PDA

View Full Version : I've finally been assertive!

twiggy
07-09-2010, 09:09 AM
I'm feeling really fed up at the moment. Parents seem to walk all over me and think my only purpose in life is to serve them.

Yesterday I had 2 school children not turn up in the morning and no phone call.
Last night I received a text from the parent of the 2 children who didn't turn up to say they are trying walking to school on their own this week as the older child starts secondary school next year. I text back a reminder that I will require 1 months paid notice if I am not needed and I am still charging for the days they have not attended.

Another parent who's child is contracted for Thursdays after school has started to get the child's grandparents to collect him and keeps swapping his days to days I can't do. She then doesn't pay me. I sent the parent a text to reminding her that if her child does not attend payment is still due. This morning she gave me a cheque.

Another child who has just started with me and attends some mornings and after school was dropped off with a letter for me this morning. His mother has told him he has to sit in the school library until 4.15 so that he does not arrive at my house until 4.30pm. This is to avoid paying me for 1 hour. The school finishes at 3.25pm so I have emailed her stating I charge from 3.30pm. I'm not going to be messed around !!!

Only 1 more parent to sort and that is the one who turns up 20mins early and collects 15mins late. I will be asking her tonight if she wants to adjust her hours.

It feels so nice to be assertive, just hope I can keep it up.

suzyblue
07-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Well done you!
Sometimes it takes things to get really bad before you sort it out doesnt it.
Try and keep on top of it now, parents seem to know if they can mess you around or not.
My parents are all great but some seem to think they dont need to let me know whether their kids are in or not - even if it a holiday thats been booked for months! Anyway Im going to deal with this now.:thumbsup:

angeldelight
07-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Well done you :clapping:

They all sound a total nightmare

I think you are right to get firm with them all enough is enough

Hope it all works out and they take the hint

Angel xx

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
07-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Good for you, think I need to take a leaf out of your book. xx

patevans
07-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Good for you :thumbsup:

Lady Haha
07-09-2010, 12:31 PM
well done! I have to try and be assertive tomorrow and dreading it!!! I was in hospital last month and off work for three weeks and one of my after schoolers parents picked him up on Monday and said that she will have to drop Thursday from now on as she made an arrangement with another parent at the school for her son to go there on Thursday and she will have the parents child on Wednesday.

This is to get her child used to some one else in case I'm ill again which is fair enough but now I have to tell her that she needs to give me four weeks paid notice of a reduction in hours as stated in her contract. Her original hours were Mon, Tue, Thu and Fri after school and all day in hols. I kept the Wednesday free for her to be nice if she ever needed to swap days etc which she has done sometimes.

Now I also have to tell her, in such a way that I dont sound like I'm threatening her, that she will now have to have a new contract with days fixed at Mon, Tue and Fri and I will be actively seeking to fill Wed and Thu which I may well do as I also have a space on Mon and Tue, so almost a full week. I need to stress to her that if I fill these days and things go wrong with this other parent, she won't be able to back track and go back to original days!

Need to be business like, professional and assertive!!!

naartjies
07-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Well done:thumbsup: It is a good feeling to regain your contol

bexcee
07-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Well done for standing up for yourself and not letting the parents take advantage of your good nature. It's not an easy thing to do but once you've done it hopefully they won't try it on again and will know that you are running a business and not a charity.

The Juggler
07-09-2010, 01:24 PM
good for you for sticking up for yourself. what a bad bag of bad payers you've got at the moment hon.

Honestly. If they don't want the after school care there are plenty that do I'm sure!