PDA

View Full Version : Risk assessment of house and garden

SonnysMummy
05-04-2008, 08:22 PM
:rolleyes: Im doing this one now
Ok; meter cupboard at bottom of stairs. What risk does this pose and what action do i take?
Also, what action do i take for trailing wires and cables?
Thats all for now...what a lovely way to spend Saturday night:rolleyes:

Trouble
05-04-2008, 08:24 PM
how are you going to stop the kids falling on meter cup or is it too far away

also move or secure wires where kids wont get to them or touch them

crazybones
05-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Lock on meter cupboard. No trailing wires.

SonnysMummy
05-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks.:)
Do you have locks on your ovens or would it be enough if i say i minimise the risk or burning themselves by placing young children in high chairs while i'm cooking and shuting kitchen off with a safety gate...so no children will be at the cooker level when it is hot.

Kelly:)

Trouble
05-04-2008, 08:48 PM
i dont have locks on oven but have gate and no one is allowed in unless sat and strapped in highchair

SonnysMummy
05-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Ok thanks; that's what i think i'm going to do. What about the washing machine...are the risks trapping their fingers? Do i need a lock?

Trouble
05-04-2008, 08:52 PM
mines in a utility room so i dont know about that one if the doors shut and your in the room i wouldnt of thought so

breezy
05-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Hi, keep the washing machine door shut and supervise kids in kitchen should be fine, turn it off at plug too!

Trouble
05-04-2008, 09:03 PM
oppps for got about switching it off

SonnysMummy
05-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks...what about my kitchen bin. Should that be out of children's access or is it ok if it has a lid?

breezy
05-04-2008, 09:06 PM
I switch cooker off too, but not fridge!:laughing:

SonnysMummy
05-04-2008, 09:08 PM
About washing machine...can it not be used when children are in my care then?

SonnysMummy
05-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Remembered another one...toilet locks. Do you have them?:D

breezy
05-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Hi, bin should be out of access if poss, but lid on it is fine,again supervise kids!
nappies etc should go into outside bin or inaccessible bin double wrapped!

breezy
05-04-2008, 09:13 PM
washing machine can be used with kids they can help load and unload it talking bout clothes, colours textures etc. main thing is you show they are supervised at all times.
my daughter happily re programmes mine so its not just safety!
beware of toys entering wash when kids help!

breezy
05-04-2008, 09:15 PM
sorry forgot, i have toilet locks when younger children around when it's older ones it's not needed

SonnysMummy
05-04-2008, 09:33 PM
This list of risks is endless but most of it seems silly because the children will be supervised anyway!!!:rolleyes:
Outdoor bins..............what is the problem with these???:eek:

SonnysMummy
05-04-2008, 09:38 PM
About toilet locks...Why would young children be on their own in the bathroom anyway? Surely they'd only be there with me assisting them? Older children aren't going to mess around with the toilet. Maybe they will:panic:

sarah707
06-04-2008, 08:34 AM
About toilet locks...Why would young children be on their own in the bathroom anyway? Surely they'd only be there with me assisting them? Older children aren't going to mess around with the toilet. Maybe they will:panic:

Locks (if you feel you need to have them) high up only... you don't go inside the toilets with older children as you are helping them to maintain their privacy and yes they do mess about! :rolleyes:

Jinx
06-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Thanks...what about my kitchen bin. Should that be out of children's access or is it ok if it has a lid?

I bought a fab pedal bin from BandQ a few weeks ago that was lockable! It's nice and narrow too, so doesn't take up much space but is almost big enough for a black sack as a liner. (oh it's sad how I can get so excited about a bin!):laughing:

SonnysMummy
06-04-2008, 08:50 PM
How do toilet locks fit anyway? If i did have them could older children access the toilet without me having to 'unlock' it first?:D

sarah707
06-04-2008, 08:51 PM
I suppose you could fit a little sliding lock across the inside top of the door for older children's (and your family's) privacy, but if there is a risk of a younger child getting stuck, Ofsted wouldn't like it... :D

SonnysMummy
06-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Oh my!!!:D I have just clicked what you mean...i thought toilet locks were locks on the actual toilet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!And you were all talking about locks on the toilet door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I won't have locks on the doors, it would be too dangerous.
Now, do i have this right now or are there other locks that go on the actual toilet?:D

How funny!!!:laughing:

SonnysMummy
06-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Another thing...what can i say is the risk of a meter cupboard? Is it the actual meter? I can put a lock on the meter cupboard door.

miffy
06-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Oh my!!!:D I have just clicked what you mean...i thought toilet locks were locks on the actual toilet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!And you were all talking about locks on the toilet door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I won't have locks on the doors, it would be too dangerous.
Now, do i have this right now or are there other locks that go on the actual toilet?:D

How funny!!!:laughing:

Oh I'm sorry I had to laugh

No I think you are right the penny has finally dropped :)

miffy xx

SonnysMummy
06-04-2008, 09:09 PM
I have finally lost the plot...well and truely lost it!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think i have had a policy breakdown:laughing:
What a plonker i am!!!:D
I need a break...:laughing:

miffy
06-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Pour yourself a glass of wine and...................relax :)

miffy xx

SonnysMummy
06-04-2008, 09:15 PM
The thing is i can't relax!!!!!!!!!! Even when i get into bed each night i fall asleep thinking about health and ****** safety and what i need to do!!! I'm am such a stresser when i just want everything to be right...:panic:
Once i start minding i'll be fine...well, that's if i haven't gone mad beforehand:D

miffy
06-04-2008, 09:28 PM
And it will be - you seem to be well on top of everything honestly so calm down.......................please;)

miffy xx

SonnysMummy
06-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Ok...i will try:)
I'm off to bed now to dream about toilet locks:laughing:

sarah707
07-04-2008, 06:50 AM
Another thing...what can i say is the risk of a meter cupboard? Is it the actual meter? I can put a lock on the meter cupboard door.

It's the meter that's the risk... which is no longer a risk as you have a lock on the meter door.... not the toilet seat! :laughing:

Teresa
07-04-2008, 07:11 AM
i have a lock right at the top of my toilet door so adults can use it but children can not reach

miffy
07-04-2008, 07:16 AM
It's the meter that's the risk... which is no longer a risk as you have a lock on the meter door.... not the toilet seat! :laughing:

Ssssshhhhh - don't mention locks on toilets!

miffy xx

breezy
07-04-2008, 11:06 AM
I have a lock ( I wont say where) that can be opened from the outside, ofsted were fine with it, it also means I can lock door from outside to keep little ones out!

Dont stress, your pre reg visit is to help point out bits like this, most health and safety is common sense you just have to show how you would keep kids safe, supervision is most important in all things.;)