PDA

View Full Version : coloured chopping boards

*donnalouise*
31-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Do I need them???

I have just sent forms of to the enviromnetal health and was informed on the phone that they DO come out to inspect every childminder in this area :rolleyes:

I was just wondering if I would be required / advised to have them

Also... to anyone who has been inspected (by E.H).. whats it like? Do they check everything throughly.. or just a quick look around?

candy cat
31-08-2010, 08:36 PM
you will need to show you use different boards for bread and meats etc....i got coloured as it was easy to train my family....they check every cupboard ....you only use bleach for drains and you only use anti bac on surfaces and you change cloths t towels everyday don't you! ha! ;) good luck ps mine was lovely just read up on food hygeine cx

CAZMCA
31-08-2010, 08:43 PM
morrisons have a pack of 3 coloured boards for £2 at the moment and they each have a pic on so it is easy to see which is which, hth x

*donnalouise*
31-08-2010, 08:48 PM
thankyou - it does help. Morrisons here I come!

CAZMCA
31-08-2010, 08:59 PM
morrisons have a pack of 3 coloured boards for £2 at the moment and they each have a pic on so it is easy to see which is which, hth x

CAZMCA
31-08-2010, 09:00 PM
sorry for repeated post computer playing funnies :laughing:

karensmart4
31-08-2010, 09:11 PM
It seems that like Ofsted each Environmental officer is different, mine was lovely.
He sat down and had a list he needed to talk through with me, he asked if I had 'Safer food better business for cm' book from the Food Standards Agency, if you don't have it already it's free.

He asked to see my policies.

He asked if I cook meals or reheat.

He asked what type of snacks I give the children.

He had a general look around my kitchen and playroom and asked if I take and record daily fridge tempatures.

Another local cm had her visit a few months before me and he didn't look at any of her policies but he took swabs of her sink and work surfaces :rolleyes:

I'm sure you will be fine, they should visit once each 18mths.

rickysmiths
31-08-2010, 09:13 PM
you will need to show you use different boards for bread and meats etc....i got coloured as it was easy to train my family....they check every cupboard ....you only use bleach for drains and you only use anti bac on surfaces and you change cloths t towels everyday don't you! ha! ;) good luck ps mine was lovely just read up on food hygeine cx

I Haven't had bleech in the house for 20yrs and I have never used anti bac sprays. I have never given anyone food poisoning nor are me, my family or the mindees continually ill. i have saved a fortune over the years not buying all these chemicals as well. Good old saop and hot water works wonders and if you keep things clean there shouldn't be a problem.

I think more problems are caused by the over use of chemical cleaners and air freshers than are solved by the use of them.

linda2girls
31-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Can we use bleach in the toilet?

Linda.

rickysmiths
31-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Can we use bleach in the toilet?

Linda.

If you want to as long as the bleach is stored well out of the way of the mindees, not on the floor behind the toilet! You also need to have a COSSH sheet for it in your COSSH file.

mama2three
01-09-2010, 06:57 AM
Even within thew same area the inspectors will vary on what they check. It will also depend on the amount of cooking for children you do - my inspector asked very few questions , had a brief look in the kitchen ( not in cooker / cupboards etc) , checked through my safer food file , was happy with exception reporting for the fridge temps ( only need to record if theres a problem , not note every day) .
Another local minder was asked all sorts , even whether she records how long frozen food takes between shop and her freezer , and where this is recorded. She does provide meals for several afterschoolers whereas I just do a few lunches , maybe thats why ..or just the usual inconsistencies!
As for the chopping boards , I have them but he never asked!

venus89
01-09-2010, 07:20 AM
If you want to as long as the bleach is stored well out of the way of the mindees, not on the floor behind the toilet! You also need to have a COSSH sheet for it in your COSSH file.

A what in your what?

Chatterbox Childcare
01-09-2010, 07:23 AM
I just had a phone consultation - lots of questions asked

I suppose it depends on your council. I was not asked about different coloured boards, just that I used different boards when cooking

mama2three
01-09-2010, 07:34 AM
Control of substances hazardous to health!

I was told that we did not need this , the regulations only apply if we employed others who have access to the chemicals etc... Once you start doing coshh the list is neverending , most substances should be on there from handsoap to poster paint!

You can use what you would normally use...just keep it out of the childrens reach!

venus89
01-09-2010, 07:42 AM
Control of substances hazardous to health!

I was told that we did not need this , the regulations only apply if we employed others who have access to the chemicals etc... Once you start doing coshh the list is neverending , most substances should be on there from handsoap to poster paint!

You can use what you would normally use...just keep it out of the childrens reach!

Thank you!
Thank goodness it's not compulsory, I have more files than I know what to do with already. And I'm pretty sure that my husband's shoes and the dirty nappies all count as substances hazardous to help, neither of which are very controllable.......

PixiePetal
01-09-2010, 09:51 AM
IMO fresh cloths/tea towels everyday if not more often is a big one for keeping germs at bay - can't stand dirty dish cloths! :o

ASDA do a pack of coloured chopping boards (thin ones) too :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
01-09-2010, 01:44 PM
I was told on food hygiene course that the only way to clear all germs is bleach, anti bac and washing up liquid.