PDA

View Full Version : Unreasonable to ask parent to switch nappies?

catswhiskers
31-08-2010, 08:55 PM
I have a 22 month old I look after for 4 days. Parents use cloth nappies. I bag up the nappies and give them to parent to take home every day. I also look after his sister (nearly 4) who also used cloth nappies since I had her at 6 months. At the time I also looked after another 6 month old who had cloth nappies so it was double!

You can probably tell I might be used to them but just before I took 2 weeks holiday (started back today) I was all ready to tell parent I couldn't do them anymore but couldn't bring myself to.

Toddler is back today and I just feel the nappies are time consuming, especially when he does a number 2! I usually have to change clothes cos poo leaks everywhere and then when I change the nappy I have to take out the lining with poo on and try to clean up the rest. I just feel that it's now getting unhygienic and messy and with two other mindees just not practical for me.

Mum is very set on these nappies but do you think it would be unreasonable for me to ask her to change to disposables?

bexcee
31-08-2010, 09:00 PM
She might consider changing to disposable when lo is with you but it depends on her reasons for using cloth nappies.

I used cloth nappies on both my sons so know it is a bit more work but it saves a lot of money not to mention all the nappies going into landfill sites.

Maybe tell the mum your concerns and ask how she deals with the messy nappies at home. I used to flush the 'solids' down the toilet and then put everything else in a nappy bag (cloth one so washable) in a nappy bucket.

If she uses cloth to save money and has already spent a lot buying cloth nappipes, wraps, liners etc then she might be unwilling to pay out for disposables now.

Talk to her and see what she has to say.

jadylasa
31-08-2010, 09:12 PM
As already been said it depends on her reasons.

If it's an environmental one then it's like a belief in a dietry requirement. you wouldn't ask a jewish parent if you could give their child non kosha food because it was a hassle to store and prepare. you would have to respect mums wishes on that front.
If it's financial, then bexcee is right she will have already forked out for the cloth ones. But if it's worth it to you, to make things simpler you could ask mum if she minds if YOU supply the nappies. (obiously depending on how many you would change in a day, you don't want to be working for nothing!!)

aly
31-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Maybe you could buy them and keep them at yours...depends on mums take on it if she is using them for money and/or just preferring them on baby's body then I wouldnt think she would be pleased to change, but maybe you can offer to use disposable at yours??...I wouldnt charge her though as it is your choice etc.

Blackhorse
31-08-2010, 09:24 PM
I used disposable ones for a while with my dd.
money was one reason, environment the other, and a big reason was the thought of a plastic nappy filled with chemicals on her bum that did not appeal to me. She also took an allergic reaction to something when she had a disposable on and I was convinced for a while it was the nappy....

I would discuss it with mum and see what she says.
I dont think you can ask her to switch as this is her decision as parent in my opinion

Ripeberry
31-08-2010, 09:39 PM
My mindee's mum uses cloth, but you can tell when she is tired or can't be bothered as she sometimes uses disposables, so I'm not sure why she uses them :rolleyes:

catswhiskers
31-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Thanks for quick replies - a lot to think about!

I'm not convinced the nappy liner can be flushed down the toilet with the poo as to me it's the same consistency as a baby wipe and I wouldn't put them down my loo. So really I may as well be using a disposable because I still have to bag up the waste and put in my bin and then bag up the cloth nappy separately.

This toddler does a lot of poos (sometimes 4 a day) so I'm forever changing clothes and just feel a disposable would be better and less time consuming.

Mum does this for the environment but the amount of hot washing she must have to do can't be good for that.

I will talk to mum tomorrow and see what she says.

Let you know what happens!

Cazz
31-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Good luck - hope she doesn't take offence!

I agree with you that the hot washes counteract the non-use of disposables and I think 4 soiled nappies a day to deal with is a lot to ask of you when you also have other children to care for.

I would also offer to provide the nappies if she agrees to you using disposables.

Hebs
01-09-2010, 05:58 AM
Liners can be flushed down the loo

as a parent who used cloth nappies i would NOT be impressed if a childminder wanted me to use disposables.
1 disposable takes over 500 years to fully decompose, yuck yuck yuck, and cloth nappies are no more messier than disposables anyway............. mum takes them home to wash.

so personally YES i do think it's unreasonable x

em29
01-09-2010, 06:19 AM
Is there any chance that the re usuables she has just aren't very good and that another re-usuable might work better?

