PDA

View Full Version : Hand washing when potty training

BlondeMoment
31-08-2010, 08:28 AM
Hi everyone! I have a LO who's currently potty training. I really want to encourage the hand washing straight after but I've no downstairs loo so I'm having to lift him to the kitchen sink every time and I'm not sure what Ofsted would say about that for hygene reasons. Is it OK to give them a baby wipe to clean their hands after? Just for the potty phase? Once he's mastered all that we'll move onto the toilet upstairs anyway. It's just impossible to use the upstairs loo when you're first starting out. It's too much of a treck to get up there and then they've wet themselves by the time you're through the baby gate LOL.

Troubles of having a tiny house. Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

louised
31-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Why not use some hand gel, I have a downstairs loo but found the lo's make so much mess with the water so I use the hand gel then move them onto soap and water when they are a bit older. I was inspected earlier this year and ofsted were fine about it:)

Lily Grace
31-08-2010, 09:52 AM
I have a pile of flannels next to the sink so I just wet the flannel then wipe their hands then put the flannel in the washing machine or rinse it out then I put the flannel in their box of bit to dry out so they use the same flannel for that day.

Mouse
31-08-2010, 10:17 AM
I have a bowl in the kitchen that is just for handwashing. Whenever we need it (after the potty, messy play, before snack etc) I put some warm, soapy water in it & stand it on a low stool. The children then wash their hands & dry them with paper towel.

BlondeMoment
01-09-2010, 07:14 AM
I have a bowl in the kitchen that is just for handwashing. Whenever we need it (after the potty, messy play, before snack etc) I put some warm, soapy water in it & stand it on a low stool. The children then wash their hands & dry them with paper towel.

Yeah I've got one of those too! But there really isn't any room in my kitchen to leave it out so I'd be filling it every 5 minutes LOL. Main problem really is the size of my tiny house LOL.

BlondeMoment
01-09-2010, 07:15 AM
Why not use some hand gel, I have a downstairs loo but found the lo's make so much mess with the water so I use the hand gel then move them onto soap and water when they are a bit older. I was inspected earlier this year and ofsted were fine about it:)

That sounds like a great idea!