PDA

View Full Version : Still not heard back from a family

samb
03-09-2010, 08:15 AM
2 weeks ago yesterday I met with a lovely family - mum, dad and boy (22months) who wanted 3 days care. We got on well, the boy was so sweet and joined in with my 2 etc. I asked if it was ok if I rang them the following week to see if they had any questions. They said yes unless we ring you first! Anyway, left it til 8 days later and then rang, kept getting ansa phone so text xhecking I had right number. She text back straight away saying yes and sorry for not contacting but was doing extra hours at work and would love to speak to me soon about starting caring for her son. So I thought this was pretty positive! In the meantime, I have a baby starting 2 days a week in November but his mum asked me if I could do an extra day when she has to do training ( a one off). I am happy to do extra hours if I have the space but if I look after the 2nd boy I won't be able to (I am only registered for 2 children and will have 2 on that day). I have tried again to ring first boys mum saying i have been asked about a day that would clash with her sons care so if she could confirm whether or not she wants the space to let me know as I will need to tell babies mum end of week- today. I am really disappointed as my other 2 mindees are short term contracts and only 12 hours each so was hoping to have 1 a bit more long term and more hours plus this boy is similar age to my son so would have worked nicely. I am still holding out a bit of hope but can't help feeling a bit down about it:(

Mookins
03-09-2010, 08:40 AM
oh bless ya heart.....dont really have any advice togive as im only just starting out

i think id probably take it that theyve changed their minds hun:(

xxx

charlie potato
03-09-2010, 09:02 AM
i'd just ring and leave a message saying that u need confirmation as to whether they require your care asap as there is another person requiring that same day. xx:)

aly
03-09-2010, 10:03 AM
I would ring give them a certain date/time to ring back otherwise the spacewill be taken..if she wants it she will ring etc.

Very often you will find enquiries will come to nothing and they wont ring back etc...i had one last week desperate for saturday care arranged for day after no show/call etc.

some people are just rude not letting you know etc.

x

mummyof3
03-09-2010, 10:06 AM
I have had families do this to me in the past it is so frustrating but they came to nothing :( I would definately ring and leave a message to say you have had an enquiry and need to know for definate if they will be taking the place with you. If you do not hear from them within x days then the place will no longer be available. Sometime they need a rocket up their backsides!

carol cameron
03-09-2010, 03:37 PM
This has happened to me several times over the years and remains a frustrating experience when it happens:angry: . I have now learned to put a time limit on when they first visit and specify that if I haven't heard from them by X date , (usually 1 week) I cannot guarantee the place and will assume they have found a place elsewhere. It means that I have a cut off point when I can offer the space to someone else which helps to lessen the frustration a little.Hope you hear soon ,whichever way it goes.

samb
03-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Thank you for all your replies - in the meantime I had a text from the mum saying that they were on holiday and apologising for not contacting me sooner and she would like to meet to sign contracts when they return next week. :) Think I have been a lucky one this time. Although judging by some I have read on here I still shouldn't count my chickens until the ink is dry!

TammyN
03-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Thank you for all your replies - in the meantime I had a text from the mum saying that they were on holiday and apologising for not contacting me sooner and she would like to meet to sign contracts when they return next week. :) Think I have been a lucky one this time. Although judging by some I have read on here I still shouldn't count my chickens until the ink is dry!

reguarding ur dilema of being over 1 day, once both children are being in ur care you could try asking for a variation by ofsted for the training extra's and have them both for x amount of hours over ur allowance if u feel it could work.

samb
03-09-2010, 07:42 PM
I have heard about variations on here - how does that work then? It would only overlap by 1.5 hours so would be do-able. Does it take long to go through?Do Ofsted have to come out?What happens?

TammyN
03-09-2010, 08:05 PM
I have heard about variations on here - how does that work then? It would only overlap by 1.5 hours so would be do-able. Does it take long to go through?Do Ofsted have to come out?What happens?

ive just noticed ur new registered so not sure how it works but you just enquire, explain ur dilema and fill in a form on how you could meet the needs of the children/family with a benefit to them, ie mum not missing training for job, child being sent somewhere else for 1 day, etc.

samb
03-09-2010, 09:07 PM
thanks Tammy - I will look into that.