PDA

View Full Version : 2 non walker and what is neglect?

mrs.h
07-09-2010, 06:33 PM
hi there,

what a day i have had. without my cousin, who is staying for a few days i really would have struggled. i had a one year old and a 18 month old, both can't walk yet and both under the weather. things like getting them in and out the car were a hassle and next week i will have to put them both in the buggy to take to the car and back again. how else could i do it? after school i had another 4 (2 of mine) and now i deserve a drink.... or two.

another thing: lo seems a bit neglected in terms of her hygiene. she always has a cold, gluey eye, runny nose, thin t-shirt, no vest, dirty ears, very long nails. i feel sorry for her and wonder what i can do. she had a bladder infection a couple of weeks ago and i wondered where it came from. today i find dog hair in her nappy and on the tube of her bottom creme.

some feedback please,

thank you,

mrs.h, now opening a bottle :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
07-09-2010, 06:51 PM
hi there,

what a day i have had. without my cousin, who is staying for a few days i really would have struggled. i had a one year old and a 18 month old, both can't walk yet and both under the weather. things like getting them in and out the car were a hassle and next week i will have to put them both in the buggy to take to the car and back again. how else could i do it? after school i had another 4 (2 of mine) and now i deserve a drink.... or two.

another thing: lo seems a bit neglected in terms of her hygiene. she always has a cold, gluey eye, runny nose, thin t-shirt, no vest, dirty ears, very long nails. i feel sorry for her and wonder what i can do. she had a bladder infection a couple of weeks ago and i wondered where it came from. today i find dog hair in her nappy and on the tube of her bottom creme.

some feedback please,

thank you,

mrs.h, now opening a bottle :thumbsup:

we all get hectic days and we do what we have to do to get the kids safely to and fro.

as to your concerns - you need to follow your safeguarding policy
note down your concerns - keeping it factual and accurate
can you approach the parents - perhaps they have different ideas on hygiene or are not allowing themselves enough time in the mornings to get LO sorted. Perhaps you could approach it tactfully from the POV - of I notice you are a bit rushed (if they are) in the mornings - would it be helpful if you dropped LO to me and i will bathe her and put fresh clothes on her' or I notice she has another infection is there anything we should be avoiding that could be triggering this etc and start guaging their reactions and input

perhaps you can take take further confidential advice from the NCMA or a CDO or even the NSPCC.

if your concerns are persistant, increasing, believe the child is at risk etc then you are going to have to consider making that phone call to SS.

sarah707
07-09-2010, 07:16 PM
This is the statutory meaning of 'neglect'. The definitions were updated and some bits changed a little while ago.

I hope you find it useful. x

Neglect is the persistent failure to meet a child’s basic physical and / or psychological needs, likely to result in the serious impairment of the child’s health and development. Neglect may occur during pregnancy as a result of maternal substance abuse.

Once a child is born, neglect may involve a parent or carer failing to provide adequate food and clothing, shelter including exclusion from the home or abandonment, failing to protect a child from physical and emotional harm or danger, failure to ensure adequate supervision including the use of inadequate care takers, or the failure to ensure access to appropriate medical care or treatment.

It may also include neglect of, or unresponsiveness to, a child’s basic emotional needs.

Heaven Scent
07-09-2010, 07:27 PM
How old is the mum? Has she other children? Is the mum on her own?

Rather than it being a case of neglect it may be more a case of a lack of education and mum may be doing her best but may not know what she should be doing?

mrs.h
07-09-2010, 07:42 PM
hello,

thank you for your answers.

mum is in her mid-thirties, one child, dad is with them even though she said they don't seem to be in the same place at the same time (?). she said herself once that she doesn't do everything by the books. it is probably not neglect but just the way they are. that lo is send to me poorly is because mum has to work and not because she doesn't care. that she sends her in just a t-shirt and knows that we have to go on the school run is because she doesn't think about to bring a coat. that she sends olives for lunch is just not knowing it better, i guess.

the lo is not coming to any harm as such. but she is obviously also not very well because she is not dressed approbiate.

mrs.h

Curly Quavers
07-09-2010, 08:13 PM
By Sarah's definition it is neglect even if mother realises it or not.

I think you need to document everything accurately.

Are you in the same area as her with regards to her Health Visitor perhaps a word in the HV's ear then a visit from her might help.

Curly Quavers
07-09-2010, 08:16 PM
How old is the mum? Has she other children? Is the mum on her own?

Rather than it being a case of neglect it may be more a case of a lack of education and mum may be doing her best but may not know what she should be doing?

This comes back to the health visitor if you feel you can't "educate her" without her realising it perhaps the health visitor can,