PDA

View Full Version : OFSTED - how soon and how long was yours?

Chell
06-09-2010, 10:59 AM
I've only got a child who is under five twice a week. This afternoon he is here for 4hrs 45mins but nearly an hour of that I am out at the school.

He is here the same time next week then not with me at all the following week. I am wondering when they are likely to come.

I think the women on the phone said they would only come if I had an EYFS child here. That doesn't leave much options.

Also, how soon do they usually come after you get the call?

mummyof3
06-09-2010, 11:04 AM
I had only one under 5 and he was here 1 day a week for 1.5 hours. I had to ring them and it took them AGES to come out it was a good few months before they got back in touch. In my favour though they could only come out one day so I was told it would be any wednesday in the next few weeks - the inspector rang me the day before and said will be with you tomorrow at 4pm :laughing:

Cazz
06-09-2010, 11:16 AM
I was registered in September 2009 and they came out to me in March. I got a phone call in February to ask which days I was working and the ages of the children and then it was about 2 weeks later that I got a call from the Ofsted inspector to arrange a visit.

I was in a similar situation to you because my little boy on a Friday was off for several weeks by the time she phoned me so I only had early years children on a Tuesday.

This meant I knew which day she was going to come but she actually gave me a date and time (as it restricted her so much) with about 10 days notice! She said she would come at 9.30am and when I had to collect a child from nursery at 11.00am (I had a baby from 9.15am as well) she would either come with me or sit in her car and do paperwork depending which stage she was at.

As it turns out she got here at 9.30am and was finished at 10.45am!! :clapping: She said this was because I had completed my SEF so extensively and she had been able to spend several hours the day before reading it and making notes which meant she only had to look around and check my paperwork to make sure I was actually doing what I said.

I was so nervous about my inspection but had the same lady who did my pre-reg and was really nice. I would certainly recommend doing your SEF if you haven't and if you've got time - I couldn't have done mine without purchasing Sarah's e-book though.

Good luck with your inspection - I'm sure you'll be fine!

Chell
06-09-2010, 11:17 AM
I had only one under 5 and he was here 1 day a week for 1.5 hours. I had to ring them and it took them AGES to come out it was a good few months before they got back in touch. In my favour though they could only come out one day so I was told it would be any wednesday in the next few weeks - the inspector rang me the day before and said will be with you tomorrow at 4pm :laughing:

Oh no, is it likely to be that long???? I've had the call and was told to wait in at the times he is here. If it goes on for weeks then we are stuck in. :( I told her the times for last week, this week and then said he isn't here the week after. I asked if I should go any further and she said no. The child's times vary from week to week due to Dad's shifts.

Chell
06-09-2010, 11:19 AM
I'm confused now!

I had a call, it wasn't actually an inspector, just someone talking dates from me. Will the inspector give a specific date then? Have I been staying in and I needn't have?

Chell
06-09-2010, 11:45 AM
I forgot to add I have done the SEF. The women that phoned last week asked if I had. I hadn't then but said I would get some done. I managed to submit it last week.

Cazz
06-09-2010, 11:48 AM
When I got that initial phone call asking which days I had Early Years Children (they're only interested in that age group) he told me I would receive another phone call but I didn't expect to be given a date and time!

Did they tell you that it could be anytime now? If so, maybe it's the way that they do it now that another company is doing the inspections?

I don't think they would expect you to sit in the house with your mindee waiting as part of the EYFS expectations are that you take the child out each day.

This is the reason why I thought they normally phone you again - they would find out what you have planned for the next couple of weeks (and then say to you that it could be any of x amount of days) so they have an idea when you're going to be in and don't have a wasted journey.

maisiemog
06-09-2010, 01:20 PM
I rang on the wednesday to say I'd finally started minding. Ofted rang on the monday and she came to do my inspection the next day!

Chell
09-09-2010, 01:09 PM
I rang OFSTED after posting this thread as what had been said on here and by a Facebook friend had me wondering if I was to stay in or not.

I relayed the converstaion with the person who rang me to OFSTED. She asked how many dates they had taken (last Thu, Mon just gone and today). I explained that the days the child comes varies from week to week due to shift work. He is off next week. I asked the person if they wanted dates beyond this and was told no.

The lady from OFSTED said it sounded like I did need to wait in. Today being the third day, I've waited in again and they've not come. They know I do the school run mid afternoon. They could come after that but it would only leave two hours. I'm so fed up waiting and worrying. :( It isn't fair on my mindee or mny daughter as we can't go out as we normally would.

caz3007
09-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Perhaps the new company are going to have to have a rethink on how they are going to organise inspections, after all we cant be expected to wait in for days in case they come, the children are going to be missing out on groups and nice sunny days, lets face it the sunny days arent going to be around for long, are they

doodles
09-09-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm confused now!

I had a call, it wasn't actually an inspector, just someone talking dates from me. Will the inspector give a specific date then? Have I been staying in and I needn't have?

Hi Chell, Im the same. Had call from someone in Nottingham office working on behalf of Ofsted and i asked whether the inspector would call beforehand but she just said it will be in the next 7 days so try and stay in!

Tinglesnark
09-09-2010, 02:22 PM
i had to call them myself and that was in march - i STILL havent heard from them and my mindee has been and gone :rolleyes:

x

Chell
09-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Hi Chell, Im the same. Had call from someone in Nottingham office working on behalf of Ofsted and i asked whether the inspector would call beforehand but she just said it will be in the next 7 days so try and stay in!

It was over a week ago that they asked for dates, I've stayed in the three dates in that time that I had an under 5. They didn't want dates beyond that so they have no idea when mindee is here (times vary). Mindee is now off for a week so it is prolonged even longer. :(