PDA

View Full Version : Lo Struggling to settle

LeeAnn
31-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Just looking for some advice. I have a 3 yo mindee that is struggling to settle in. He cries when I collect him from nursery. he cries if we have to out anywhere or if anyone comes into the house , like other parents or when my son comes home from school. He wants me to cuddle him when he upset so that's good so it's not like he is afraid of me or anything.

He only comes 2 days a week so is only on day 4 but it seems to be getting worse not better. I can't get him to engage in many activities or anything. He did join in baking yest but my son came home half way through so that made him upset and he wouldn't join in after that.

I know he just needs time but I want to do everything I can. I have 2 other under 5s on the same days. Does anyone have any tips , suggestions or activities that might help?

Thanks

LeeAnn
31-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Never mind mum came to collect and says she not bringing him back, prob best for him as he upset but I feel sad.

sarah707
31-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Awww! Sorry you lost him xx

Zoomie
31-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Sorry you lost him.

I had this last year with a 9m old. He eventually became so upset I had to call mum and we terminated contract.

I felt terrible, but one year on, parents asked me to have him again.

:group hug:

loocyloo
31-08-2010, 09:19 PM
oh, thats a shame he has gone.

some children take longer to settle, especially if they are not used to being away from mum/home. and it seems to get worse before it gets better. and actually, although i understand mum taking him away, she is making it much harder for him next time, as he will have learnt that if he cries x amount, mummy solves it for him.

xxx

Cazz
31-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Oh, I'm sorry you've lost your mindee.

I look after a 16 month old on a Friday and have had him since he was 7 mths old. He used to cry almost continously and I found it very difficult and on occasions thought about giving notice. He also found it hard to share my attention with other children as he was used to having undivided attention at home.

All of a sudden he seemed to become more confident (partly helped by the fact his mum had a new baby and he was no longer centre of attention) and was much more settled - it took a bit longer for him to accept different people coming into the house as I think he kept expecting his mum to return.

Now, he's like a different child (although he still has some tears when he realises mum is leaving him - these stop by the time she's out of the street!). I'm glad I didn't give notice as he's really settled and it's a pleasure looking after him.

Some children just take a while to settle and four days wasn't much time so in some ways it's a shame mum didn't give him longer.