PDA

View Full Version : Admin Costs

Pipsqueak
03-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Does anyone on here charge a one off fee for admin costs to cover your initial paperwork etc.

I was having a nosey while I was away for childminders in the local area and also in places where my other family live and I noticed that several charge a one off admin fee ranging from £10-20.

I have considered doing this before - when I have lost valuable and expensive paperwork due to timewasters/people who lose things etc.
But wondered if anyone who does it - what the reactions have been

miffy
03-09-2010, 09:02 PM
No, I don't do it but I think it's a good idea - depends whether other cm's in your area do it, if they don't parents might choose them instead of you. With the amount of paperwork I print off each time a new starter comes I think a charge is definitely warranted!

There was a member who used to do this but I can't remember who it was (not very helpful I know!)

Miffy xx

karensmart4
03-09-2010, 09:05 PM
No I don't I just think its part of the job ;)

Playmate
03-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Never even thought about it,but sounds like a good idea :thumbsup:

Winnie
03-09-2010, 09:13 PM
I do, £10. I've inserted a clause in my contract, its non-refundable and payable by cash only, on signing the contract. Parents really do not mind, i explain it is to cover the cost of printing my own contracts and all the permission slips, policy booklet and bits they get before starting.

Pipsqueak
03-09-2010, 09:35 PM
I do, £10. I've inserted a clause in my contract, its non-refundable and payable by cash only, on signing the contract. Parents really do not mind, i explain it is to cover the cost of printing my own contracts and all the permission slips, policy booklet and bits they get before starting.

Is it common practice in your area Winnie?
Do you charge this annually?

bexcee
03-09-2010, 09:41 PM
I would like to charge it to cover my time printing off everything and writing up contacts etc as well as the actual cost of doing it. However I'm not sure I would want to pay it if I was a parent starting with a new childminder. I just see it as part of the process and the thought of getting a new family and therefore money coming in encourages me!

Lady Haha
03-09-2010, 11:16 PM
I wouldn't stand a chance if I were to charge an admin fee!!! :laughing:

They don't like paying me when I'm actually looking after their kids, let alone for anything else!!!

wellybelly
04-09-2010, 06:17 AM
Are these charges one off / monthly / weekly?

I'd like to because the cost of ink / photo processing / paper / photocopying / my time! is expensive. I know a childminder who charges £5 a week on top of fee's. Just not sure if my parents would take kind to it.

Also would you charge for EYFS kiddies or all children - I don't tend to do as much paperwork for the older ones but they all have photo's and their own files.

Winnie
04-09-2010, 06:41 AM
Is it common practice in your area Winnie?
Do you charge this annually?

I dont know anyone else locally who does this. The reason (s) i started is that my parents policy & working practice booklet is quite big and i do my own contracts too, it all takes a lot of ink. I also feel that the time and effort of producing all this work is 'paid for' by an admin fee. It is only charged once at the signing of the contract, not annually. Its non-refundable so if they run off with my paperwork and start up their own cm business at least they've paid for it :laughing:. If a parent changed there minds in between signing and starting (not happened yet) i think I might politely ask them if they would mind returning the booklet (but obviously all the forms and contract would be useless) so I could use it again, but they might want to keep it. It’s not just the contracts and booklet its all the permissions, menu’s, routine, ‘what to bring’ sheet…the list goes on, it all takes time and effort to get right.
The parents that have just signed were more than happy to pay, its never been an issue- if they are going to take me seriously/with respect then why wouldnt they agree to pay? Its only £10 so more of a token gesture really.

Winnie
04-09-2010, 07:01 AM
Are these charges one off / monthly / weekly? Its just one charge at signing of contract. etc
I'd like to because the cost of ink / photo processing / paper / photocopying / my time! is expensive. I know a childminder who charges £5 a week on top of fee's. Just not sure if my parents would take kind to it. I agree that the cost of doing the LJ is high but it is part of what we do so wouldn’t charge extra for it. I do spend an awful lot on ink, but I would prefer to raise my fee’s than charge parents £5 every month.
Also would you charge for EYFS kiddies or all children - I don't tend to do as much paperwork for the older ones but they all have photo's and their own files.I do not have school age children but if I did I would still apply the admin fee as it covers the cost of producing the parents booklet.

Its not about money grabbing (cm’s do it for love :laughing: ) my fees are lower than most other cm’s in the area anyway because I dont run a car my overheads are lower.

wellybelly
04-09-2010, 07:06 AM
Maybe raising the hourly rate is a better and more cost effective way then. The required amount of paperwork each week is time consuming and to meet the requirements, this can be justified when approaching parents about an increase. I think with you producing your own contracts and parents booklet £10 is very reasonable Winnie.

Pauline
04-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Not wanting to sound negative here, but you put the cost of paper, ink etc. through your books as an expense, so if you were adding an admin charge you would then have to put the £10 (or whatever) through your books as income, thus cancelling each other out?

Winnie
04-09-2010, 08:21 AM
Not wanting to sound negative here, but you put the cost of paper, ink etc. through your books as an expense, so if you were adding an admin charge you would then have to put the £10 (or whatever) through your books as income, thus cancelling each other out?

I put the £10 through as income. It doesnt just cover the cost of printing its more about the quality/quantity of the paperwork supplied & time & effort i put in iygwim its not necessarily about making money :)

The Juggler
04-09-2010, 01:26 PM
I wouldn't stand a chance if I were to charge an admin fee!!! :laughing:

They don't like paying me when I'm actually looking after their kids, let alone for anything else!!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: it's a good idea though Winnie. I was sure I've seen posts of others on here that do it too Pip. £10 is probably a fraction of what it really costs.

I feel in my area it would put people off though:(

Daftbat
04-09-2010, 04:26 PM
I agree with Pauline - I can't see that it will make any difference once the accounts are done.

I view it as part of the job - like printing out stuff for planning etc - it doesn't always get used but its there for the future. Paperwork will always be part of the job and the only way i get around wasting contracts etc is to do ammendment sheets which i attached to the contract rather than re doing them.

The Juggler
04-09-2010, 04:57 PM
I agree with Pauline - I can't see that it will make any difference once the accounts are done.

I view it as part of the job - like printing out stuff for planning etc - it doesn't always get used but its there for the future. Paperwork will always be part of the job and the only way i get around wasting contracts etc is to do ammendment sheets which i attached to the contract rather than re doing them.

it would a bit, £10 is income you then get to take off all your allowances before you pay tax and tax and NI only around 1/3 so you'd probably end up with around £7-£8 in reality.

However, I agree with Winnie, it'd stop the timewasters. So if they ran off with teh paperwork, you have £10 cash to cover it.

margaret
04-09-2010, 05:25 PM
I charge a one of admin fee of £10.00 cash ,to cover my time when interviewing (first interview is always early evening no children around) cost of contracts ,learning journal etc. I do this because i get fed up with some people wasting my time ,doing contracts and changing their minds ,which yes they have every right to do.
Some people think its a babysitting service not a business.As soon as i start talking deposits,retainers,admin fees ,the time wasters disappear quickly and the people who genuinely want you are quite happy to pay.
Parents are happy to pay nurseries,pre schools admin fees why not childminders.All fees go through my accounts and parents given reciept for money,have never had any problems and i am always full.Majority of parents have said they dont feel that they pay me enough ,and cant believe the paperwork i do.