PDA

View Full Version : advice about the 3-4 year old govt entitlement

katie0183
06-09-2010, 03:30 PM
As im sure ive said before one of my parents was being stupid and decided not to apply for nursery when she should have and subsequently count find many spaces for her son.
She then decidxed to give me notice so she could put him in private school which she has subsequently revoked as she doesnt want to send him there either.
Now shes trying to pitch to me about me getting the government funding after shes done the research apparently.
Now from what im aware of to get the 3yr old and 4yr old entitlement you have to be an 'accredited childminder' and in order to do this you have to be a network childminder.
How easy is this? Is this like a thing that takes a while? Also I noticed on some of the requirements that i need to have a relevant lvl 3 qualification which i dont have but would be willing to do.. (its in my big scheme of things to do, however ONLY with funding)
Is this even the right way to go? Does being a network benefit me that much? How do you get paid by the government for these hours?
It just seems all very confusing to me!

Thanks for your help in advance, I just want to give her the right advice.

Katie

tulip0803
06-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Speak to your Development Officer. Different councils have differnet ways of doing it. There are no Networks in both mine & the neighbouring council so I could not become accredited if I wanted to. Some have a set number of network places so unless there is a vacancy you cannot apply. Others have different criteria but if you want to do it speak to the DO to get the correct advice for your area. You may not even be able to apply until you have the L3.

If you do not want to do it just say NO - she does sound very demending and high-maintenance, I know that you love having LO though.

katie0183
06-09-2010, 03:40 PM
What is a development officer?

tulip0803
06-09-2010, 03:46 PM
We have both a council childcare development officer and a NCMA development officer at our local FIS department. If you don't have one speak to your councils Family Information Service.

Mykidsrock
06-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Hi, ive been looking into this recently as well and you can't apply to become accredited until you have gained a NVQ level 3. You can only accept the nursery scheme funding if you are accredited.

Hope that helps.

mama2three
06-09-2010, 04:10 PM
TBH even if you were to go through the process of accreditation I dont think it is the answer for this parent - it does take a while and they need a place straight away.
In our area there are only a couple of accredited minders , and my do had to research it when I asked. here you need to be working towards level 4 to be considered .

suchagoodgirl
06-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Im going through the process at the moment. Fortunatly i am on an NCMA Accredited Network and already have a level 3 NVQ. In my area (Lancashire) I have to first evidence how I meet certain criteria then my network coordinator comes and does an observation on me to identify if I've any shortfalls that require further work / training. She writes a report and then sends it to the LA who will then organise to come and make their own observations of me delivering a session. I'm expecting the process to take approx 4 - 6 months but I imagine it will vary between local authorities.

Pipsqueak
06-09-2010, 04:22 PM
As from next Monday I should be accredited - the assessor is coming out to see me as the network representative and .......

the process is quite long if there is no network already in place.
you have to be on a network which is accredited to draw down NEG funding and you have to agree to the network standards and requirements - ie training, standards etc etc.

sounds like this parent is a PIA and not sure I would want to work with her.

karensmart4
06-09-2010, 05:42 PM
I am waiting on an EY officer from County Hall to come and observe me delivering a session, then she will decide if I can become accredited or if I need to tweek a few things and have a second visit.

I applied in July and the process is on going, its not a quick thing to put in place.

In our area you have to have a L3 qualification in EY Care & Education or equilivant, Be a member of a network and have min of Good Ofsted rating before you can apply.