PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy nappy

Lyns123
31-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Morning

One of my mindee's has had a very dodgy looking nappy this morning, straight after breakfast, spoke to the mum and she said he has had nappy rash since saturday and he is dribbling like crazy so she reckons it's to do with teething. I've said i'll keep an eye on him and will check if it happens again after lunch, if it does she will have to collect him.

What do we do if the sloppy nappy is teething related, is that actually true as most books say teething doesn't affect anything and shouldn't give them bad nappy's. If i do send him home i'll have to apply the 24hr rule as well won't i?

Thanks
Lyns xxxx

MissTinkerbell
31-08-2010, 10:44 AM
I looked after LO last year with sloppy nappies and teething. They took him to drs to get special cream and dr said loose nappies was teeth related.

I don't hold with the fact that sloppy nappies aren't to do with teeth. All 3 of mine cut their first 5 teeth with diarrhoea nappies.

Is he off colour, have a temperature? If he has any of these and continues with sloppy nappies then operate 48 hr rule but if he's OK then I probably would put it down to teeth.

Twinkles
31-08-2010, 10:50 AM
I know most of the books say teething just causes teeth. However, in my experience a lot of babies can get sore bottoms,loose stools and become very dribbly.

I wouldn't send home just because of one nappy but sometimes if it is d&v it can smell different to just 'teething' stools.

I have one child who can have two or three very loose stools per day when he's teething and if I sent him home every time he'd never be here.

Lyns123
31-08-2010, 11:06 AM
He gets quiet loose stools alot but this one seemed particularly watery.

I will check him after lunch as he doesn't have temp but they may have given him calpol this morning before drop off and not mentioned it.

I wouldn't normally worry but since becoming pregnant i really don't want to risk anything, i hate sending them home and get really guilty when i call the parents, i don't often have too. I know my daughter got nappy rash but she never got the sloppy nappies unless she had a temperature, thats why i'm not sure whether to believe the books but seen as you all have experience i'll take your word for it :)

Thanks for the advice

bexcee
31-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Morning

If i do send him home i'll have to apply the 24hr rule as well won't i?

Thanks
Lyns xxxx

It's 48 hours exclusion for d&v in line with nurserys and schools.

In my experience teething does cause upset tummies. If the lo is otherwise well then it could well be that he is cutting a new tooth.

Lyns123
31-08-2010, 11:32 AM
48hrs, Ok, i know it's in my policies but don't have them in front of me, thanks though :)

Just had lunch and it's passed right through him, it's his 3rd pooey nappy so far today, will put him down for his nap and will check his temp after that and will make a decision then, i just don't want the others to catch anything if it is d&v (even though there's no v)

Thanks everyone :)

MissTinkerbell
31-08-2010, 11:55 AM
his 3rd pooey nappy so far today,

When my little mindee was teething he had 6 pooey nappies in 1 day and bless him screamed everytime he saw me come with the changing mat because it hurt his sore bottom.

Twinkles
31-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Hey !! Just saw your location , I'm in Redhill *waves*