View Full Version : Re: Tax Credits

02-09-2010, 08:00 AM
I NEED SOME HELP PLEASE, I can`t get to grips with the way Tax
Credits deal with childminders when we ring up to report parents.
I know we have other avenues open to us to report parents, but its there office that should deal with this. What gets me riled is there attitude,
after phoning them I felt that they couldn`t give a monkies, when I got off the phone I felt as though the guy had said "yeah so what"
So now Im going to try and do something about it.
After taking advice I have written and emailed a detailed letter to my local MP asking him to investgate my situation (and many other childminders situations) reguarding my mindee`s parents for none payment of their childcare tax credits to me, and how wtc dealt with me.
Just waiting now to speak to him. Have also written to a big newspaper.
DONT really know what i`m doing or who to go to, so can any one help me with suggestions? :huh:


02-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Hi Karen

I will just move your post to Minding Chat, you will get more replies there as this section is for problems with the Forum.

I hope you get some response as it is something that concerns a lot of childminders.

02-09-2010, 08:22 AM
Hi Karen

I have had the same problem in the past so I know just where you are coming from

Good luck with your letter

Well done for doing something about it

I would sit tight now and wait for a reply from the people that you have contacted

Keep us posted

Angel xx

Lady Haha
02-09-2010, 08:33 AM
Good luck and I hope it comes to something! I often wonder if my reg number is still being used by parents no longer using me. I also have an outstanding payment from a parent who gets their childcare paid by their employer, but they needed my reg number for the employer to authorise it, so not just tax credits. There should be some way of finding out who is claiming childcare using your reg number.

I think the whole system should be overhauled. I have one parent who pays with Computershare vouchers and I love the fact that it goes straight into my bank account. Maybe a system where all childcare claims went to the childminder's bank account would result in less fraud!:rolleyes:

02-09-2010, 08:40 AM
I have a parent who left last year who told me she was going to continue to claim because they would need the money :eek:

I still do not know if she is claming but did report it - at least I have covered my tracks its all I can do really

Just how long can parents claim for though once they have all your details and once they have left you

Very unfair I think

Angel xx

02-09-2010, 09:31 AM
Tax credits say that you only have to notify them when childcare payments change by £10 a week or more.
dd was going to breakfast club at school which was only £5 a week but she has now stopped going, according to the tax credits I don't have to inform them and can still claim the money from them. Obviously I've rang to tell them she has stopped but some parents wouldn't.

I think the childcare element should be paid directly to the childcarers but then there will always be someone who would fiddle the system that way.

02-09-2010, 12:17 PM
I have found they take it far more seriously if you report it a benifit fraud (which it is) than contacting tax credit.

I letter every now and again from tax credits so we can confirm payments etc would be a great solution.

Good luck and let us know if you need any help

02-09-2010, 12:35 PM
I've just rung them now about Poppy's playgroup fees. and they ahve changed it slightly.

when you ring you have to select a certain number and if you wanted to change childcare details you have to have the childcare settings details, reg number, address and contact details and to make sure they are correct and permission given as it will be checked.

maybe for new people that have acquired our details will come stuck and for ones that have had our details before and forgotten them etc it might work out ok?

02-09-2010, 01:41 PM
This is the email I have just received back from my local MP:

Thank you for your e-mail. I am sorry to hear of these issues that are affecting your business.

There are two ways in which I can try and help, firstly If you can provide detailed information of the correspondence with HMRC over the tax credit issues which have personally affected you I will gladly raise these issues with HMRC on your behalf. Secondly I can also raise your concerns over the administration of tax credits with Government Ministers, I can then provide you with a copy of the response that I receive.

I should be grateful if you can let me have details in regard to your personal situation and authority to forward your comments to the Minister

Dont know what to write back ?????????

02-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Pauline just posted my response from my Local MP not sure if I have done it properly and dont think I put my nasme on it SORRY

karen k`s

blue bear
02-09-2010, 04:35 PM
I would let him have dates you have rung and response you have got, why you rang in the first place and what you would like to happen.

02-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Pauline just posted my response from my Local MP not sure if I have done it properly and dont think I put my nasme on it SORRY

karen k`s

Looks ok to me Karen :thumbsup: