PDA

View Full Version : New and confused!

kids1st!
06-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Hi All! Needing some help ASAP! I am looking into becoming a Childminder but dont have a clue where to start! I am qualified Teaching Assistant so have experience with children aged form 4 years to 6, I also have experience in working with autism and learning disabilties. I have basic first aid and food hygiene qualifications but I think a renewal/refresher would be of good use. I have briefly studies child protection and The Children's Act as part of my TA Course. But no where should I start! I have missed deadline for college so was thinking of home learning? Which courses ideally? Diploma in Homebased Childcare, Foundation studies in EYFS? Or would I have to go through my local sure start or could this be done easily on my own?

Help please if possible much appreciated! X:laughing:

tulip0803
06-09-2010, 10:01 PM
To become a registered childminder you will have to contact your local Family Information Service and they will book you onto a briefing session which will explain the application process and the courses that you need to do. All childminders have to do an introduction to childminding course (unit 1 DHC) soon to be renamed again. All childminders have to have a valid 1st Aid cert if you are in England then this is 12 hour Paediatric first aid this has to be renewed every 3 years. You cannot register as a childminder without attending the breifing session.

The childminding courses run throughout the year with various start dates. Some councils have a grant to cover the cost of these courses when you do them through them.

Attend the breifing session and then see how it goes

Good Luck

kids1st!
06-09-2010, 11:43 PM
Thank you very much for this info! Much appreciated! And very helpful! X