PDA

View Full Version : For those of you with cleaners

cs01
06-09-2010, 01:33 PM
I am thinking about hiring a cleaner and would like to claim part of the cost as a childminding expense.

I know some of you do this and wondered if your cleaners provide you with a receipt in order for you to claim this as a tax deductible expense.

Can't see a cleaner wanting to provide me with a receipt somehow!

Thanks

BlondeMoment
06-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Think it would depend how many hours she does and how much you pay her. We don't have to have receipts for expenses under £10. As a cleaner I was paid £8 per hour

Chatterbox Childcare
06-09-2010, 06:02 PM
I have a cleaner and pay her by standing order to her account and that is my proof if ever asked.

Jelly Baby
07-09-2010, 10:54 AM
I have a couple of ladys who work together and are registered as self employed so a proper co a ssuch, theyare £15 an hour for them both or 2 hours for one so the receipt is always the same but they are happy to give one. I guess it depends on if the person is registered for tax or not.

grindal
07-09-2010, 12:32 PM
I write a receipt and ask my cleaner to sign every week. Not a proper receipt - just on a post it note.

cs01
07-09-2010, 12:43 PM
I have found someone who can start on Friday (yipee :clapping: ) so I will just explain I need a receipt. (Handwritten on a post it note with a date is fine with me). If she doesn't like that I'll have to find somebody else.

MAWI
10-09-2010, 01:02 PM
My ladies provide me wth a receipt. Its only a very basic paper receipt, but it obviously does the job.

zillervalley
10-09-2010, 01:08 PM
interested in this, do the cleaners come in while you are minding

what kind of jobs do they do for you?

I would love and ironer and just someone to do upstairs for me, would be a great help

cs01
10-09-2010, 01:20 PM

I would love and ironer and just someone to do upstairs for me, would be a great help

My cleaner started today. She managed to clean most of the house, upstairs and down. I am particularly fussy :blush: and did go over a couple of things (taps were left streaky etc) but overall am pleased with her. Should now have some spare time this w/end to do something with my own children :clapping:

I don't work Fridays but as long as you did not leave the children alone with the cleaner then I'm sure it would be ok.

Chatterbox Childcare
10-09-2010, 07:54 PM
My cleaner started today. She managed to clean most of the house, upstairs and down. I am particularly fussy :blush: and did go over a couple of things (taps were left streaky etc) but overall am pleased with her. Should now have some spare time this w/end to do something with my own children :clapping:

I don't work Fridays but as long as you did not leave the children alone with the cleaner then I'm sure it would be ok.

Just make sure that she is in your visitors book

PixiePetal
10-09-2010, 08:03 PM
my cleaner is one of my best friends, we were nannies at the same time and she has enhanced CRB due to her other job at primary school but is never left with mindees and I put her in visitors book and sign out.

She does the house except playroom when we are in and if I go out, I ask her to do it then. I reckon a quarter of what she does is used for minding so put that amount through my books. She does upstairs and I don't use that for work.

Never thought for a receipt as I only put £5 through, hope that's ok.

twise
13-09-2010, 07:14 AM
i was told by my accountant that i would have to have my cleaners NI etc otherwise i would not be able to claim for her . Something to do with employing outside services, the same applied for my gardener unless i had all his details i was not allowed to claim:(

Tracy

Chatterbox Childcare
13-09-2010, 07:40 PM

My MIL irons for 3 hours but not whilst we are in the room

Cleaners come in one a week for 3 hours and I make it my soft play/outside play planned activity

Chatterbox Childcare
13-09-2010, 07:41 PM
i was told by my accountant that i would have to have my cleaners NI etc otherwise i would not be able to claim for her . Something to do with employing outside services, the same applied for my gardener unless i had all his details i was not allowed to claim:(

Tracy

Ask the IR - they are all self employed.

Helcatt
14-09-2010, 08:15 PM
My Network Co-ordinator didn't like the idea of my cleaner coming in to the house while I was working. I don't normally work on a monday (during school hours) and she comes in when I go to school to drop off my little girl and is here from 9 til 3, so gone by the time I get here with afterschoolers.

I asked the cleaning company about a CRB check and they said they didn't do one but again, NC wanted her CRB checked. Even though I don't work when she's there, if I do have a child in on a monday, we stay out at playgroup until school pick up and cleaner would never be left unsupervised anyway

But in terms of tax, I have no idea. One lady I know puts one third of her cleaning costs through the books, and that is something I was considering. I will ahve to discuss with the agency about receipts etc for the books

HX