PDA

View Full Version : Large garden no fences

julie123
05-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Hi as alot of you know I had a problem with my landlord and am having to move. I have found an amazing house in the country but here is my problem. The garden spreads out on to open fields. These fields come with the house and are private but obviously as the garden doesn't have any fencing the children could go on to the fields. Would Ofsted allow this? There are no other houses around it is just open fields and it is a private road. Could I use the garden or would it need to be more fenced off

Twinkles
05-04-2008, 11:35 PM
Not entirely sure. You may have to do a risk assessment and state that you will be in the garden to supervise them at all times.

Someone else will be along soon who will know the answer.

Mollymop
06-04-2008, 12:01 AM
I have no idea either, but I am sure if you supervise, them when they are out it at all times it shouldn't be a huge problem, but then in the standards it does say that the garden needs to be secure. So i think you may need to ask at pre reg. Is anyone else allowed onto the fields?

crazybones
06-04-2008, 06:24 AM
I think you would have to do a risk assessment and treat it like a park ie they are within your reach/site constantly. The garden does have to be secure normally so I am not sure. How would you cope going to the toilet, answering the door/phone. Best of luck.

miffy
06-04-2008, 06:27 AM
I'm not entirely sure either tbh but I agree with Twinkles - risk assess and you would need to be with the children at all times if they were outside.

Is there any possibility of getting the garden fenced?

miffy xx

sarah707
06-04-2008, 08:17 AM
Legal requirements of Eyfs... premises and security... states -

'The premises, both indoors and outdoors, must be safe and secure'

and -

'Providers must ensure that children do not leave the premises unsupervised'

That tells me that we are expected to have secure fencing round our property both to safeguard children (keeping them in) and to stop intruders.

Hope this helps :D

flora
06-04-2008, 08:30 AM
When I first reg we had no fence, garden bit just went out to the rest of the farm and our fields. Traffic is not a prob as we are half a mile from the road, but we do get the odd tracor coming down. Because of this I had to be out there ALL the time if minded kids were out there. Just used to take the phone out with me and any vistors can just shout through the garden, but when any one wanted the loo, we all had to go in.

Much easier now fenced.

As sarah says its all change with EYFS. So wait and see. Would be much easier for you if you had a small bit fenced. Doesn't mean you can't use the rest, just it would be more of an outing if you see what I mean.

crazybones
06-04-2008, 08:36 AM
I used to have a large wooden playpen that I took in the garden when there were very little ones in order that I could plop one in there to sort out a problem with another. Eyes in the back of they head time.

julie123
06-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Is anyone else allowed onto the fields?

No it is private land.

I could get the garden fenced but it is massive. Childminding Matters (which is the organization that do the briefing and the exams etc) said they would come out and do a pre pre-reg visit so hopefully they can tell me. I am hoping I can just corner off a section if I need to or like annie337 said and get a large play pen
Thanks for your advise

miffy
06-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Good luck - hope you get it sorted

miffy xx

Lottie
06-04-2008, 12:50 PM
What about getting a little bit of the garden, near the house, fenced off with picket fencing? (the small fences). That would be a of alot cheaper and would keep the children safe whilst in the garden.