PDA

View Full Version : help with sleep

*donnalouise*
06-09-2010, 06:33 PM
I have a 5 month old mindee, who clearly NEEDS sleep... but wont :(

She has been with me since last wed and only seems to take a nap when we are either in the car, or she is in the pram (which does lie flat). But at the very most 30mins!

I dont mind her napping like this... but trouble is we dont always go out, and dont want to get into the habit of having to rock her to sleep.

My development officer says Ofsted frown on babies sleeping in prams and car seats so I wanted to get her into good habits. I have a travel cot up and have tried her in this a few times... but this upset her a lot.

I think perhaps she is used to things being very quiet at nap times... but with an 11 month old and a 3.5yr old there is always some degree of noise.Any advice?

sarah707
06-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Little ones here sleep in a lie flat buggy.

I often pop them on the patio if we are inside... or in the front room with the door ajar.

I usually put some music on in the background to get them used to noise and to mask out shrieks etc.

Once they are about 2 they nap on the sofa bed and by then they are used to noise and will go through most things. :D

*donnalouise*
06-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Sarah... can you confirm that Ofsted wont have a problem with them sleeping in buggies. I dont have a problem with this - my own daughter sleeps like this!:D

I am newly registered and my development officer said this was highly frowned upon and that Mrs O would question why I allow babies to do this (when in the house).

mama2three
06-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Its what my mindee usually does too..
what does your mindee do at home?
If you can show ofsted that parents are happy with the arrangement then theres no problem as far as im aware , certainly my inspector was happy with it.

Hebs
06-09-2010, 06:52 PM
oh i sympathies, my baby mindee was like this 30 mins MAX :(

she will only sleep in a buggy, and i have permission from parents x

Chatterbox Childcare
06-09-2010, 06:54 PM
My HV told me years ago to put my own children out in the fresh air. My mindees are out in all weather, including the storms last week as they are fed, changed and dry.

*donnalouise*
06-09-2010, 06:56 PM
my mindee either sleeps on the settee, or on cushions on the floor at home(i think cuddled by parents)... both these options are out of the question as she just wouldnt be safe

Think I will get some sort of permission for her to sleep in the pram. She really does need the sleep but fights it! And I just dont have the heart to leave her crying in the cot

sarah707
06-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Sarah... can you confirm that Ofsted wont have a problem with them sleeping in buggies. I dont have a problem with this - my own daughter sleeps like this!:D

I am newly registered and my development officer said this was highly frowned upon and that Mrs O would question why I allow babies to do this (when in the house).

My inspector was absolutely fine with it ... but I cannot speak for them all I am sorry.

Risk assess - lie flat buggy meets child's needs; monitoring child carefully throughout sleep etc;

Permission - get parents written permission that child might fall asleep or be put in buggy to ensure they are transportable for school runs / outings;

Welcome booklet - mine states that children sleep on sofa bed, buggy on lie flat or car if we are out and parents are asked to read it as part of the terms and conditions of our contract;

Policy - sleeping policy states that each child's individual needs will be met while taking parents wishes into consideration etc;

Research - the Swedish model which sees children asleep outside in minus temperatures in lie flat prams. It's on teachers tv!

If you are covered and you are doing the best thing for the child with parents full knowledge I am sure it will be ok. :D

fluffysocks
06-09-2010, 07:46 PM
my mindees sleep wherever, on the sofa, in the pram or a cot. one mindee just got too distressed at the thought of a cot and happily went to the pushchair and curled up in it. Whatever is best for the child is the main priority and that is sleep!!

with regards to places to sleep as long as you have shown you have discussed options with parents and have permission from the parents for children to sleep in the pushchair then you should be fine.

As for the length of sleep i am looking after a 9 month old who has 30minute cat naps, not ideal but it suits him!

those that know the child know what is best for them, ofsted can only give the "in an ideal world" guidelines. - well thats my take on it anyways
x