PDA

View Full Version : Should I keep her?

P.Miracle
02-09-2010, 07:40 PM
I've been childminding for a month now and everything is going well- mindees have settled in (9 month old and 8 yr old, both girls) and the parents are nice, too, so very lucky there =)

9 month old is my full time (Mon, Wed, Thurs, Fri 8am-6:30) and had been sheduled to be with me for a few months and had a nice gradual settling in period. Was tearful for the first week, but has properly got her bearings here and has learnt to crawl and pull herself to stand since I've looked after her. She is a good eater and good sleeper with a lovely routine during the day and parent is very happy with arrangement. =)

But it's the 8 yr old I'm questioning. At the moment I look after her Mon, Thurs, Fri 9 am- 6:30 pm. She was kinda sprung on me (got asked to look after her on a Mon, signed contracts on next night and started minding her the day after that!) I was only expecting to look after her for the school holidays as this is what we signed to in the contract....

....and then this week, parent asks me if I could continue to mind for when she returns to school, on the same days but from 3:30- 7pm (did originally request til 7, but I've stood my ground at 6:30!)

My charges would be £10 a session plus £2.50 a dinner( making it £12.50 a session/ £37.50 a week). I know that's a little pricey, but that's what feels right to me.

It's clear that 8 yr old is happy here and wants to stay and i think parent is too busy to hunt for alternitive childcare ( hasn't bothered looking at alternives) and is also happy with current arrangements.

Only trouble is... I am in late-middle stages of pregnancy and have a 16 month old daughter myself. 8 yr old is nice enough but (this sounds harsh) I find her really irritating (so does my husband). Our house isn't exactly big so it feels as though we're crammed on top of each other sometimes and she's constantly following me around and won't settle on activities properly unless I do them with her and she's always in the little ones' faces and has thrown a few tantrums (nothing I couldn't handle though). I find her more tiring than the baby and toddler!

Am I being too picky with who I mind? Or am I only human for feeling this way? should I offer to mind her until Jan when I go on maternity leave? Would not be prepared to have her when I have my new baby, would only want to mind for 9 month old when I come back form maternity leave.

sarah707
02-09-2010, 07:58 PM
I think you have answered your own question if you read back through what you have written.

Some children just don't fit in with you / your family / your lifestyle.

Plus £10 for 3 1/2 hours work is ridiculous! I charge more than that from school to 6... after 6 would then be an enhanced rate.

Hth :D

jo f
02-09-2010, 08:01 PM
I think she's not right for you. If she's bringing a negative feeling to your setting then I think you should let her go. I do think an older child can need a lot more attention than little ones especially as there is a huge age gap of your children. You are going to get tireder and 7 pm is a late finish!
Be true to yourself and your needs as well as that of the child. Some times things just don't work out

jumpinjen
02-09-2010, 08:05 PM
I too would be charging session fee until 5pm then after hous care until 7pm (at £6 per hour) so you are very cheap. I would also find it hard to have an older child until this time in the evening due to my own small children. I think that Jan is an extremely fair amount of time to give, but don't feel pressured to do it til then... you can give 28 days notice as per contract without a reason, state family needs if you have to!

jen x

P.Miracle
02-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Thank you all for your advice!

I don't feel like such a monster now LoL =)

Am having a talk on Saturday with parent about situation and think I'll offer to mind til end of this month to give parent time to hunt for someone new.

As for my fees- what a shock! Thought I was expensive :blush: Thanks for making me reflect on that one...can you put a price on tolerance??? :laughing: