PDA

View Full Version : First Day of Minding - and advice needed

VINASOL
06-09-2010, 03:35 PM
Well, today was my first day looking after S and H. This morning went well with them and J (my over-8) and my kids. My DD and S held hands all the way to school and it was so sweet.

I didn't plan today as I wanted to just observe S in play (think that's right); anyways, left them to play what they wanted to play this morning, then took them over the park this morning and a couple of thigns have come up.

S is completely accident prone. She fell over the toy pram in the park today (mainly because she was running with said pram and problems with the foam/black 'safety' stuff which had a HUGE gap so she tripped). She then banged her head whilst in Asda (wasn't doing what she was told), then missed having a serious head injury half an hour later - thankfully I got to her and saw the danger beforehand. Then walking to school in pouring rain, she was just walking and then completely slipped over. She really panicked though because was worried about what mum would say (tell her off).

The other thing, she cannot sit still for five minutes. My DD is same age and will happily sit down and do puzzles and do drawing, painting etc, but S gets bored 30 seconds into an activity. Also, because (i think) she doesn't have a garden at home, she wants to be outside constantly and has already managed to open front door (have changed that), and has tried to sneak out the back (she can't get out thankfully) but I'm wondering how I can do activities with her that will keep her entertained.

Her brother didn't want to leave when mum turned up, and apparently at after school club he's there ready and waiting for her to arrive.

Anyways, any ideas on how I can keep this figity 3-year old entertained?

mummyof3
06-09-2010, 03:52 PM
She could just be over excited and want to try everything out. You may find she will settle down a few weeks down the line.

I have a little one that would spend ALL day in the garden so I just let him. I provide lots of variety of toys and activities for him and mum says she loves the fact he can just play out in the fresh air all day and she doesn't have to run around after him :laughing:

blue bear
06-09-2010, 04:54 PM
S might be a more hands on practical sort, have had a few of these over the years, what is your garden like, can she just go in and out if she wants to? I had a little lad who lived out in the garden, digging compost, making dens, tieing knots in ropes, hammering the fence etc. Being sat down indoors did not suit.

Have you thought of having a washing up bowl with sand/compost/shaving foam/jelly/wood shavings in.
I find figety children enjoy washing up, free choice with glue, scissors pens.

I'd keep observing, try different things and see what floats her boat and build on that.

mama2three
06-09-2010, 05:00 PM
try putting some of the activities outside?
Make sure the activity stays out over a longish period so mindee can dip in and out as they like.
Its probably mainly that there is so much new to see and do that they are flitting around - try to find pips post about ' like bees not butterflies' for lots more ideas on this.
It may also just be that she is going to have a shorter attention span than your own lo - my new mindee is just the same. Im trying to get to know him , his likes and dislikes , then will start to plan the things that he will enjoy in his own way. Currently he just wants the tv , wii ,or ds - but Im trying to change his habits! My other mindee wsould spend the whole day outside if he could , it does become difficult to keep everyone happy at times!