PDA

View Full Version : Serial late payers!

BlondeMoment
06-09-2010, 09:17 AM
I have 3 serial late payers!!!! :angry:
I'm getting so wound up it's unreal. They get a dam good service and value for money from me. All the children's cooked meals are included in the price as well as outings (I charge £4 to cover these things) yet month after month their payment is ALWAYS about a week late. I write on their invoices the date that payments are due - usually the first childminding day of the month and it's in their contracts that payment is due the first chilminding day of every month.

I stopped one late payer Mum at the school gate and asked her to drop payment in over the weekend to which she answered "I've not had time to look at the invoice yet"! :mad: Not my problem! She didn't bother either.I've still not been paid. :angry:

I'm not at all assertive and find it really hard to confront people. I feel that as a childcarer I need to be friendly and approachable so I can't find a way to come down on these people.

Help me :panic:

hollyoaksmad
06-09-2010, 09:33 AM
You need to hand out out a new policy with late payments that you will charge £5 for every week there late on top of the payment ..something like that anyway

little chickee
06-09-2010, 09:38 AM
I agree but its £5 for every DAY late. Isuue a newsletter to that effect that everybody gets andmake sure you follow through.

I just told my serial late payer that i am now charging late fees and she was on my doorstep within an hour with my money.

BlondeMoment
06-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Do you guys have any copies of a late payment policies I could see? No idea how to word it.

mummyof3
06-09-2010, 11:08 AM
They wouldn't get away with it if they attended a private nursery so I don't understand why they think we are different. We also have bills to pay! Makes me so mad when we do a great job and they take the :censored:

I have a late payment policy but usually get my payment on time except when it comes to childcare vouchers :angry:

Mykidsrock
06-09-2010, 11:21 AM
I also agree with the £5 extra a DAY for late payments.

I put on the bottom of my invoices:

Invoice due by: (insert date)
If payment is not received prior to or on the due date, I reserve the right to charge a late payment fee of £5 per day that the invoice is outstanding.

I make sure it is in bold, bigger font and bright red so that it cannot be missed.

little chickee
06-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Mine is in my fees policy - i state the fees and that it is payment weekly/ monthly in advance.

Then it says " If fees are not paid on time i hold the right to apply a late payment fee of £5 per day for every day that payment is late".

Simple and to the point.

~Chelle~
06-09-2010, 12:03 PM
I also agree with the £5 extra a DAY for late payments.

I put on the bottom of my invoices:

Invoice due by: (insert date)
If payment is not received prior to or on the due date, I reserve the right to charge a late payment fee of £5 per day that the invoice is outstanding.

This is along the same sort of lines of what I have :thumbsup:

maryp0ppins
06-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Late Payment of fees policy

I work as a registered childminder as I love caring for children and supporting their development, however it is my chosen career and business. Like you I too have bills and expenses to meet each month and therefore require a regular income. I would be grateful if you could ensure that you are prompt in paying your monthly/weekly advance invoice as agreed and signed by yourself.

If I have not received payment on the day it is due there will be an added extra charge of £5.00 per day, I will issue you with a polite reminder. If at this point after 7 days I still have not received payment I reserve the right to cease minding your child with immediate effect and seek legal advice from the National Childminding Association’s Solicitors. This may result in you being summoned to attend a hearing at County Court and if the judge finds in my favour you will also be liable to the Court for costs.

If you have had a change in personal circumstances and are now struggling to make payments, please let me know so we can make suitable arrangements. It may be that you are now entitled to additional funding through the Childcare element of the Working Tax Credit and other benefits.

This is what my policy reads......I have had problems of late with 1 of my mums....When I read this back to myself I thought why the heck Have I not been tougher.....I have got to confront her tonight about late payments & have copied this letter to hand to her........fingers crossed she'll have my money :angry:

Toothfairy
06-09-2010, 12:33 PM
I agree, its time to send out a Late Payment Policy and invoice them for every day they are late paying (inc weekends!).

sarahlorraine73
06-09-2010, 12:49 PM
I have a couple of late payers, one of them at first was withdrawing the amount from the cash machine on route (only allows a max of £300 per day) so was getting it in drips and drabs, she found it to hard to do this so has decided to pay by cheque instead, I still get it a week or so after the invoice, then have to take all the mindees to town to pay the cheque in and then still have to wait 5 working days for the cheque to clear. Nightmare!!!!
If it is ok with all I shall be using your ideas also and providing newsletters with highlighted policy notes and inform of the new late fees charge. if i get really brave may also state that I am no longer able to accept cheques!!:idea:

little chickee
06-09-2010, 01:03 PM
if i get really brave may also state that I am no longer able to accept cheques!!:idea:

I stopped accepting cheques for the same reason - my bank is a 20 mile round trip away - 3 kids in the car - out the car and into buggy - pay in cheque - out of buggy into car - out of car and into house = WAY too much hassle.

