PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!

clumpcat
02-09-2010, 05:42 PM
hi all, i'm a new childminder and i'm getting on very well apart from activity time, i find myself getting very stressed and fretful about the task in hand, the children and what they are getting out of the activity, the paperwork and the mess.
any suggestions or tips?
thank you

Emma B123
02-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Relax, its all about fun:) im not sure what you mean about paperwork but for me if the kids are having fun im having fun. I love arts and crafts and usually for the kids the messier the better lol

The Juggler
02-09-2010, 08:30 PM
well best advice is, no matter what you planned, let the kids do what they like with it. If they show no interest, let them go.

Just watch them for a while see what they really like doing and just plan your activities as a larger extension of that.

You'll be fine:)

moogster1a
03-09-2010, 06:35 AM
Find a toddler group or sure start session where they do craft stuff.
No mess at your house, other people to help, and their resources are much better than we mere mortals ever have!
Gets you out and about at the same time

clumpcat
05-09-2010, 11:36 AM
thank you for your replies, i will try some groups and also not stress too much and let the children decide what they want to do with the activity. thank you

Pipsqueak
05-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Find a toddler group or sure start session where they do craft stuff.
No mess at your house, other people to help, and their resources are much better than we mere mortals ever have!
Gets you out and about at the same time

I am quite shocked at that moogster - surely the point of childminding is homebased[/I]. I know minders who are on this merry go round of visiting and yes they then make out in their obs and photos that they have done these activities at home (makes me sick that). To me thats wrong and its cheating - there is nothing wrong of course in going to these groups and doing the activities there but to deny the children the opportunity of messy place at 'home' - well! My home is my place of work and with that I have accepted the fact that I provide messy activities - just as I have done with my own children.
As for these groups having better resources - totally disagree with that, quite often my activities are better provided for, organised, interesting, child led and tailored.

Perhaps I have missed that its a tongue in cheek comment perhaps though?

Its great to give children the opportunity to visit different groups and try out new things but I LOVE getting stuck in at home, think by your comments you would be horrified at the state of my house at times then.

Pipsqueak
05-09-2010, 12:56 PM
hi all, i'm a new childminder and i'm getting on very well apart from activity time, i find myself getting very stressed and fretful about the task in hand, the children and what they are getting out of the activity, the paperwork and the mess.
any suggestions or tips?
thank you

What are you getting stressed over? Why not just jump in with them and play.
There is a fantastic book called Like Bees Not Butterflies by Roz Bayley and Sally Featherstone. It talks a lot about true child led play, the adults role etc.
i think part of being a childminder is accepting that your home is your place of work for the best part of the day and you are providing activities that are part of your work. Activities that are messy, noisy, untidy etc. If you cannot accept that then you may need to rethink. Of course that does not mean you want your house trashed but when we make a mess then we all tidy up together.
As to the paperwork - don't get stressed about (easy to say). Are you doing too much perhaps?

Childminding is about having fun with the children, when the children are occupied and don't require your involvement or presence then take that moment to observe or do some paperwork. Your paperwork does not need to be all singing or dancing or pristinely presented.

watgem
05-09-2010, 01:50 PM
i would add to Pipsqueaks excellent advice to not be concerned about the end product of any art/craft projects, its the process the child goes through in doing something which is important, not the end result:) take lots of photos of the children participating in activities and write a few notes on dated post-its to accompany them and thats your observations done, you can do a brief evaluation and link to eyfs areas of learning and development when they go home:)

Helen Dempster
05-09-2010, 05:12 PM
I am quite shocked at that moogster - surely the point of childminding is homebased[/I]. I know minders who are on this merry go round of visiting and yes they then make out in their obs and photos that they have done these activities at home (makes me sick that). To me thats wrong and its cheating - there is nothing wrong of course in going to these groups and doing the activities there but to deny the children the opportunity of messy place at 'home' - well! My home is my place of work and with that I have accepted the fact that I provide messy activities - just as I have done with my own children.
As for these groups having better resources - totally disagree with that, quite often my activities are better provided for, organised, interesting, child led and tailored.

Perhaps I have missed that its a tongue in cheek comment perhaps though?

Its great to give children the opportunity to visit different groups and try out new things but I LOVE getting stuck in at home, think by your comments you would be horrified at the state of my house at times then.

well said! :thumbsup:

HELEN10
09-09-2010, 10:08 AM
[QUOTE=Pipsqueak;773218]I am quite shocked at that moogster - surely the point of childminding is homebased[/I]. I know minders who are on this merry go round of visiting and yes they then make out in their obs and photos that they have done these activities at home (makes me sick that). To me thats wrong and its cheating -

My children do a mixture of both. Not sure who you think it might be cheating or why it may be wrong.

It really does not matter where you do their obs etc, as long as they have access to all different activities. You are still doing your job wherever you may be.