape recorder, I always miss half the conversation as I'm busy scribbling it all down :rolleyes:

sarah707
09-09-2010, 04:55 PM
I often use a voice recorder.

Just make sure you have permission and parents understand it is wiped as soon as you have finished with the info.

Children like playing with them too :D

Zoomie
09-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Thanks, can anyone make any suggestions on which recorder ??