PDA

View Full Version : Childminding in a remote location (in Scotland)

windsweptstina
06-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Hi folks

I have been toying with the idea of setting up as a registered childminder for the last few years, and now that I have been offered a voluntary redundancy package from my employers I think now is the time to make the jump!

However, I live in a remote location, and am unsure if people will travel to me to bring their children, or indeed, if they'd want me to collect and drop off their children. I live 9 miles down a single track road, which is not uncommon in the Outer Hebrides, but I wonder if it will deter parents.

In contrast, there are no childminders locally, the local croilleagan (gaelic nursery) has a small capacity and doesn't take 0-3 year olds, and most mothers tend to take extended leave from work, or give up work to look after their kids as there is no alternative. So there is definitely scope for mindees, but what are the complications with transport?

And, is anyone else in this position?

This is my first post on the forum, so any advice would be appreciated.

C

sarah707
06-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Welcome to the forum! :waving:

I would suggest that you do a thorough poll of local availability / willingness to travel etc before you go through the registration process.

Knowing there are jobs out there for you once registered will mean it is worthwhile.

Good luck and don't forget to keep us posted :D

WeePud
09-09-2010, 07:03 AM
Hi there,

Just wanted to give a little of my input. I'm in the Inner Hebrides so have the same remote issues. I'm currently pre-registration (have my first visit at 10am today!) but I have already had interest from parents- we're limited with nursery etc too so there is big demand for childminders, and I think therefore people aren't too bothered about what will probably be seen as "minor" details such as location (well, minor if the person is otherwise the perfect person to care for your child). If we have a winter like last year I think parents will struggle to get to a minder in the middle of town, never mind quite far our ;)

Excuse the rambling, this is my first post too!

Cammie Doodle
09-09-2010, 09:12 AM
Well girls you live in a beautiful if remote part of the world lol, but just want to wish you luck , if it works out you will be getting the best job in the world

windsweptstina
09-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Thank you ladies for your encouragement!

I have to call the lady at the Care Commission back today to arrange my initial consultation... Quite exciting!

I agree with you WeePud - if there is a need for childminders then people should be okay with travelling - but the cautious side of me just worries that they won't! Out of interest, which Inner Hebridean Isle are you on - I've been to most?!

Have been chatting to mothers who have had trouble finding childcare, and believe that this is going to be a goer! I hope anyway!