PDA

View Full Version : House with stream in garden - Advice please!

Sianisian
05-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Hi all, I wonder if you can give me some advice. I am thinking of becoming a chilminder but worry that I may have problems with my registration as although I have a very large garden we have a stream running along the bottom of it (fenced off but children could still to it via bridge) and there is really no easy way to make it completely inaccessible to children. I have lived here for 4 years with three small children and visiting children who love it but I'm worried Ofsted may not share their enthsiasm and see it as a danger. Has anyone had similar experience? In addition we also have two large (friendly) dogs and a cat which could easily be kept out of the way but do you think this may also be problematic?!

I would appreciate any replies - thanks.

mama2three
06-09-2010, 06:38 AM
Welcome to the forum!
Your pets will not be a problem at all , especially if you can show how you can keep them seperate from the children.
Your garden sounds delightful! You need to show that you have done everything possible to minimise risks - if the stream is fenced off securely why not put a gate on the bridge so the cant get through that way?
The only real way to know is to have your preregistration visit - then the ofsted inspector has the option of giving you some actions to complete before your registration comes through - and will tell you exactly what they want you to do. This can be done whilst you are waiting for crbs and all the other processes to be completed.
Good Luck , Im sure youll be fine and the children will have a wonderful time and learn lots from your garden stream!

Sianisian
06-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Thanks for that advice Mama, I guess it's something I will have to discuss with the inspectors when the time comes.