PDA

View Full Version : observations and daily diarys

Straws
05-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Hi all,

Quick question do you all do observations and daily dairys for children who go school for example 4-5 years and over, or just the children you look after during the day?

Straws xx

Trouble
05-04-2008, 10:22 PM
to be truth ful i only do daily diarys for babies and i havent started obs yet

but i do make notes on paintings for parents to read(on the back)

charleyfarley
05-04-2008, 10:37 PM
I do daily diary for full timer age 19 months and just started doing obs for him.

Other mindee under school age I only have for 3 hours per week and don't do anything for really, not written down anyway.

Other mindees, before and after school aren't really here long enough to do it for

Carol xx

sarahcoutts21
05-04-2008, 10:47 PM
hi i do daily diaries for all the children in may care and i have done a few obs on a child who we are trying to develop fine motor skills!! i also do an achievemnts book for the children under tha age of 5 i feel its good to record the moment they find out new things and it helps when observing too!! Hope this helps you?

sarah :)

Pipsqueak
05-04-2008, 11:13 PM
to be truth ful i only do daily diarys for babies and i havent started obs yet

but i do make notes on paintings for parents to read(on the back)

That is a really good idea - think I may snaffle that - never thought to put info onto the back of the actual drawings/pix. So simple!

Twinkles
05-04-2008, 11:19 PM
At the moment I do diaries for under three's. I have only done observations occasionaly , when a child is new to the setting or if a parent or I have a concern. Of course this will all have to change under EYFS.

Trouble
05-04-2008, 11:26 PM
That is a really good idea - think I may snaffle that - never thought to put info onto the back of the actual drawings/pix. So simple!

saves time then the pics go in a scrap book to show progress:clapping: :clapping:

sarah707
06-04-2008, 08:28 AM
I am seriously considering asking Ofsted at what point obs etc become unnecessary... eg I have one child for less than 45 mins a morning, 4 mornings a week...

I hardly have time to talk to her once she's eaten her breakfast, gone to the loo and got her coat on for school...

Hmmmm, feel an email coming on... :D

Chimps Childminding
06-04-2008, 08:43 AM
I have the same problem as you Sarah, one child comes for 3/4 hour in the morning and less than 1/2 hour at night - by the time she has got her coat off, had snack/breakfast, settled down to do anything its time for her to get her coat back on to go school/home depending on which end of the day it is! it doesn't really give you time to do anything much!

Tatia
06-04-2008, 08:54 AM
At the mo, I only do obs and diaries for children I have during the day. I have a boy right now who is in Reception and even though he'll be moved on from EYFS by the time it becomes compulsory, I guess I'd do obs, planning and diaries for children up through Reception once it all kicks off in September.

Spangles
07-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Did you send your e-mail Sarah?

sarah707
13-04-2008, 08:13 AM
Yes I did... Ofsted replied that it was not for them to tell us how to plan for individual children and I should contact CIS for futher clarification...

So I have... and I am still waiting for their considered reply! :rolleyes:

Twinkles
13-04-2008, 08:17 AM
Yes I did... Ofsted replied that it was not for them to tell us how to plan for individual children and I should contact CIS for futher clarification...

So I have... and I am still waiting for their considered reply! :rolleyes:

Was their email titled ' Pass the buck ' ??:D

sarah707
13-04-2008, 08:32 AM
Was their email titled ' Pass the buck ' ??:D

:laughing: :laughing:

Spangles
13-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Ofsted are so infuriating! They're as bad as politicians, have they ever actually answered a question simply and to the point yet with the information requested?

I can't remember it if they have!

miffy
13-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Ofsted are so infuriating! They're as bad as politicians, have they ever actually answered a question simply and to the point yet with the information requested?

I can't remember it if they have!

Not to my knowledge :laughing: :laughing:

That is because if you asked two inspectors the same question you'd get two different replies

They can't tell us how to do something but are experts at telling us we are not doing it right!

miffy xx

Pipsqueak
13-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Not to my knowledge :laughing: :laughing:

That is because if you asked two inspectors the same question you'd get two different replies

They can't tell us how to do something but are experts at telling us we are not doing it right!

miffy xx

:laughing: but oh so true its scary.