PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take to change a nappy???

SammyM
31-08-2010, 08:21 AM
One of the little boys I have comes each mornning, lovely & clean, hair brushed, nice clothes BUT obviously in last nights nappy!!

Can't understand why mom doesn't just change his nappy, how long does it take???

I've started writing nappy change times on his daily diary sheet, with the first being 5 mins after he arrives:panic: :panic: :panic:

hollyoaksmad
31-08-2010, 08:26 AM
this would be neglect keep notes ..

Ripeberry
31-08-2010, 08:27 AM
Is the nappy full to bursting? Maybe she is just trying to 'save' it. But if it is sopping wet then that is bad :mad:

Katherine
31-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Hi, I wouldn't be too quick to assume this is last nights nappy, my boy wakes up in a sopping wet nappy I change it 1st thing, then about an hour or so later after his morning milk and breakfast it is sopping wet again I often have to change it at 7am then 9am, then it doens't get that wet again all day. The best thing to do would be to ask the Mum if she changes the nappy 1st thing and say it is always full by the time he gets to you. I would be very supprised if anyones nappy is not changed 1st thing and if it isn't, it is neglectful, but then she may not realise this and will need it pointing out.

Twinkles
31-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Does she have a long walk/drive to you ? if she does maybe she gives him a big cup of drink or a bottle.

Doesn't make sense does it if the rest of him is clean and tidy.

MissTinkerbell
31-08-2010, 10:20 AM
I wouldn't be to quick to judge either. If he was coming unwashed and in dirty clothes then yes I would be concerned but as he is coming clean and tidy then it might just be a case of doing lots of wees first thing in the morning.

How smelly is it? In my experience little boy's nappies that have been on all night smell extremely srtong whereas during the day they are not quite so strong smelling - or at least that is what I have noticed with DS.

SammyM
31-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Just to clarify - I don't think its neglect.

But it IS def last nights nappy, I have him all day and change him every 3hrs or so, and even while he's been drinking on and off all day, there is only a dribble in his nappy.

So when his nappy is at the swollen squiggy state, there is no way his little bladder could have done that between 7 when he wakes and 8 when he comes to me.

In effect its the same my dd who is two, she doesn't tend to wake until 8 ish, so her nappy is squiggy, BUT when I get her dressed obviously I change her - and if I was taking her to a friends to look after her I certainly would send her with a nice dry nappy.

Just find it hard to believe that while mom or dad dress him, wash him etc they don't change him.

Nowt as queer as folk eh???

Curly Quavers
31-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Nowt as queer as folk eh???

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :)

I agree and often say everybody cana be as perfect as me. Ha Ha

It is strange though I would keep a note in the child's file though just in case.

Katherine
31-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Hi I think you should speak to the parent to make sure you can't be 100% sure unless they tell you, all children are different and produce different nappies, I really can't belive someone would get a child dressed without changing their nappy? It doesn't make any sense? Does it happen every day or did she just forget once? If it is last nights nappy and it happens all the time it is really bad and it IS neglectful and I would keep a note of it plus tell the mother to make sure she changes the nappy 1st thing in future.

sweets
31-08-2010, 12:09 PM
my mindee is nearly 2, parents get her up at 7, she has a bottle and breakfast and is at my house about 8 am, by then her nappy is solid and squidgy and ready for a change! i always change her more or less straight away. that first hour of waking they can wee a lot! :laughing:

singlewiththree
31-08-2010, 01:21 PM
I used to change mindee after her nap but an hour later when we got back from the school run her nappy was soaking and all she had had was her milk, maybe his is the same thing?

Tribe_mummy
31-08-2010, 01:28 PM
I have to agree it is possible to have nappies like this and not just presume its last nights without knowing....my DD 31 months and has 3 nappy changes between 7 and 9! 2 squidgy 1 soiled, I think some babies just tend to hold on to it, but just mention LO is soggy when they arrive to your as mum prob doesn't even realise and just ask her to let you know time of last change.

I would imagine a baby/toddler that is continuously left in last nights nappy would probably get very sore too.

mrsoliver
01-09-2010, 11:27 AM
I don;t think you can claim this is neglect unless the baby is suffering any kind of irritation from the nappy.

haribo
01-09-2010, 11:40 AM
i know exactly what you mean i used to have one who was not changed before he came to me . parents were in a roaring hurry all the time .. the op isnt claiming its neglect , but it is irritating . its very obvious when its been on all night to merely being filled quickly in the morning i can understand where your coming from . maybe writing down change times and saying "ooh thats a wet nappy"on arrival might get your point across . good luck :thumbsup:

the_raisons
01-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Yes, this doesn't seem right. I would keep a diary and also mention to mum that nappy seemed very wet when first arrives and see what she says!

Dare4Distance
01-09-2010, 12:20 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to assume it's last nights nappy, like others have said, some children wet a LOT when they wake up.

BUT, if it is last nights nappy then it is 100% neglect.

Ripeberry
01-09-2010, 01:06 PM
My youngest daughter did this a lot. She liked to drink a lot of water and could fill a nappy in one go (when she was younger).

I would go by smell and irritation more than anything else.

Ali56
01-09-2010, 03:27 PM
My DD used to wake at 5am every day-I used to give her a big bottle of milk in the hope she'd go back to sleep! never worked but she liked the milk!! lol so even if he had a clean nappy at 7am it could be something similar as a whole bottle of milk has to go somewhere a couple of hours after it goes in!
On a more serious note tho, it may be worth speaking to the parents first off and keeping a note, then you are covered if anything comes back, just wondered tho is the child sore? as if I left any of mine in soggy nappies for any lenght of time the would be. x

WibbleWobble
01-09-2010, 05:31 PM
One of my mindees would be brought with a nappy so full the jelly would be out of the nappy and on his bottom! I had to change him as soon as he got in...but this kid drinks...and drinks (today he was here for 3 hours and he had 3 nappies!)

i had a word with mum...told her we were seconds away from wet trousers!

he is now changed by dad just before they leave...sorted! (he is still swinging when he gets here but the explosion problem is over)

mandy xx