PDA

View Full Version : Would this bother you?

snufflepuff
05-09-2010, 09:53 AM
I have a mindee that was originally contracted to start at 8.30am for me to take him to school. I asked for this to be changed to 8.25am (at no extra cost, of course) because it was a bit of a rush to get him to school on time. Mum always drops off at 8.05/8.10am. After a few weeks of this i put a reminder in the newsletter about sticking to contracted times and reminded her what time she is meant to drop off. I have also made little comments eg 'oh you're early today' etc. But it didn't make a difference.
Since May he has had almost 7 hours extra which over a few years would obviously add up to a fair amount of free childcare! She pays £7 for the morning, because i charge a minimum of 2 hours a day (since regretting this as it's not worth getting out of bed for!) so do you think it is ok that she drops off early because she is effectively paying for it? Or should i have been charging her an extra fee for it eg an hours fee for every 15 minutes that he is here early??
I am actually going to give notice soon because of other issues so it shouldn't be a problem for much longer, i just wondered what you all thought.

The Juggler
05-09-2010, 09:58 AM
I think it's difficult if you've told her you are charging for a minimum of 2 hours hon, as in effect you've told her you are charging from 0700-0900.

However, she can't just arrive early. I would sit down and ask her what time she wants to drop then make sure she sticks to it. I charge £5/hour for before after school care so I'd be charging only £5.00 for an 0800 drop off.

sarah707
05-09-2010, 10:27 AM
If she is paying for 2 hours then she can use any of the 2 hours (of her choice) for care.

She can use 10 minutes, 1/2 hour or the full 2 hours because that is what her contract says.

Hth :D

Ripeberry
05-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Thank goodness she is not turning up at 7am then :D I think this is why some people apply at flat charge for mornings and don't do it as an hourly charge.

I charge a flat rate for mornings but they still have to stick to my 7.30am start, the after school charge is hourly. :thumbsup:

carol cameron
05-09-2010, 12:48 PM
I also do a 2 hour minimum charge and I do think parents feel entitled to use their two hours so it wouldn't bother me too much, especially as my children start arriving at 7.45am. However, I have always charged from the time I leave my house to go to school(for pick ups) and for the time I take to get home after drop offs. This means I charge from child's arrival until 9.15am on a morning and from 3pm on an afternoon as I wouldn't be going to the school if I wasn't childminding.

mushpea
05-09-2010, 02:16 PM
I dont see that you can stop her from arriving early as you are charging her for it,, this is why i charge per hour not a flat rate, dosent stop them arriving early but i can put my foot down and say no. as a parent if i am paying for the service then i would expect to be able to use it.

Chatterbox Childcare
05-09-2010, 02:48 PM
I do a session charge and the earlier they get the more the charge becomes. I would work by the contract.

snufflepuff
05-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Well the contract says hours are 8.25am-school drop off at a fee of £7 per day. (There's also details of the hourly rate that applies when i have him for full days in the holidays) So it doesn't say that she pays for 2 hours care. How does it work then?
Just for future reference of course, i want to learn from this!! No point bringing it up with her now if im terminating soon, lol.

Chatterbox Childcare
05-09-2010, 04:03 PM
She shouldn't start until 8.25 then

snufflepuff
05-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Thank you Debbie
So in this situation if you had asked her to arrive at the correct time and she continued to come early, what would you do?

The Juggler
05-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Well the contract says hours are 8.25am-school drop off at a fee of £7 per day. (There's also details of the hourly rate that applies when i have him for full days in the holidays) So it doesn't say that she pays for 2 hours care. How does it work then?
Just for future reference of course, i want to learn from this!! No point bringing it up with her now if im terminating soon, lol.

but you did say you said to her that you would charge for a minimum of 2 hours so she might still be under that impression that is what the £7 is for.

snufflepuff
05-09-2010, 06:08 PM
but you did say you said to her that you would charge for a minimum of 2 hours so she might still be under that impression that is what the £7 is for.

Yes you are probably be right. I can't remember exactly how i worded it at the time. I didn't say that i'd charge for 2 hours, more along the lines that the charge would be £7. She then asked about the hourly fee for when he is here all day and i said it's £3.50.....so she would have just put 2 and 2 together and worked out that she is paying 2 hours fees for it.
Must be more careful about how i say things in future!

Sarahbelle
05-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Thank you Debbie
So in this situation if you had asked her to arrive at the correct time and she continued to come early, what would you do?

If her contract says 8.25 am start then I would be charging her for the extra time!

kindredspirits
06-09-2010, 11:34 AM
what time do you start work?? if you start at 8am then i would say thats the eariest she can arrive. if he's your first mindee of the day then you are gearing your morning to an 8.25 start so don't open the door until then.:thumbsup:

snufflepuff
06-09-2010, 11:39 AM
what time do you start work?? if you start at 8am then i would say thats the eariest she can arrive. if he's your first mindee of the day then you are gearing your morning to an 8.25 start so don't open the door until then.

Yes he is always first to arrive, the others start at 8.30 and very rarely get here early. I'd love to just say i'm not opening the door early but i don't think Mum would take too kindly to it, lol!

The Juggler
06-09-2010, 01:27 PM
what time do you start work?? if you start at 8am then i would say thats the eariest she can arrive. if he's your first mindee of the day then you are gearing your morning to an 8.25 start so don't open the door until then.:thumbsup:

that's a good solution, I agree with kindred. as long as you don't have any other children, explain to her setting is not open until xxxxx but the before school charge is £7. Explain that she might have seen this as the equivalent to 2 hours fees but that is the price of the before school session for everyone.

sarah707
06-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Sorry I do see what you are all saying about the contract but can I ask you to put yourselves in the parents position...

She is paying £7 for 2 hours childcare.

Surely if she wants to use the full 2 hours for which she is paying then she should be able to.

Am I wrong here? :D

snufflepuff
06-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Sorry I do see what you are all saying about the contract but can I ask you to put yourselves in the parents position...

She is paying £7 for 2 hours childcare.

Surely if she wants to use the full 2 hours for which she is paying then she should be able to.

Yes i see where you are coming from. But from a childminder/ business point of view, she actually enquired about 30 minutes of childcare per day. Does this mean i should only charge her for that 30 mins? (Would any of you get out of bed in the morning for £1.75?? And yes, she really did think that was what i'd do) or be willing for her to potentially arrive at 7am to use her full £7 worth of childcare?

Chatterbox Childcare
06-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Have you actually tried talking to her to see what her requirements are?

Maybe she now needs additional cover and sees that she is paying for it so it wouldn't be a problem

Just talk and see..