PDA

View Full Version : 5yr old not in school

maisiemog
06-09-2010, 01:00 PM
I've just had an enquiry from a mum of a 5yo who has just been diagnosed as autistic. He's meant to be starting primary school this week but the school have basically said they are unable to provide the care he needs and that he needs to go to a special needs school.

This means that he isn't in school at the mo and mum wants me to have him but I'm not sure which set of ratios he comes under. It's only until Nov at the latest but probably a lot less time than that. I said I would enquire about whether I had the space for him or not.

So is he classed as one of my 5-8s or a 0-5?

em29
06-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Very tricky! I cannot for minute think that the same restrictions are in place for special needs children so give Ofsted a ring?
It definitely needs checking and presumably the mum is now applying to Special Schools?? He can't be left out of school long can he?? Let us know how you get on! Goodluck!

Hebs
06-09-2010, 01:12 PM
as he is 5 already he counts in your over 5's for numbers
its no different to them being off school during holidays x

kindredspirits
06-09-2010, 01:25 PM
I would have said he counts as an over 5, as he is 5. I am going to home school my son and as soon as he turns 5 i will be able to have my full quota of under 5's again even though he will be at home all day every day. :thumbsup:

maisiemog
06-09-2010, 01:55 PM
as he is 5 already he counts in your over 5's for numbers
its no different to them being off school during holidays x

Thats exactly what ofsted just told me....so I can take him on and then have him after school and holidays when he's in school!

sillysausage
06-09-2010, 06:39 PM
It might be worth contacting your local early years dept/SENCO etc as you may be entitled to funding to cover a support assistant....if you don't ask you don't get!

Saled
06-09-2010, 07:21 PM
I reckon he would come into your under 5's group as he's not at school full time.

He wouldn't become part of the over 5's until the 31st August after his 5th birthday or when he starts school full time.