PDA

View Full Version : Run, Juggler, Run!

venus89
07-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Save yourself!!

I had my introduction to the EYPS today and I am absolutely terrified.
The Gateway Review day is awful! The course leader said that it's like the worst interview you could have. We have four tasks to do - an interview, written tasks, a group presentation to devise and give, and a role play exercise with an actor.

I'm not sure I can do this :panic:

The Juggler
07-09-2010, 06:40 PM
oh hon, you CAN!

1. Firstly how can the written task be any worse than being on here or doing your paperwork.

They will give you a nightmare scenario and ask you what you'd do - now seeing as how we all give each other the best advice for the most awful situations on here - you'll handle that one fine!

2. Interview, not sure, they'll grill you - depends on their viewpoint of minders. You need to just be prepared for how you're going to prove to them you can influence others in CM' ing and in other places - easy - you're fab. Seriously though just be ready to wow them with all the ideas of the things you'd like to do if you ran the CM part of the local centre, or worked in local government early years or could give advice on childcare to the local ***** nursery.

3. role play I've heard is just slightly surreal, basically just the written tasks but acted out. Problem parents, child protection scenario etc.

Don't forget this is the initial review to see WHERE you are at so they can tell you where you need to work on gathering evidence. The review at the end is the one you have to prove everything and that's months away and inbetween you'll be gathering all your evidence you need for that. :)

venus89
07-09-2010, 06:46 PM
But it's all so scary!

Why did I sign myself up for this? :panic:

The Juggler
07-09-2010, 08:59 PM
But it's all so scary!

Why did I sign myself up for this? :panic:

becuase you WANT to be and EYP so you can do what you want to do later on. Focus on the end of the tunnel honey. SEE the light.x

venus89
09-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Erm, it's kind of murky out there......

But :idea: I have an added incentive now. All my mindees are leaving me next year so unless I can fill their spaces I'm going to be jobhunting. Without EYPS I reckon I could do nursery nursing. But with.......

The Juggler
09-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Erm, it's kind of murky out there......

But :idea: I have an added incentive now. All my mindees are leaving me next year so unless I can fill their spaces I'm going to be jobhunting. Without EYPS I reckon I could do nursery nursing. But with.......

exactly! that's my goal too as many of mine are off to school and high school next year and the baby mindees will start nursery elsewhere a year later.

venus89
09-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Well if I can help you at all I will :)

The Juggler
09-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Well if I can help you at all I will :)

thank you and although I won't know about EYPS am here for moral support if you need to PM me.x

venus89
09-09-2010, 08:46 PM
thank you and although I won't know about EYPS am here for moral support if you need to PM me.x

You might grow to regret that offer!

venus89
22-09-2010, 07:29 PM
So.... I had my first full day today and feel a lot better about it :D We got to meet some people who had been 'through the gateway' (my course leader is very gushing, bless her, very enthusiastic and everything is 'lovely'. 'Oh, and I've written a book, you know.....' I like a tutor with a bit of a quirky personality :laughing: ) and they're all unscathed and actually seem to think it was fairly easy. We've had the chance to talk through how we might evidence the standards so I understand that better now. So I return home calm. And to an email saying that I'm to be trained to be an observations mentor in the next few weeks, which will give me more evidence of leadership, which is one of the things which has been worrying me :thumbsup:

The Juggler
22-09-2010, 08:49 PM
So.... I had my first full day today and feel a lot better about it :D We got to meet some people who had been 'through the gateway' (my course leader is very gushing, bless her, very enthusiastic and everything is 'lovely'. 'Oh, and I've written a book, you know.....' I like a tutor with a bit of a quirky personality :laughing: ) and they're all unscathed and actually seem to think it was fairly easy. We've had the chance to talk through how we might evidence the standards so I understand that better now. So I return home calm. And to an email saying that I'm to be trained to be an observations mentor in the next few weeks, which will give me more evidence of leadership, which is one of the things which has been worrying me :thumbsup:

:clapping: :clapping: glad you are feeling more confident honey. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: to the training - who is doing that for you your D.O. - lucky you!

venus89
24-09-2010, 12:46 PM
:clapping: :clapping: glad you are feeling more confident honey. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: to the training - who is doing that for you your D.O. - lucky you!

My network coordinator. It's bizarre, I though my obs were pretty poor in comparison to some of the files of stuff other people have as all mine are in books rather tan loose leaf, it's hard to see what's what. But she said the detail in them is good, the explaining, and that mentoring others I could help them to do that. So I jumped at the chance :laughing: