PDA

View Full Version : I have my hands full!

Hayley G
07-09-2010, 08:35 PM
I have gone from 3 under 5's to 5 children 2,3,6,7&9 I am finding it good in terms of coping with them all but got 1 child that is very hard to please:panic: !!

The 3 and 6 yr old started last week and their parents have given great feedback and said the kids love it with me :clapping: but when they are here the 6 yr old does nothing but complain. Everything I give him to eat he hates (apparently) though his mum tells me that they are great eaters and will eat anything. And he does not seem to want to join in with the younger kids (too babyish) and the older 2 he is not interested in playing their "stupid games" so I feel a little stumped. He also seems to ignore everything I tell him but again parents tell me is very well behaved and affectionate?!

Any tips - I am hoping that he is just testing the waters as I am new and will snap out of it?!

The Juggler
07-09-2010, 08:49 PM
I think so. I had a 5 year old who when came would only eat certain types of this and that and the other but by the time he left (at 10) was my best eater -would eat anything!

I think it's same with activities. THey probably still feel a bit uncomfortable and so are using complaint as a form of protest. They are not so adaptable as they get older. Sure they will settle soon honey.x

sarah707
07-09-2010, 08:57 PM
It's hard with older ones sometimes you have my sympathies.

I think the best is to ignore what you can and keep plugging away with positive comments, variety of food (don't get into fads it becomes a nightmare) and lots of games you know he enjoys.

He will either relax into things or moan so much mum moves him elsewhere.

Hugs xx

Hayley G
07-09-2010, 09:08 PM
He will either relax into things or moan so much mum moves him elsewhere.

Thanks all!

I hope its a phase?! That is the strange thing he is going home telling his mum he loves it here?! I was a little worried about it but mum called me today (boys not with me today) and said they both cant wait to get round everyday as they love it.

bexcee
08-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Have you asked him what he does want to do? Maybe find out what he's interested in and plan an activity round that.

Don't bend over backwards though he sounds like he's just testing you and will soon learn to fit in and play. If the parents are happy he must be telling him he likes being with you.