Cash or direct bank transfer only now.

carol cameron
06-09-2010, 01:06 PM
I have several parents who pay me via direct debit into a bank account I use for this purpose. This got round the problem of them having to go to the bank every week and so far its worked well and I am paid on time. :)

BlondeMoment
06-09-2010, 01:19 PM

I work as a registered childminder as I love caring for children and supporting their development, however it is my chosen career and business. Like you I too have bills and expenses to meet each month and therefore require a regular income. I would be grateful if you could ensure that you are prompt in paying your monthly/weekly advance invoice as agreed and signed by yourself.

If I have not received payment on the day it is due there will be an added extra charge of £5.00 per day, I will issue you with a polite reminder. If at this point after 7 days I still have not received payment I reserve the right to cease minding your child with immediate effect and seek legal advice from the National Childminding Association’s Solicitors. This may result in you being summoned to attend a hearing at County Court and if the judge finds in my favour you will also be liable to the Court for costs.

If you have had a change in personal circumstances and are now struggling to make payments, please let me know so we can make suitable arrangements. It may be that you are now entitled to additional funding through the Childcare element of the Working Tax Credit and other benefits.

This is what my policy reads......I have had problems of late with 1 of my mums....When I read this back to myself I thought why the heck Have I not been tougher.....I have got to confront her tonight about late payments & have copied this letter to hand to her........fingers crossed she'll have my money :angry:

Wow! I wouldn't mess with you lol

The Juggler
06-09-2010, 01:22 PM
I agree but its £5 for every DAY late. Isuue a newsletter to that effect that everybody gets andmake sure you follow through.

I just told my serial late payer that i am now charging late fees and she was on my doorstep within an hour with my money.

I agree. a few years back I was asking for cheques on payday everymonth and then I'd have to cash them and then wait 5 days. In the end I said enough's, enough and did a letter to all parents telling them from that day forward I wanted to be paid by standing order. I told them it was to avoid the embarassment of having to ask for money every month, reminded them that I was going overdrawn on my direct debits because of receiving payments late. They all agreed, reluctantly.

However, if their amount is changing monthly it'll have to be done by transfers actioned monthly so I would still ask for electronic payment ( as it goes in same day usually now) but tell them it's £5/ day for late payments as someone else suggested - that should cover your o/d and late payment charges if you have any.

Honestly. SO unfair

BlondeMoment
06-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Loving all the support here guys!
I've never minded cheques until now. I pay them in when me and the kids visit the library as both my bank and the library are in town. We make a morning of it and throw pennies in the fountain etc. But when the cheques are a week late it all becomes a nightmare. I've definately got to do something. Think I'll attach a letter with all of my October invoices stating some of all your very good pionts! Then bring in a policy. Thanks guys. You've all got me reved up enough to kick some :censored: !!!!!

maryp0ppins
06-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Wow! I wouldn't mess with you lol

Yes but that's just in writing....when it face 2 face I'm like, OK OK don't worry pay it me later blah de blah...even dropped late payment charges...

Never again though...

read my thread

do people think we're that dumb :blush:

I've had some good back up from these guy's on here & I'm ready for action at 6pm pick up time :thumbsup:

watgem
06-09-2010, 02:43 PM
I hate having to ask for the money I'm owed, I usually chicken out and text my serial late payer, I think I need to send her a copy of that letter

Lady Haha
06-09-2010, 03:58 PM
I hate having to ask for the money I'm owed, I usually chicken out and text my serial late payer, I think I need to send her a copy of that letter

I'm brave behind the phone too! :laughing:

fluffysocks
06-09-2010, 08:19 PM
definately do a late payment policy, are there any other policies that need updated or are you due a contract renewal?? Could take the heat off you about the payment thing especially as you sound like me and chicken out!!!

thankfully i havent had these problems, but may be because mine says £20 fee for being late and £5 per day commencing second day!

although i would be careful about the withdrawing care bit if you are insured or using NCMA bits, have read loads if threads on here about NCMA saying they will not support your claim if you withdraw care.

BlondeMoment
09-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Thanks guys! :idea:

Am working on a little warning note to send out with my next invoices.

We'll start with that and see ...........:D

izzy23
05-11-2010, 11:22 AM
A quick heads up - Morton Michel contracts do support you in withdrawing care if payment is not made and its states this very clearly in the paperwork, I switched from NCMA to MM mostly because of this point!

blue bear
06-11-2010, 05:40 AM
all but one of mine pays by standing order, I hate chasing for money and the standing order takes away the hassle, I just bill for any extra's.

nokidshere
06-11-2010, 10:45 AM
I dont have a late payment policy as such. I issued a letter before the summer holidays stating that all payment must now be electronic and it must be in my account on or before the 1st of the month and if payment wasn't there then I would withdraw care immediately.

