PDA

View Full Version : learning journals,scrapbooks and diaries

jake
02-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Please help iv got my first mindees coming in a week and i dont know where to start with the learning journals,what goes in them?Also what goes in the scrapbooks and diaries?I dont know where to start with the obs,assessments and the planning scares me to death as i dont know what im doing!Is there a course available that can show me how to do this? Any help will be greatly appreciated
Thanks jake x

wellybelly
03-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Please help iv got my first mindees coming in a week and i dont know where to start with the learning journals,what goes in them?Also what goes in the scrapbooks and diaries?I dont know where to start with the obs,assessments and the planning scares me to death as i dont know what im doing!Is there a course available that can show me how to do this? Any help will be greatly appreciated
Thanks jake x

LEARNING JOURNALS: Put in here examples of the children's art work, mark making and observtaions (what you notice the children have learned / are doing whilst with you)

DIARIES: Put in here specific information about the child and their day with you e.g. what they've eaten, nappy changes, what you've done activity wise and any notes for parents.

PLANNING: I put all individual planning for a child in their learning journal. You're very first planning should be what the child can do already but split it into the 6 areas of learning and development. e.g PSED / CLL / PSRN / PD / KUW / CD. Then after a while, you can plan something different from what the child may need support with.

OBSERVATION: You can make an observation using a photo of the child in an activity, example of their art work or a simple written statement about what you see the child doing. You can write these on a dedicated form (see examples in the free downloads above) or simply on post it notes. It's important that you date every one. Then link it the EYFS by either highlighting and dating the development matters (see below) or just by making a note on the observation e.g KUW, Community, Birth-11 months. Have a skim through the EYFS Practice guidance to get to know your areas - it comes with experience after a while.

ASSESSMENT: Look on the free downloads above for "development matters" and print a copy off for the learning journey, then highlight what you link an observtaion to everytime with regards to the EYFS. You'll soon find it all mounts up over time. The development matters is split into age / stage related sections so find the most suitable section for the child you care for.

Keep it simple, donr bombard yourself with lots of paperwork, find a system which works for you and enjoy it! Hope it helps x

miffy
03-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Great advice from wellybelly.

Before you can plan for the child you need to know where they are at developmentally - you can do this through observing them and making notes on what they can do now. Also ask parents for information about their child - what they can do, likes and dislikes etc - this shows you are working with the parents and exchanging information. There is an All about me booklet in downloads section you could use.

Once you know where the child is at you can plan activities that follow their interests to move them on

Miffy xx

jake
03-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Thankyou both so much,thats a great help! xx

sjane2
05-09-2010, 01:03 PM
jake I can sympathise with you as it scares me to death too I was going to ask all the same questions as I am in a panic:panic: I haven't done anything of this yet as i don't know what to do. I am looking after a little boy and have been so busy with just getting him to settle in with my son (has been hard work) I have avoided doing anything regarding observations etc.

I am just so daunted by all this. Especially linking it all to the EYFS. I am going to follow the advice and start by printing out the downloads and start having a go now.

good luck to you.

jake
05-09-2010, 07:44 PM
yes its a little scary as you dont want to get it all wrong!!have you had your first inspection yet?Im dreading it as i dont know if i could answer all the questions that they ask on this subject!Im going to spend the next few days trying to work it out,although i always get an answer to all my questions on the forum which is a big help,but im still worried about it!!Im sure we will both get there in the end,good luck jake

miffy
05-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Don't worry about your pre-reg - the inspector won't expect you to have everything in place or know it all. He/she will be there to help you this time and, of course, there's always someone on here who will help you! :)

Miffy xx