PDA

View Full Version : DO YOU THINK I'M MAD

carolyn01
08-09-2010, 05:43 PM
I took on a boy who has just started school but I didn't realise that for the next six weeks he will be pick up 12 - 6.30 pm.

He has been to private nursery all day from about 8 months so obviously is very active and used to being busy all the time. I have a baby 11 months and a 2 year old boy too and am absolutely exhausted. Im up at 6.45 pm for baby to come at 7.00 pm and this little boy goes at 6.30 pm.

Yesterday I picked him up from school, took him home for lunch, went to a 4 year olds birthday party until 3.30 pm then home, then went to park for an hour and he went at 6.15 pm. His mum said he was full of beans and went to bed at 8.30 pm and wasn't tired. His mum is lovely but today I said I don't feel I can do this for another 5 weeks and 2 days! I just find him too hard work, (not his fault), and can't just sit and play which is what i think he wants.

I do need another mindee but feel he needs more time than I can give with a baby and a 2 year old so I told mum today and she is going to look for someone else. Do you think I'm mad :panic:

I find early years so much easier than 4-5 year olds (boys not girls).

I know i haven't given it much time but I know things won't get better.

the_raisons
08-09-2010, 06:47 PM
I took on a boy who has just started school but I didn't realise that for the next six weeks he will be pick up 12 - 6.30 pm.

He has been to private nursery all day from about 8 months so obviously is very active and used to being busy all the time. I have a baby 11 months and a 2 year old boy too and am absolutely exhausted. Im up at 6.45 pm for baby to come at 7.00 pm and this little boy goes at 6.30 pm.

Yesterday I picked him up from school, took him home for lunch, went to a 4 year olds birthday party until 3.30 pm then home, then went to park for an hour and he went at 6.15 pm. His mum said he was full of beans and went to bed at 8.30 pm and wasn't tired. His mum is lovely but today I said I don't feel I can do this for another 5 weeks and 2 days! I just find him too hard work, (not his fault), and can't just sit and play which is what i think he wants.

I do need another mindee but feel he needs more time than I can give with a baby and a 2 year old so I told mum today and she is going to look for someone else. Do you think I'm mad :panic:

I find early years so much easier than 4-5 year olds (boys not girls).

I know i haven't given it much time but I know things won't get better.

No, I don't think you are mad you have to see what works for you and YOU have to be happy.

Little Pumpkins
08-09-2010, 07:04 PM
hiya

giv it another week or so and see hw your feel, he could just be testing you! I find boys hard to keep amused, they want to flit between tings all the time

Desi-101
08-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Hi,

I have discovered little ones who are in school or used to a nursery environment are so used to being organised in a group setting and constantly being told what to do and how to play are quite hard to organise in a home setting. From my experience they don't know how to play alone or get involved in a task on their own.

They want constant attention and leadership and cant play or think of ways to play, if I am making sense? its a sad fact of life as school and nurseries are so structured. My little boy of 2 loves it when we do things but he can also keep himself occupied whereas my afterschoolers keep asking me to organise their play.

Maybe give it a chance and encourage him to think for himself and maybe put a few toys or activities out for him to choose from on his own what he wants to do without your input or the need to play exclusively with him.

Good luck

:)

angeldelight
08-09-2010, 10:28 PM
I think you have to do what works right for you and your family

If you are finding it to difficult then you are not mad just sensible

Hope it all works out

Angel xx

Trouble
08-09-2010, 10:30 PM
No i think its called being normal:D :thumbsup:

angeldelight
08-09-2010, 10:33 PM

Whats that again :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

Trouble
08-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Whats that again :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

sorry i think its called being sensible:clapping: :clapping:

note to oneself dont use the word normal no such word:D :laughing:

angeldelight
08-09-2010, 10:36 PM
sorry i think its called being sensible:clapping: :clapping:

note to oneself dont use the word normal no such word:D :laughing:

I knew you would get there in the end :laughing:

Think there is only you and I posting :cool:

Angel xx

Tina O
09-09-2010, 07:25 AM
Thats why we have settleing in periods on contracts, sometimes things just don't gel! it's not anyone's fault but you can't work in an enviroment you find difficult to control, if you did continue, unhappily then you would be mad!

carolyn01
09-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Thank you all for your comments.

I thought people were going to say are you mad we are all crying out for children and you give one away!!!

Mum phoned last night and she has sorted out pick up today and tomorrow and will try at weekend to find someone else. I obviously said I wouldn't leave her in the lurch and would do it until found someone.

Just a bit awkward, particularly as she was recommended by a friend! :panic:

Ripeberry
09-09-2010, 10:22 AM

My own two girls are that active ALL the time. I have mindees for a rest :D
But to be fair they do entertain themselves. I used my trail camera in my living room for a couple of days and all the kids are bouncing all over the place and I can be seen tidying after them (seems to be non-stop).

But makes me realise how much I do in the day, no wonder I feel tired.

maryp0ppins
09-09-2010, 10:38 AM
your not mad.....do whats best for you...you dont want to be working & not enjoying your time spent with the little ones....

:thumbsup:

SandCastles
09-09-2010, 06:51 PM
your not mad.....do whats best for you...you dont want to be working & not enjoying your time spent with the little ones....

:thumbsup:

Same advice as everyone else here, I hope it all works out for you.