PDA

View Full Version : 3 week old baby

singlewiththree
07-09-2010, 01:30 PM
I've just had an enquiry for a 3 week old baby for 3 days a week while mum goes back to university. Have any of you cared for a baby so young, he should be about 6 weeks by the time she starts I think.

cuffleygirl
07-09-2010, 01:35 PM
I have had a 8 week old baby in the past - but only 'cos mum was a good friend - I would be heartbroken to leave my 3 week old - so sad, suppose needs must?

It could certainly be demanding - good luck

Pipsqueak
07-09-2010, 01:37 PM
i have cared for my friends' LO's when they were diddly dots.
I currently have a 14 wk old :) , she should have started with me when she was 11weeks old but I was on hols.

singlewiththree
07-09-2010, 01:37 PM
I have emailed asking her to come and see me. I have a 3 week old nephew at the moment, I'm lucky as the children I care for on those days come in the afternoon so would be able to give 1-1 with baby after school run, there would only be weds that I would have a 2yr old all day too.

kindredspirits
07-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Aww no i've never cared for a baby so young - the youngest was 3 months and he was a little angel. I would do it in an instant though, a child of that age really needs stability and if you can offer it then that would be lovely.

Blaze
07-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Yes - I cared for a 2 week old - but I knew the Mum really well...would do it again in a heartbeat....feeling all broody now!:blush:

solly
07-09-2010, 03:58 PM
I have just finished with a LO because he is going to pre-school.Mum is expecting a baby the 18th Decemeber and has got college when they start back in Jan and would like me to have baby just 1 day a week so when i have baby it will be diddy:)

karenandsmile
07-09-2010, 04:03 PM
i cared for a 3 week old baby for 2 weeks while the mother got over her postnatal depression and the father had to work i loved it felt sorry for the mum but i had a whale of a time with a new born hopfully my neice is having twins oct/nov so i have offered to give her a day off now and again to give her a break cant wait love a baby we dont get them so young now. we used to get them at 3 months now we are lucky if we get them at a 6 months or a year

sandy64
07-09-2010, 05:09 PM
hi ive cared for a baby from 6 weeks was hard at first as she had been breast feeding and baby wouldnt take bottle but was great said do your routine look after like your own went very well loved her to bits had for 3 yrs. yes it is scary so young and very rewarding and mum must trust you so id say go for it do a settling in period in case but enjoy:)

zillervalley
07-09-2010, 05:53 PM
11 weeks old was the youngest I have had

Curly Quavers
07-09-2010, 06:09 PM
:eek: I am so shocked that people leave babies that young for any reason tbh.

But from a childminders point of view yes I would LOVE to look after a little one that small :)

mamasheshe
07-09-2010, 06:13 PM
i also would love to get my hands on a baby that tiny :blush: :D

sonia ann
07-09-2010, 06:17 PM
I looked after a 5 week old 4 days a week and he stayed with me until he went to school, his little sister has just left me to start school now...............when it works it's fantastic :) :)

The Juggler
07-09-2010, 06:35 PM
ahhh, so sweet. do it, do it!

Chimps Childminding
07-09-2010, 08:20 PM
When I first started I had a 10 week old. Then had a 6 week old little boy who lived across the road. I had looked after his big sisters for a few years and knew the family well (tho only as neighbours, not friends exactly). I was a bit scared to start with, but he was (and still is) and absolute delight!!
He is now 3 and I am taking him to Nursery for the first time (for me, mum took him for his first day last week) tomorrow :clapping:

bexcee
08-09-2010, 09:53 AM
I haven't had one that young but would love to! Be like having a baby again but without the sleepness nights etc.

Good luck if you decide to go for it, sounds lovely that you can give her one to one most of the time :)

singlewiththree
11-09-2010, 07:24 AM
Well they came for a visit and want me to start Monday :eek: I've sent them away to think about it with my policies to read through. I said I could really do with a couple of settling in sessions as Monday would be 8-4pm offered to do 2 hours today and the same tomorrow if they wanted and she said she could start Tuesday, I said that would help. I'm making a list making sure I have everything so can you just check if there is anything else I might need.

Lie back buggy (have P&T's and borrowing a cocoon) and Jane Powertwin
Steriliser
travel cot
baby chair suitable from birth (just trying to get one)
first stage car seat

fingers crossed it all works out, baby will have Monday morning with me alone, Tuesday all day (apart from my DD's)
Wednesday I have 2x2yr old's as well but baby will be gone before after school pickup.

jo f
11-09-2010, 07:27 AM
Awww! how lovely! I've lookes after a 6 wk old baby but whilst I was in a nursery!
Make sure u have plenty of bibs too unless mum provides them
Enjoy! x

onceinabluemoon
11-09-2010, 07:34 AM
My youngest mindee was 3 weeks old when she started. She came in for one day a week so she would always know me in her life and the transition to full time care would be an easy one for her. She is now full time (and 4 months old) and is very well settled almost a part of the family.

singlewiththree
11-09-2010, 07:39 AM
forgot to say I've got a sling! and have checked with mum it would be ok to use it if he was fractious.

Did you have any settling in sessions with the 3wk old before the full day?

Monday will be 8-4
Tuesday 8-2.30
Wednesday 8-2.30
But the mum has already said she may stay at uni Tues/Weds to get work done.

onceinabluemoon
11-09-2010, 07:47 AM
No settling in sessions, just right in for the kill so to speak. I took the children all out for the day that day too, lol! I had been minding baby's big sibling for 6 months beforehand so the family knew me well and were fine for me to do this.

I can't think of anything you have forgotten but will have a think and come back and say if I think of anything.