PDA

View Full Version : how do u

hollyoaksmad
05-09-2010, 01:33 PM
get a back up childminder? please help

watgem
05-09-2010, 01:38 PM
I have been asked by a parent if I can organise this, so I have explained that I will ask my childminding friends if they are able to help, but have made it clear that I can't guarantee that I am able to do this as it depends on their ratios and whether they are willing to do it. I have explained in my welcome pack that it it is the parents responsibility to oganise emergency childcare although I will try to help if at all possible.

PixiePetal
05-09-2010, 04:28 PM
I make it clear at interview stage that parents must think of occasions when I may be ill or unable to work and what they might do. It is down to them, although I do see a couple of CM regularly who may be available for odd days if asked and if they have spaces.

I have had 2 of my friends mindees for 6 dates over the summer as she has been off and I had spaces :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
05-09-2010, 04:37 PM
A back up minder(s) are colleagues generally who you get on well with, the children are familiar with you/them and each others houses and who can potentially have yours/or you their's mindees to cover for holidays/closures/short notice etc.

So this means minders who you friendly with so you need to get pally with people and make this arrangement.
I always make it clear to clients that in no way is a space guaranteed, they are also then subject to that minders T&C's and fees (although my first choice back up minder and myself have an agreement that we honour each others price structure).

so far it's worked out really well for both of us and clients.

snufflepuff
05-09-2010, 04:57 PM
I have 2 back ups- one is a childminder who lives in the next street, the other is a friend who works as a nanny not far from my house (she is CRB checked, first aid trained and qualified) these are both for real emergencies eg needing to take a child in an ambulance. In that sort of situation i'd also be able to call on my Mum, my partner and even my neighbour.
I do not organise back up childcare for when i am ill or on holiday- that is up to the parents.

loocyloo
05-09-2010, 06:59 PM
i have 4 emergency 'covers' - my neighbour who is also my assistant, 2 childminding friends and my friend ( who is also one of 'my' mums! )

i explain to all parents that these emergency covers are there incase I have an emergency and need to leave the children. and these people know my house, the children and how to contact parents etc

if i am ill or away, then it is up to the parents to arrange alternative care, although if i can help i will, and i do have a group of CM friends who may be able to help out, but generally i find they manage themselvesl!

Lady Haha
05-09-2010, 08:52 PM
This is something I need to get sorted too after having been in hospital twice in the space of a year! I am finding it difficult though as I only have schoolies, don't go to toddler groups and therefore don't know any other childminders!

I also thought it was a requirement because my Ofsted inspector was not impressed that I didn't have a back up carer organised!

Does anyone know for sure as its gonna be so tough finding someone and then getting the mindees to meet them etc!

FussyElmo
06-09-2010, 10:39 AM
This is something I need to get sorted too after having been in hospital twice in the space of a year! I am finding it difficult though as I only have schoolies, don't go to toddler groups and therefore don't know any other childminders!

I also thought it was a requirement because my Ofsted inspector was not impressed that I didn't have a back up carer organised!

Does anyone know for sure as its gonna be so tough finding someone and then getting the mindees to meet them etc!

You should have an emergency back up in place for emergencies but this can be anyone - dh, partner, mum, neighbour etc as it is only for a short time while the parents get to them.

You dont have to have a back up cm as though it can be useful if your ill etc :thumbsup:

jelly15
06-09-2010, 12:36 PM
I have "emergency" back ups, one of which is a CM, but if I am ill or I cannot work for some reason I don't charge, so therefore am under no obligation to find alternative care.

Lady Haha
06-09-2010, 01:24 PM
You should have an emergency back up in place for emergencies but this can be anyone - dh, partner, mum, neighbour etc as it is only for a short time while the parents get to them.

You dont have to have a back up cm as though it can be useful if your ill etc :thumbsup:

Ah, thanks for that!:D