PDA

View Full Version : When do you start it?

Dragonfly
31-08-2010, 06:29 PM
It being Autumn activites, I dont think Autumn starts at the start of September does it?. I love autumn and think there is so much to do, exspecially when the leaves etc change colour.So when are you starting and what have you prepared or planned if anything.

The Juggler
31-08-2010, 06:52 PM
wait for the first signs, watch out for them with the kids. If nothing visible is happening it's harder to engage them. Just wait for leaves to turn then take it from there.

jumpinjen
31-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Leaves have begun to turn, seeds and fruits are ripening so in my view..... bring it on!!!

Here's a link to my planning for Autumn which begins next week with a pick you own trip for sweetcorn!!!!

http://little-blossoms-childminding.blogspot.com/2010/08/autumn-planning.html

jen x

Sarahbelle
31-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Leaves have begun to turn, seeds and fruits are ripening so in my view..... bring it on!!!

Here's a link to my planning for Autumn which begins next week with a pick you own trip for sweetcorn!!!!

http://little-blossoms-childminding.blogspot.com/2010/08/autumn-planning.html

jen x

Yep. Leaves are turning here too! We started our Autumn theme today with Autumn paintings! They look fab too!

The Juggler
31-08-2010, 09:20 PM
oh we are behind here. I'll be watching closely next few weeks then.

jumpinjen
01-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Hope they don't all fall off at once overnight to catch up juggler!!

I include harvesty things in my Autumn planning to use up all the yummy fruits and veg that are ripening.... I like to do traditional cooking like jam and chutney and pies and stuff!

Jen x

PixiePetal
01-09-2010, 09:35 AM
With blackberries ready now and apples in the garden, Autumn can start now!

Our farm has been held up by the rain of late but after a few nice days the harvest is cracking on. When DH says it is all done, Autumn will have officially arrived here :thumbsup:

Have home grown (well BILs!) corn cobs for lunch and apple and blackberries to make a crumble this afternoon for tea - bring it on :D

miss mopple
01-09-2010, 10:25 AM
We started a bit today. Went for a walk and talked about how we can feel the seasons changing and looked for signs of autumn. The kids collected acorns and brought them home for some crafty activities. It was a lovely way to spend an hour :thumbsup:

RachelE
01-09-2010, 12:20 PM
I go with the 'official' dates for each season, so mine will start around 21st September. (drives dh mad as he says there isnt an official date - but its in my diary!)

I intend to drag summer out as long as possible! :D

I also do a newsletter on the first day of each new season.

Rachel x

Dragonfly
01-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks JumpingJen great planning:thumbsup: I to make my own jams and chutneys, my eldest mindee loves my oven baked Rhubarb Jam, found this unusal as children arent usually that keen on rhubarb
And thank you to all the rest that replied.

We have made conker people out of clay so will take a while to dry.

1)Make a conker shape out of the clay, then make a conker shell hat with spikes (so half the conker is covered with the hat. use pipe cleaners for arms and legs (cut the pipe cleaners in half)and squash on some feet and hands. use two peppercorns for the eyes, and let dry, could take a while days I mean.when dry paint face brown going around the eyes and paint hat green with darker bits on spikes, feet and hands whatever colour you wont let dry. using a felt pen/marker add a nose dot and a happy/sad/wavy mouth.

Well, these instructions are what i done, the kids tried copying my conker person and the results were brillant, one looked like a Alien wavy its arms! but it is smashing and the child is only 3 years September!the rest do look like conker people but all very different which is how i like it, I bet they will look fantastic when painted.Sadly I dont know how to put a photo on for you so you will have to take my word and try it:)

jumpinjen
01-09-2010, 08:11 PM
The conker people with conker cases as hats sound great fun!!

We collected beech nut cases today to make dolly peg people out of (or fairies as that's what they like at the mo!!)

jen x

happytotschildminding
04-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Our board has just changed to its autumn theme too - done some collecting of leaves for display, crayon pictures using autumn colours, going to do some leaf prints and have reserved a couple of Andy Goldsworthy books at the library for inspiration.
I must have blinked and missed summer its gone so quickly.
Carol

PixiePetal
04-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Our board has just changed to its autumn theme too - done some collecting of leaves for display, crayon pictures using autumn colours, going to do some leaf prints and have reserved a couple of Andy Goldsworthy books at the library for inspiration.
Carol

My DD chose Andy Goldsworthy as her artist inspiration for her art GCSE and got an A :) Some interesting work :thumbsup:

Kes
04-09-2010, 01:06 PM
CBeebies have started showing their autumn song video so I would say autumn has now officially started.

jumpinjen
05-09-2010, 07:09 AM
Carol

I'm a fan of andy goldsworthy... never thought of reserving books at the library though... good idea!!

Thanks, Jen

snufflepuff
05-09-2010, 08:30 AM
CBeebies have started showing their autumn song video so I would say autumn has now officially started.

This is what i go by too! And i adore the autumn song....this time last year my son was 6 months old and had just started showing a real interest in music/ TV. He would sit and rock/ wiggle to the autumn song with a grin on his face....makes me feel all happy! Sometimes wish he could be that small again though!