Everyone has complied without fuss and I haven't had any more late payments.

caz3007
06-11-2010, 02:07 PM
I was weekly paid by one family and always had to ask for it. It was by cheque and getting later and later in the week.

I suggested a standing order as we have a flexible contract but with a minimum number of hours, so I get a standing order paid in on Monday for the minimum hours and invoice for any extra, its all worked fine and at least I know whats going in my account and when

patevans
06-11-2010, 02:46 PM
I have let parents off in the past but no more, had a mindee start a few weeks ago and had a bad feeling from the start after 2 weeks of no problems Mum text me on the Sunday (fees were due Monday morning) and said im really sorry I've spent your fees...sorry (tax credits pay on a Thursday) so I text back and said fair enough I'll see you when you have my fees and whatever late charges you have built up, she turned up on the Wednesday morning with fees and 2 days late charges :clapping:

I now ask her for them every Monday morning when she comes in and would have no problem in turning her away if she doesnt have them and will continiue to do this for as long as I am childminder! :D

caz3007
06-11-2010, 04:44 PM
I have let parents off in the past but no more, had a mindee start a few weeks ago and had a bad feeling from the start after 2 weeks of no problems Mum text me on the Sunday (fees were due Monday morning) and said im really sorry I've spent your fees...sorry

That was really good of her (why cant we have a sarcastic smilie, we really need one)

I am lucky, I have one mum who pays me cash and she got paid whilst I was on holiday, but she was extremely relieved that her money went in early so she could pay me or she said she would get into difficulties.

Stormy
06-11-2010, 05:38 PM
From the beginning (nearly 7 years) I have requested weekly payment. At contract signing I give them my bank details and request a standing order to be set up. Any extras are dealt with in cash or cheque or again direct into my account. This has always worked for me and even though a lot of my families use vouchers they are paid into my account weekly too.
The way I view it is if the parent choses to be difficult and pay late I can then withrdraw the care for the following week. If it was monthly you have already provided the service.
One of my parents has the standing order leave her account Thursday so it arrives in my account on the Monday, ready for the beginning of the week.
Its very hard to be assertive over money, but with all things childminder related I learnt the hard way then changed the rules as I took on new families.
good luck x

Belly
02-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Id like to say to everyone that all your comments have been great. I too am having problems with a late payer...every month! Im becoming to hate 'pay day' where as everyone else cant wait!! :(
I just think you deserve to be paid on time, and definately wouldnt get away with it at a nursery.
I am going to give her a late payment policy today and fingers crossed i will get my money in the morning! wish me luck (or none of the family are getting christmas presents!!!)
Sarah xx

BlondeMoment
03-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Id like to say to everyone that all your comments have been great. I too am having problems with a late payer...every month! Im becoming to hate 'pay day' where as everyone else cant wait!! :(
I just think you deserve to be paid on time, and definately wouldnt get away with it at a nursery.
I am going to give her a late payment policy today and fingers crossed i will get my money in the morning! wish me luck (or none of the family are getting christmas presents!!!)
Sarah xx

Good Luck!!!!!
My serial late payers have been much better recently as I sent out a text message just before pay day reminding them payments were due and that if they're late it really messes me up so plese could they all pay on time.
It's worked for a while but the same "serial late payers" have cheesed me off again this week:

I sent out a text message to all my parents a fortnight ago saying "Invoices for December will be coming out at the end of next week. Can you please let me know by Wednesday any days that you're children won't be with me due to holidays etc...."

All of them came back with the time they'd arranged to take off EXCEPT said family! They're workaholics both of them, so I assumed they'd be working all the days they could (apart from the bank hols obviously). So invoices went out. Due Dec 1st!!!! And on that day I get a phone call.........
"I'm still trying to arrange with my boss some time off over Christmas so I'll let you know when I've sorted it and we can do another invoice"!!!!

GREAT!!! Ya know, thats fine I understand that bosses are hard to pin down but they could have said they didn't know yet in the time I asked to be informed!!!!

They just don't realise we're running a business here! So now I have to wait till next week. I need to be much firmer in the first place I think!

Andrea08
03-12-2010, 12:12 PM

my policy is worded almost the same.... it is very difficult and its part of the job i hate too... i have parents that are always late and often make up their own fees ...only got till setp 2011 then the new me is coming out....no fee no childcare and im not going to be soft any more with any new families but this one family is just hard work and im dredding my next payment from her coz she docked the last invoice...

xxx

Trouble
03-12-2010, 12:14 PM
I add this at the end because according to the NCMA once they are a day late the contract id broken so you can terminate or with hold the place, also you can only charge late payment fee per week not daily as it itnt in line with the rate of inflation but its up to you

If your invoice payment is late there will be a £10.00 late payment fee added

Then your place will be terminated and the payment arrears will be taken over by the NCMA solicitors

works for me:thumbsup: