PDA

View Full Version : car seat dilema

mushpea
31-08-2010, 08:24 PM
I look after a 2 yrold that turns 3 next month,, they weigh 15kg so are 'heavy' enough to go in a car seat with booster and back and the adult belt, but as they not quiet 3 is this ok? am sure it goes with the weight and not the age but it just seems young,, its either that or they go in a car seat 0-4yrs which is up to 18kg but would be a bit squashed as these type of seats are not really big enough for the older toddler/child
what do you think i should do ,, would they be ok in the older one,,the weight says they would be?

bexcee
31-08-2010, 08:43 PM
It goes on weight so if they are within the weight range for the high back booster seat then go with that option. Maybe ask the parents what they currently use, I assume you have already asked his weight?

Lots of good info here: http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/

The Juggler
31-08-2010, 09:17 PM
what about a high back booster seat with integral 5 point harness instead?

jadylasa
31-08-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm prob wrong, but I think they have to be a certain height for a booster as well as weight? google car seat laws see if that enlightens you.

emmaflossie
31-08-2010, 10:07 PM
ok draggin up my training from my mothercare days here and that was some time ago lol

the rough age for suggesting to change over to a high back booster/booster is 4 but they must be 33kg. So obviously the weight is the main issue.

From memory a child can stay in a forward facing car seat until one they reach 36kg (as the 5 point harness will not hold their weight) this includes a high back booster one with the 5 point harness. or when their ears reach the back of the forward facing seat.

Personal opionion is to leave them in a forward facing car seat (5 point harness) until the max weight is reached is safer. However obviously they are safe in a highback booster otherwise this would not be the guidlines.

I would also change over to a highback booster rather than the booster seat first as this offers more protection for the back.

Another thing which i recently found out after being in a car crash is one that even if a car seat is not occupied in a crash it must be replaced and that also includes highback boosters.... not sure about boosters??

hope that waffle helps lol

emmaflossie
31-08-2010, 10:08 PM
sorry it was waffle my wieghts should be in pounds not kgs xx

mushpea
01-09-2010, 06:05 AM
yes i did ask their weight and they are 15kg exactly which is why i am a bit dubious but it does say on the side of the seat that they can go on the adult belt at 15kg,, the seat is a high back booster and it has one of the clips that hold the adult belt in the correct place so the height isnt as much of an issue, as for the 5 point harness as was suggested it would mean I would need to purchase another car seat with the harness as my other one is in use at the same time,, I dont have room to store another car seat nor do i particuarly want to spend money i dont have on another car seat if i dont need to,,obviously if i have to I will,,, and the child dosent use a car seat with parents as they dont have a car and either walk or use public transport.
AAAAHHHH!!!! stress again!! I have had this before with a previous 2yrold that was far 2 heavy at just turning 2yrs to be on the harness so he had to go on the adult belt at a young age too.

emmaflossie
01-09-2010, 06:50 AM
i tend to leave them in a full forward seat until they reach about 34 pound, we have this atm with my step daughter she has been heavy enough to go in a booster since reaching 3 but we have left her another 6 months and just changing her over now, but she is not too tall for the forward facing seat so its fine for her. If your following all the advice on the packet then you cant really go wrong.
I would suggest popping into a car seat centre or even mothercare they will give some great advice.

Im a fuss pot where car seats are concerned mainly because of the training i had at mothercare and the things you hear in the shop. I also choose to keep a child rear facing for as long as poss and have a mum atm who wants to do the same, luckily i have a large rear facing seat so its not cost me lol

loocyloo
01-09-2010, 07:20 AM
what about a high back booster seat with integral 5 point harness instead?

that is what i use for a very tall, just 3 yr old. i also use it on occaison for a tall 22mth old who looks uncomfortable in a 'normal' 5 point harness seat. her parents have just moved to the same seat as i have.

Chatterbox Childcare
01-09-2010, 07:33 AM
I have 1 tall 3 year old who is in one of these seats because he is "too tall" for the others. My other shorter 2 year old sits in a bucket type seat that is for 18mths onwards. The car seatbelt comes over the shoulder and clips in and then the seatbelt goes on as normal but I cannot see them online anymore

I did find this in Toys R Us for £35 which looks reasonable for this age:

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Babies-R-Us/Travel-and-Pushchairs/Car-Seats-and-Boosters/Highback-Booster-Seats/Newfix-Car-Seat-in-Grey%280078904%29