I do understand if they are leaking poo all the time - not hygienic and very time consuming. Just ask if mum is having the same problems at home because surely the lo's clothes are getting ruined? Maybe the mum will open up a bit more to chat about her choices and you can judge if she would be willing to change brand or to disposables in your house. Good luck and let us know how you get on !!

onceinabluemoon
01-09-2010, 06:30 AM
Reading this with interest.

Bizarrely, yesterday I asked mum if it was ok if I used cloth nappies on her child because of the amount of nappies going to landfil and how long they take to degrade. She said yes. I'd love to now which nappies your mindee uses as it sounds like they're a brand to avoid and as I have to buy them I'd rather get decent ones that will last and work.

Hebs
01-09-2010, 06:38 AM
i'm rather sad in that i love nothing more than seeing a washing line full of clean nappies :blush: :blush:

curlycathy
01-09-2010, 07:03 AM
Me too Hebs - I'm so sad I took a photo of my dds nappies on the line and I used to love hanging them out first thing!!

I used Little Lambs bamboo nappies and never had any probs with leakage or nappy rash. They are shaped nappies so really simple to use (although the nursery did manage to put one on her inside out!!!)

OP - maybe you could try using those "green" disposables? Good luck!!xx

venus89
01-09-2010, 07:18 AM
I had a little one who came in cloth nappies (sometimes - in reality Mum often reverted to disposables whilst LO was here, I think it was easier whilst she was working.....) and never had a problem with them so I think the others are right and it's just the nappy she's using. Talk to Mum and find out if she has the same problem, or if she has a handy hint that can stop it happening......

Ripeberry
01-09-2010, 07:44 AM

as a parent who used cloth nappies i would NOT be impressed if a childminder wanted me to use disposables.
1 disposable takes over 500 years to fully decompose, yuck yuck yuck, and cloth nappies are no more messier than disposables anyway............. mum takes them home to wash.

Lots of CMs in my area actually refuse to have a child in cloth nappies :( But then they are full and can be choosy.

singingcactus
01-09-2010, 07:59 AM

I have to agree with Hebs. With today's detergent nappies don't necessarily need a boil wash either. And running a hot wash every other day does not compare to leaving piles of festering plastic nappies in a landfill.
Even if you put this child in disposable nappies you would still have to change the pooey nappies - the type of nappy will not cut down the number of times he poos each day. There is no guarantee either that disposable nappies would contain his poo any better and it would still take the same amount of time to change him. I can't see what difference it would make changing him to disposables.
The only thing it would do is add to the massive mountains of dirty disposable nappies in landfill, which his mother has chosen not to do.

pinky33
01-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Don't shoot me but... as ha been said on many posts before regarding many other issues, it's your business so if you don't want to use them then don't. it probably would have been better if you had said that from the start but if you have had enough then that's up to you.

I can understand where your coming from, and switching to disposables doesn't have to mean pampars or huggies there are many other bio digradable nappies on the Market, more expensive and tricky to track down but they are out there. Chat with mum see what she thinks, we tried to introduce cloth nappies here but it just didn't work for us even though I have used them for many years as a nanny.

Hebs
01-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Don't shoot me but... as ha been said on many posts before regarding many other issues, it's your business so if you don't want to use them then don't..

it is a parents choice, just as i have a parent who says child is only allowed water to drink, other have juice but this one child is only allowed water and he feels left out :(
you still need to change the nappy and i find disposables leak more than a properly fitted cloth nappy..... are you sure the plastic cover fits right??

bexcee
01-09-2010, 09:33 AM
I used to use bumgenuis, little lambs and tot bots on my children and very rarely had a leak. Disposables leak too don't forget.

I would love to have a baby in cloth nappies again, use to love my little cloth bummed babies and hanging a row of clean nappies on the line made me happy :)

The liners should say flushable on the package and be fine down the loo. Unless they are fleece or bamboo liners then they need to be washed.

How did the chat with mum go?

snufflepuff
01-09-2010, 09:58 AM
I used bumgenius on my son and the only thing that bothered me was transferring the nappies from the bucket to the washing machine- i had enough nappies to last 2 days before a wash was needed so they started to get that acidic smell from the wee. Changing them was never an issue but then he never had explosive poos so i can see why it bothers you, especially with other children around....but theres nothing to say that the same wont happen with disposables. Worth a try perhaps.
I think if my son was with a childminder and she wanted to use disposables that would be fine but i'd expect her to buy them.
This thread has inspired me to get the nappies back out- i was naughty and gave up on them when my son had a nasty tummy bug a while back....didnt want them getting too stained :blush:

Dare4Distance
01-09-2010, 10:04 AM
When we have a child I will be using cloth nappies and under no circumstances will my child wear a disposable nappy. If it's too much hassle for someone looking after my child to deal with then they wont look after my child again :rolleyes:

I'm thinking of having all children in my care use cloth nappies while with me. I hate the idea of all those nappies in landfill :panic:

Washing them has waaaaay less impact on the environment than binning nappies all the time. You don't need to boil them all the time any more :panic:

caz3007
01-09-2010, 10:15 AM
This thread makes me smile, I used terries for my DD who is now 21 and disposables were too expensive. They were nothing like they are now, they were square, needed pins and plastic pants that went brittle. My next door but one neighbour used them too and we seemed to coincide our washing day, so two lines of nappies blowing in the wind. Never had a tumble, so used to dry on the airer in the winter....happy times.

Helen79
01-09-2010, 10:20 AM
I used cloth for dd and never had any problems. I started using them on ds but have stopped because he has toddler diarrhoea and the mess was horrendous. Even as his mum I couldn't cope with the clearing up and wouldn't expect his nursery to do it either.

He's in disposables now and they still leak whenever he has a poo but it's easier to clean up.
I hate him in disposables for lots of reasons, the chemicals near his skin, the cost, the waste in the environment. I'm hoping he'll be potty trained soon so I don't have to use them anymore.

As a parent I wouldn't expect a cm to deal with ds's nappies but would probably be a bit put out if they asked me to supply disposables instead as they're expensive.

miss mopple
01-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Reading this with interest.

Bizarrely, yesterday I asked mum if it was ok if I used cloth nappies on her child because of the amount of nappies going to landfil and how long they take to degrade. She said yes. I'd love to now which nappies your mindee uses as it sounds like they're a brand to avoid and as I have to buy them I'd rather get decent ones that will last and work.

I used tots bots fluffles on my girls and they were fab :thumbsup:

I wouldn't have been happy being asked to switch to disposables at the time either. Its parental choice at the end of the day.

Just a note re flushing liners- dont do it :panic: I know someone whos drains got horribly blocked with them and cost a bomb to sort out. I used fleece liners for mine- again, more environmentally friendly and very quick to wash and dry :thumbsup:

pinkbutterfly
01-09-2010, 12:48 PM
I've been reading this with interest as I have been using cotton nappies with all my 3 children (the youngest one is still in them). I remember a few years back a nursery refused to take my daughter on with cotton nappies. Maybe you'll think this was silly but it just put me off nurseries and my daughter stayed at home with me until she went to preschool (fully toilet trained by then).
I have to say I never used disposable liners because I found that runny poo just slides down the sides and comes out onto clothes. Maybe ask mum if she has/thought of fleece liners. Ask her if she ever has the same problem. Maybe she could advise you if she has a solution. Also if you don't feel like cleaning the nappies ask if you can just bag them as they are and mum can sort the poos herself when she gets home. I suspect that the whole cotton nappy this must be important to her since she didn't even consider using biodegradables when her child is with you.

Ripeberry
01-09-2010, 12:57 PM
My mindee uses all in one cloth nappies but for my own I used to use the Motherease shaped napies with the seperate waterproof wraps. I found they worked quite well.

What put me off in the end using them past 2yrs old was the fact that I could not find any nice clothes that would fit over the nappies and I was too skint to fork out on some different nappies.

Never mind, at least I did use them for my own children :thumbsup:

the_raisons
01-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Sorry I think it would be unreasonable to ask her to switch. Her child her choice.

The Juggler
01-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Just a note re flushing liners- dont do it :panic: I know someone whos drains got horribly blocked with them and cost a bomb to sort out. I used fleece liners for mine- again, more environmentally friendly and very quick to wash and dry :thumbsup:

I agree, not even those 'flushable' toilet cleaning wipes - they can cause horrible blockages.

karen m
01-09-2010, 07:16 PM
i agree with caz3007,loved having brilliant white nappies on the line,my son is now 30 reading that post just brought back lots of happy thoughts

catswhiskers
01-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Hello everybody - wow I didn't think I'd get this much attention.

As said before, I've been using the cloth nappies with this family for 3 and a half years now, but just feel that as my other mindees are in disposables it would make life a lot easier for me and I wouldn't end up with lots of poo on my hands, sometimes floor and everywhere else! This all while trying to look after others and my own three children running for cover every time I change the nappy (they are 11, 14 and 17 so I suppose they would!

Just for the record no other childminder in my area does cloth nappies and no nurseries either. It might be parents choice but that doesn't mean to say it's other peoples choice.

As usual, I didn't get chance to speak to mum today as other parents start chatting and the mindees start acting up at home-time!

I've decided, after posting this, to put up with the nappies. Child is 22 months (although born 10 weeks early so there is some development delay) but hopefully he might start potty training in 6 months time or so.

Thanks for all your replies.

margaret
01-09-2010, 07:59 PM
I have a little one in cloth nappies as mum says disposables are to expensive.That was fine until i discovered she uses disposables at home ,because its easier for her.Since then she has all nappies,liners poo in bag ,she wasnt impressed as i had been rinsing them them out for her (cant bear filthy nappies sat in a bag ).Now waiting to see how long this will last.

Tinglesnark
01-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Hello everybody - wow I didn't think I'd get this much attention.

As said before, I've been using the cloth nappies with this family for 3 and a half years now, but just feel that as my other mindees are in disposables it would make life a lot easier for me and I wouldn't end up with lots of poo on my hands, sometimes floor and everywhere else! This all while trying to look after others and my own three children running for cover every time I change the nappy (they are 11, 14 and 17 so I suppose they would!

Just for the record no other childminder in my area does cloth nappies and no nurseries either. It might be parents choice but that doesn't mean to say it's other peoples choice.

As usual, I didn't get chance to speak to mum today as other parents start chatting and the mindees start acting up at home-time!

I've decided, after posting this, to put up with the nappies. Child is 22 months (although born 10 weeks early so there is some development delay) but hopefully he might start potty training in 6 months time or so.

Thanks for all your replies.

for what it is worth i wouldn't have even gone there in the first place :laughing: well done you for sticking it so long! to someone that has never used cloth nappies, they seem such a scary thing! :eek:

good luck with it all

x

Alibali
01-09-2010, 08:07 PM
My mindees use cloth nappies but with the fleece liners, they only leak if the wrap doesn't fit properly. As for the mess, I always use gloves to change so no mess on my hands, and everything gets bagged and sent home, I don't clean any of it out.

tulip0803
01-09-2010, 09:41 PM
i'm rather sad in that i love nothing more than seeing a washing line full of clean nappies :blush: :blush:

Me too.

I used bambino Mio & Kooshies with DD. I have one mindee that comes in disposables with a bag full of reusables:rolleyes: . I am happy to use them and send them back to Mum. Another was using them before he started but Mum has switched to disposables even though I said I was happy to use them.

Hebs
02-09-2010, 07:04 AM
i used the square ones that you fold :thumbsup:

i remember taking melissa to the baby clinic to be weighed, the looks i was getting from the other mums for using terry nappies was fab :laughing: :laughing: very much like this -----> :eek:

and when she was around 8 months old, i had a big silvercross coach built pram, she was sat in it in the garden, nappies hanging on the line and this old lady walks past, stops and says to me.... oh it's like going back in time, how lovely to see a line of clean nappies how lovely :laughing:

leeloo1
04-09-2010, 10:24 PM
I use cloth nappies on my own son and would be happy to use them on mindees too (- although sadly they all seem to love pampers etc and I just hate the thought of them all going into landfill! :( ). I don't have any leaks (and haven't since he was a newborn and I changed the wraps I use. I'd agree that fleece liners (you can cut rectangles/hourglass shapes from £2 ikea fleece blankets to make them) are far better than the disposable liners, so you could suggest that mum tries these.

However... I'd agree that you shouldn't be washing/rinsing poo - this isn't the nicest job - even for parents... just bag the whole thing and give it back. I wouldn't do it in a mean 'haha this'll make her use fake nappies' way, but just a recognition that you've perhaps been doing more than is reasonable and you don't have time to do it anymore.

Oh and its been proven that its far less of an impact to the environment to wash nappies (40 degree wash every 3-4 days and line/airer dry here) than it is for all the chemicals/landfill implications of disposables.