PDA

View Full Version : Should I give my little Muslim mindee an Eid gift?

helendee
04-09-2010, 09:51 PM
This is my first time that I have looked after a Muslim child before and I know that Eid is approaching and I just wonder if anyone knows if it is acceptable for me to give him a gift? I give all my little ones Christmas pressies and I don't want little S to be left out but equally don't want to cause any offence !!!

beccas
04-09-2010, 10:10 PM
i think you wouldnt cause offence its a nice thought i am muslim and my children (mindees) get both xmas and eid off me as i get eid gifts of them also. I thin the parents would be touched by this gesture.

funfunfun
04-09-2010, 11:00 PM
I agree with becca im sue they would be touched , maybe you could celebrate eid with your mindees give them an insight what its all about :)

christine e
05-09-2010, 06:04 AM
This is my first time that I have looked after a Muslim child before and I know that Eid is approaching and I just wonder if anyone knows if it is acceptable for me to give him a gift? I give all my little ones Christmas pressies and I don't want little S to be left out but equally don't want to cause any offence !!!

If you give all your mindees a Christmas gift then I assume the muslim mindee gets a Christmas gift, I think then in would be more appropriate to give all the children an Eid gift

Cx

funfunfun
05-09-2010, 07:33 AM
I agree with the above :)

Involve all the children if one child gets a gift they all shoud .................same at xmas

Could become quite exspensive if your buying ............i suggest making somthing :thumbsup:

Tinglesnark
05-09-2010, 07:36 AM
:thumbsup: its a lovely thought! deffo buy or make something for them all and have a little celebration
x

jo f
05-09-2010, 08:59 AM
In my last job I was a key worker and got some indian sweets- look a bit like fancy fudge from an indian shop. Went down a treat!!! ( I wasn't keen but thats just me!)

beccas
05-09-2010, 09:54 AM
be careful with sweets they contain nuts you are best with a sweet called jalibeeits orange or yellow like spun sugar very sweet

helendee
05-09-2010, 02:59 PM
I won't be giving S a Christmas present as his parents are devout Muslims and do not recognise Christmas at all so is it acceptable to just give him a present for Eid and nothing at all at Christmas?

sarah707
05-09-2010, 05:09 PM
All families are different!

I would ask the child's parents for guidance :D

fluffysocks
06-09-2010, 08:09 PM
i think thats a really lovely idea and its a good chance to introduce the other children to eid as you will do at christmas to this lo.

At Christmas the lo will be exposed to the celebration so therefore it is only right to expose the other mindees to the muslim celebration. and you can explain that at christmas santa comes to their house but for muslims.........

will mean a fair bit of research but start by talking to the parents first, they will be the best source of info, just explain you want to learn more in order to be able to interact with lo about their experiences etc (as you will come christmas by asking the others what they want santa to bring)

you could do a craft activity for all the children to take home and then give the muslim child their gift privately at home time maybe?

beccas
07-09-2010, 08:50 PM
here some info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eid_ul-Fitr

http://islam.about.com/od/ramadan/f/eid_fitr.htm

http://www.when-is.com/eid-al-fitr-2010.asp

hope this is good

helendee
23-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Update to my original post.

I wish that I hadn't bothered to give fizzing Eid gifts now!!! I bought presents for both my mindee and his older brother and for their mum and didn't get even so much as a thank you. In fact she has started moaning about everything that I do and is making me feel very uncomfortable, so much so that I am now hoping that a new lo will come along as a replacement.

It doesn't always pay to be kind does it?!!:( :mad:

bexcee
23-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Sorry to hear that, hope you can either sort it out or move on

Chimps Childminding
23-09-2010, 05:28 PM
:angry: some people are so ungrateful, you would have thought she would be pleased that you even thought about it!!!!! Sometimes you just can't win :rolleyes: