PDA

View Full Version : tips for taking on baby mindees please

newandlearning
05-09-2010, 07:53 AM
hi everyone..

I'm taking on two babies this week.. one has had settling in and is 7 months old and I think will settle pretty good.

The other is 11 months old and I slightly concerned with this one.. we've had 3 settling in sessions.. first mum stayed.. 2nd mum left for 45 mins but mindee was upset most of this so we just couldn't continue.. and 3rd session mindee was upset but settled for more time and then got upset again.. the mindee was with me on own for around 1 & half hours this time (but I had no time for any other children in my setting as she was soo sensitive).. mum hasn't started weaning baby onto a bottle yet which I was only told after I'd tried to bottle feed lil one and all the mindee did was try grabbling at my top .. upon asking mum she said that the mindee wasn't accept the bottle properly at the mo so she would just revert to breast feeding...

I've suggested that she may like to spend sometime weaning her before she starts properly as I'd hate the mindee to be distressed about taking a bottle as well as never being left with anyone outside her own home.

I'm a lil worried and want everything to work well... please can you guys give me advice on the best way forward to help this lil one settle .. at the moment she cries and then cries even more if she is put down...

I'd really appreciate some advice.. also in your experiences when would you call parents to collect is still not settling after her next 2 settling in sessions.. and also is there a point when you would cancel the contract if not settling .. xx:panic: :)

caz3007
05-09-2010, 08:39 AM
I had an 11 month old and really struggled with the settling in, he cried a lot and it was hard work. He only comes one day a week and has been coming since March and did settle quickly once he was here longer, the first couple of times were hard, but then he became quite a delight and I got used to what he needed, ie as soon as he starts rubbing his eyes, pop him down for his nap, any longer and he takes ages to settle.

I am sure it will get better, but the mum does need to persevere with the bottle issude

emmaflossie
05-09-2010, 10:20 AM
i have 2 9 month olds 2 days a week, both on the same days.
It was a complete nightmare for the first 3 weeks but they have really settled down. My mum kindly reminded me that the other 18 month old i have was like it when he started and that it took a month or so for him to settle. Which made me feel like i would get there eventually.

I went down the tough route i stayed in the playroom and kept going over to them to calm them ... but did not pick up. i played very little with them for the first few days and tried to allow them to realise it would be different from at home when they are with me. It worked a treat :) i also found that once they were moving around they were also a lot more settled :)

i think it takes time to learn what they want at this age. i also had to go through the weaning onto a bottle stage too but we got there eventually, mum soon realsied she couldnt continue to breast feed as she stopped producing so much milk

blue bear
05-09-2010, 02:07 PM
one Lo I had start at nine months had no idea what a bottle was a screamed so much when I tried to feed her. Mum bought a breast flow bottle from mothercare which has two teats, one collapses like a real breast - it was £7 but with alot of singing and dancing to distract it did the trick.
She took a while to settle she used to play right next to me and I inched slowly away over time. Now she is 3 1/2 and is boss, lovely little girl whom i adore.

*donnalouise*
05-09-2010, 04:16 PM
I can totally understand where mum is coming from here.... I have an 12mth old baby myself and she is very very clingy. I would hate to think of leaving her with anyone but my mum as I know for a fact she would scream for hours!
Complete opposite to my eldest who would be left with anyone!!!

Im also still breastfeeding my little girl.. but to be honest at this age she really doesnt need the milk during the day as she eats a well balanced diet. The only time she has milk is bedtime and morning. At 11 months I really wouldnt try weaning on to a bottle (as they are not really recommended after 12mth anyway). I'd offer her milk or water in a tippy cup.

I guess I dont really have any advice about the little one settling - I guess just persivere! Poor little thing... I think this has to be the hardest age to seperate from mum. Good luck xx