PDA

View Full Version : Feeling under pressure

em29
01-09-2010, 06:14 AM
Hi ladies - I have a new 22 month old boy starting in sep and he has come from a fellow cm in the area. She was a fab childminder and got outstanding for her last inspection.
Everyone in the area knows her at all the same groups etc but she had stopped working now. I feel very under pressure from people knowing where he has come from and judging to see if I am as good. She had a fab playroom attached to house to do amazing projects but i do not have a separate play room and I feel like i am disappointing to parents in comparison!

Any way my question is the mum has given me his 'all about me' book and asked if i wanted his observations book. Should I be taking these to continue on from or just start on my own findings? And how can I make a really good first impression to parents - I have registered and booked a tuesday morning group at the local surestart centre to run a childminding group from so that for that morning I do have a purpose built playroom mostly to myself!
I have got a hi viz jacket coming, started a buddy scheme and enrolled on nvq 3. Is there anything else that people have done to add that special welcome? Thanks x

The Juggler
01-09-2010, 06:29 AM
you will just be proving you don't need the huge playroom to be a fab minder hon. I would love one but it's not going to happen in my lifetime:(

I would take the books look at them then transfer the info to a learning journey and then do it in your own style in a way that works for you.:)

christine e
01-09-2010, 06:37 AM
Just be yourself - don't try and be someone else, the parents have chosen you to be lo's new childminder, relax

Cx:thumbsup:

sarah707
01-09-2010, 06:52 AM
I have a new little one and parents have asked me to continue using his LJ from his last childminder.

I have done this despite having my own because I am following parents' wishes.

You will be fine! Just enjoy the child :D

mrs c
01-09-2010, 07:34 AM
We all have something different to offer and you will too. I do not have a large playroom but we still manage to do lots of messy play and crafts and find somewhere to display these and my children are happy here.
Take the books to see what the previous minder has done and look at ways that you can build on these and change and add to them. This will show you that what you are doing is matching what she did and your improvements should please the parents and yourself.

singlewiththree
01-09-2010, 07:58 AM
You are an excellent childminder and you do not need to compare yourself with this person. She has given up and the parents have chosen you because they like you. I would look at the learning journey then write my starting points based on this and my own observations, it's also good to see how other people do them. Then I would give it back to the parents and start my own.

Don't worry about not having a designated playroom the parents know this. Just be yourself and try not to worry about other people and the parents as everyone does things differently thats why we are childminders. :)

blue bear
01-09-2010, 05:48 PM
This happened to me 3 years ago, parent cried when old childminder gave notice, didn't believe she could find anyone any where near as good etc.

I was really nervous, kept thinking of the comparisons but was just myself, did everything as normal. On my Ofsted I cried when mum told the inspector how pleased she was with me and said I was even better than her old childminder!!!

Try not to keep thinking parent is judging you, just enjoy the LO like you do all the others.

em29
01-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Ah thanks everyone - you are all right of course!! Best plan is to be myself and make the most of what space we have! It is just that none of us want to be a disappointment - i want them to think that I deserve the money they pay because I work hard....but that is a little ambitious I must admit!:blush: