PDA

View Full Version : smoke alarms and fire blankets

lauraleo
05-04-2008, 09:57 PM
just going through all my stuff for my ofsted visit, know I've read it somewhere but can't find it. just wanted to ask if smoke alarms can be fitted to the wall or the ceilings and if there were any specific requirements about where you fit it, also do you have to have your fire blanket fixed to the wall in the kitchen or can you have it in cupboard or on side in kitchen.
advice would be much appreciated.

Trouble
05-04-2008, 10:01 PM
smoke alarms should be fitted to the ceiling not a wall as the fire officer told me:blush: and fire blankets should be fixed to a wall near the cooker

charleyfarley
05-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Yep agree with Rascal, blanket on the wall and alarms on the ceiling

Carol xx

Trouble
05-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Yep agree with Rascal, blanket on the wall and alarms on the ceiling

Carol xx

im pleased you got your comfy chair back:laughing:

charleyfarley
05-04-2008, 10:14 PM
im pleased you got your comfy chair back:laughing:

Me too

Attic bedroom is freezing at night

Carol xx

Noodles
05-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Yeh i was told my fire blanket had to be attached to wall as i had it on bench near cooker:)

Pipsqueak
05-04-2008, 11:11 PM
Fire blanket should not be above cooker or so you would have to reach over it in anyway

Your smoke alarm should be on the ceiling and you should have at least one on each level of the building (on my brothers advice he is a fireman) I have a smoke alarm (which is attached to my house alarm) outside the kitchen door in the hall - another one (battery) along the passage way near the front door (these two are 10ft apart) and another at the top of the stairs just outside my bedroom door (battery).

If a smoke alarm is on the wall it will not detect the first swirls of smoke.

Again on my brothers advice - plan your exit routes upstairs and how you would get out from upstairs - ie throw a mattress out, drop down onto the porch roof for example.....

For windows that don't open (upstairs and down - the ones that only have the small opening at the top) - make sure you know where the weakest points are on that window (corners) so you can smash it in an emergency and think about what you would use and keep keys handy for doors and windows for a quick release.

Sorry probably too much information but my brother talks me through it all each time he is here!!!!

Trouble
05-04-2008, 11:16 PM
Fire blanket should not be above cooker or so you would have to reach over it in anyway

Your smoke alarm should be on the ceiling and you should have at least one on each level of the building (on my brothers advice he is a fireman) I have a smoke alarm (which is attached to my house alarm) outside the kitchen door in the hall - another one (battery) along the passage way near the front door (these two are 10ft apart) and another at the top of the stairs just outside my bedroom door (battery).

If a smoke alarm is on the wall it will not detect the first swirls of smoke.

Again on my brothers advice - plan your exit routes upstairs and how you would get out from upstairs - ie throw a mattress out, drop down onto the porch roof for example.....

For windows that don't open (upstairs and down - the ones that only have the small opening at the top) - make sure you know where the weakest points are on that window (corners) so you can smash it in an emergency and think about what you would use and keep keys handy for doors and windows for a quick release.

Sorry probably too much information but my brother talks me through it all each time he is here!!!!

handy man to know:thumbsup:
my blanket is to the left of the cooker but near

do you have a fire extinguisher? as i should get one

charleyfarley
05-04-2008, 11:31 PM
I have an extinguisher in the car and also in the playroom

Carol xx

Trouble
05-04-2008, 11:36 PM
maybe i should get one:eek:

Mollymop
05-04-2008, 11:46 PM
As above! good luck with your visit (even though my inspector never checked all of this:rolleyes: ) X

crazybones
06-04-2008, 06:30 AM
I have an extinguisher in the car and also in the playroom

Carol xx

Thats a good idea I never thought about a fire extinguisher in the playroom. This is the furthest room from the doors/although the windows are big. Thanks.

miffy
06-04-2008, 06:44 AM
Good advice already given - just wanted to wish you luck with your ofsted visit

miffy xx

sarah707
06-04-2008, 08:05 AM
My visiting fireman told me even though I had a fire extinguisher, I shouldn't use it as it makes such a mess... :eek:

lauraleo
06-04-2008, 11:03 AM
thanks for your advice, very helpful.

miffy
06-04-2008, 11:16 AM
My visiting fireman told me even though I had a fire extinguisher, I shouldn't use it as it makes such a mess... :eek:

So what do you do then? Let the place burn down or wait til they turn up and make a mess :rolleyes:

miffy xx

Pipsqueak
06-04-2008, 02:43 PM
The fire service will rarely advise you to tackle a fire - especially if you have others to get out ot the hosue first. You should not reenter a building that is on fire.
If you think you could safely tackle it, without risk to anyone else then do but if you are minding then your first priority is to vacate the premises with children.

I have an extinguisher in the car and one in the kitchen (and van and caravan but thats a irrelevant!) - make sure you get them reguarly checked as well - local fire safety companies will advise on the best types of extinguishers and will tell you what different extinguishers do and what they are for.

xxxx

miss muffit
19-04-2008, 08:23 AM
Hi hope this doesnt sound like a silly question.. but... i now have a playroom for the children and it away from the kitchen, do i need to have a fireblanket in there? there is no cooker (except for the mindees toy one!!!)
I do have smoke alarms up?
Kaz :)

lilliuspillius
22-04-2008, 11:24 AM
i was told just a fire extinguisher in the kitchen? would be sufficient in my house, but i guess having an extra would be good practice.

littletreasures
07-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Should you renew your fire blanket after a certain number of years?

Pauline
08-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Should you renew your fire blanket after a certain number of years?

I've just posted in the other thread about them needing to meet British Standards: BS EN 1869:1997. Someone else mentioned that they should be checked annually for wear. :)

Pedagog
08-09-2008, 10:21 AM
As far as Smoke alarms are concerned if you give the local fire service a ring they will come out and fit them for you for free.

littletreasures
08-09-2008, 12:22 PM
I do check it annually,but it is now about 15 years old, so wondered if I need to renew it?

littletreasures
08-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Sorry Tim, I meant my fire blanket was 15 years old. As long as it looks ok is it still all right to use or should it be replaced?