PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to change my car insurance?

nikkia77
07-09-2010, 06:38 PM
I'm the named driver on current policy, it's the normal personal social policy not business as i've not used the car for minding to date, just had an enquiry for school pick up twice a week, do I really need to change to business insurance?

CHEEKY BEE
07-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Hi, if you are going to be using the car for childminding children then I would change it to business use. I used to work for the police and they can seize the car if you are not properly insured. When I worked there they could seize a car if a person was using the car for business purposes (this could have been somebody just delivering a pizza) if they only had personal social policy.
Also you may not be covered by your insurance if you had an accident when using it with the mindees.

aly
07-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Yes it is very important that you do...what would happen should you have a bump/accident while a mindee was in the car? :panic:

Baileys'n'cream
07-09-2010, 08:20 PM
I'm not yet childminding but my hubby uses the car for business and it didn't cost any extra to add business use to the policy :)

nikkia77
07-09-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm not yet childminding but my hubby uses the car for business and it didn't cost any extra to add business use to the policy :)

Hopefully that will be the case for me then as if I have to pay extra it's really not going to be worth it

aly
07-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Hopefully that will be the case for me then as if I have to pay extra it's really not going to be worth it

I did have to pay extra to change the details.
You can claim this against your book-keeping though.