PDA

View Full Version : accredited childminders advice please X

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
04-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Hi,

In October i have my training sessions to become an accredited (sp?)! childminder. I am really looking forward to becoming accredited however i am worried about any extra workload that may come with it.

I spoke to my CDO and she told me that since they introduced the eyfs there now isnt anymore paperwork for an accredited childminder as opposed to an non accredited childminder.

I just wanted to ask you accredited ladies if you feel that your work load has increased since being accredited and if it has how you have coped with it.

im hoping that this will put my worrying mind at ease :)
Thank you very much

funfunfun
04-09-2010, 11:29 AM
SOrry i am unsure :blush:

didnt want to read and run

However if this is the case i may be interested myself :)

Wheelybug
04-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Hi
I am accredited. I haven't actually had anyone use my funded places yet (1st one will be after xmas), but as far as I am aware there is no extra work. Lucky you to get training - we just get a long questionnaire to fill in!

Cathy

funfunfun
04-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Thankyou for that .............

I have parents interested in this ...........although i am not accredited yet at all

How long does this usually take ?? Do you have to have been minding so long ???

Thankyou

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
04-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks for your speedy replies

Not sure if this is correct for every area but i got told by my CDO you needed the following

ofsted graded good
NVQ level 3 CCLD
Be a network childminder
attend 3 x 2 hour training sessions

venus89
04-09-2010, 11:54 AM
I think it may vary from place to place but here in Kent there was no minimum time you needed to be minding for - al the CMs in our town were sent an invitation at the same time and some had only been doing it a couple of months.
It took a year from going on the Network to becoming accredited (which is now compulsory in our network).
Like you we had to attend the 2 training sessions. Tbh they weren't all that good, having already gone tot he OAP sessions.
I've just received my accreditation and had no need to use it yet but I don't think there's more work, beyond regularly filling in a form that says how many children are using the places?

Because ours is interlinked with being a network member I have to do more training and also have regular visits from my network coordinator, who always leaves me with a few things to do for 'homework'

funfunfun
04-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Thankyou for that

I have not yet had my inspection but am due v soon !!!

I attend the network in the next village
and would be willing to attend training .

Will have a ring on monday see what they say !!!

Thankyou

wellybelly
04-09-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm accredited, have been since January. I've not taken on any children for the NEG funded hours yet as have been full, but I get sent everything to complete when a child does start.

The paper work is'nt that bad - theres a few extra forms to complete when the child starts like ethinic origin, dates of birth etc for the council and then each term I am sent a form to complete, similar to a time sheet for how many hours i've had the child for under NEG funding.

Even though I have no children for NEG funding, I still have to complete the form every term and put 0 hours. If I had a child it would be a case of writing their name and the number of hours. Quite simple really.

And that is it. I checked with my development officer and they confirmed it was simply paper work for the council.

Hope that helps.

wellybelly
04-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Here in Derbyshire, we've had a conference to attend where other accredited childminders get together, theres a bit of training involved but nothing major.

I hav'nt had to do any extra training.

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
04-09-2010, 12:06 PM
And that is it. I checked with my development officer and they confirmed it was simply paper work for the council.

Hope that helps.

This is what my cdo said that you just have basic paperwork from the council.

Where i live there arn't any accredited childminders so the council have given 5 childminders the opportunity to become accredited, so i just wanted to be 100% sure i was making the right chioce im happy now that i am.

Thanks everyone for your advice :) :)

teacake2
04-09-2010, 12:45 PM
I have been accredited for 4 years now but don't have any children in the right age bracket at the moment. We have to attend 4 network meetings per year and do a minimum of 18 hours a year training, (the 2hr network meetings count towards this).
Our network used to include other childminders, but now is just for accredited.
The paper work used to be a lot more before the eyfs, but is no different now except for filling the headcount forms in and sending them in to get the funding
Teacake2

Carol M
04-09-2010, 03:15 PM
I agree, not more work as doing EYFS anyway.
In Worcs you have to have been minding for 2ys before you can become accredited. Things are changing in this area and hopefully its not just Network minders that will be able to do it. Our area is going to be using ECHERS ( well FICCERS for minders) to enable you to be accredited.
I don't have any lo's in this age group at the mo tho!
Carol xx

funfunfun
04-09-2010, 04:42 PM
i have 2 children and parents have asked already about when they go to school if i offer free hours .............i said not a present but maybe in the furture

Maybe its worth looking into for me

Ripeberry
04-09-2010, 06:22 PM
I meet most of the criteria except for the qualifications (don't have any apart from the basic one from the Diploma)
But even our pre-schools around us are not full, so in a way there is no point as there just are not enough children or working parents in my area.

TheBTeam
04-09-2010, 08:51 PM
I am just waiting to hear if my accreditation has been accepted, it went before the panel a week ago, so waiting to hear, as i have a few children in the age bracket that would like to use it. Not sure what extra is involved in our area, they are a bit vague!!!!!!

Eddisonsmum
05-05-2011, 09:17 PM
I think it may vary from place to place but here in Kent there was no minimum time you needed to be minding for - al the CMs in our town were sent an invitation at the same time and some had only been doing it a couple of months.
It took a year from going on the Network to becoming accredited (which is now compulsory in our network).
Like you we had to attend the 2 training sessions. Tbh they weren't all that good, having already gone tot he OAP sessions.
I've just received my accreditation and had no need to use it yet but I don't think there's more work, beyond regularly filling in a form that says how many children are using the places?

Because ours is interlinked with being a network member I have to do more training and also have regular visits from my network coordinator, who always leaves me with a few things to do for 'homework'

Hi
I noticed you are in Kent too, how do you go about becoming accredited? I have my pre reg inspection on wednesday but it is something that I want to do next. Is it something the NCMA organise or FIS? x

sarah707
06-05-2011, 05:16 PM
I am just going through the process now and there's lots of preparation paperwork and an action plan of things that haven't been done.

There's a safeguarding and some other audits, CPD evidence... all kinds of things.

The partnership coordinator says that most of the evidence will come from my SEF and other paperwork i already have in place so I'm hoping there isn't much more actual writing to do for it.

It does vary though depending on what your local bods are asking for.

:D

funemnx
06-05-2011, 05:25 PM
I became accredited a few months ago and will be claiming my free hours for the 1st time this week. It all seems fairly straight forward so far, just a parental contract to fill out and return with the hours mum is claiming. I realised that there is a deadline each time to claim so I need to get it in by Thursday. I'm sure once we get going it'll be straight forward. I also found out that I will get paid £1.00 an hour more than I charge so woo hoo!! :D

Muffin
06-05-2011, 05:38 PM
I've been accredited for a year now and have 2 children that I claim for. Apart from filling in a claim form each term there is no extra work involved. Initial paperwork to become accredited was a bit tedious but when it's done that's it.

Eddisonsmum
07-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Thanks I will look into it

desiderata
07-05-2011, 07:56 AM
I have been waiting ages for this to get started but the lady is fnally coming out to see me on Fridayxx as you say it varies from area to area so I will be following this post with interest.