PDA

View Full Version : Accident and Incident Policy

lou246
30-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Hello!!!

I'm just writing my Accident and Incident Policy and would like some advice!

What do you all do if a child was to have an accident where they would be taken by ambulance to hospital? What back up procedures do you have?

I dont know any other childminders in my area but even if I did, they would have their own children to care for so possibly wouldnt be able to take mine too? Or if my husband was on a day off (he works shifts) care for the children while I go to the hospital? Is that even allowed?

I'm confuddled and hope someone can help pleeeease!!! :confused:

keeks
30-08-2010, 08:57 PM
I am wondering the same thing, I was thinking perhaps I could get a friend of mine to go through the crb checks and registering with Ofsted as an assistant to help out every now and then, could she then in an emergency take the children whilst waiting for parents to arrive to collect them? I understand that assistants can get permission from Ofsted to be left alone for short periods of time?

The other option would be to follow the ambulance in a taxi (I don't have a car) and bring the other children along to wait for parents there - depending on seriousness of injury of course. I don't know!

Someone will be along soon who does know though. :D

x

sarah707
31-08-2010, 07:00 AM
In my policy I state that I will make every effort to inform parents / emergency contacts to meet the child asap at the hospital.

It is impossible for me to travel to the hospital with the child because of other commitments - meeting the needs of other children, school runs, my own children etc.

If a child is seriously injured I would simply be in the way anyway - that advice comes from a Paramedic.

She says they would not listen to a childminder whatever piece of paper / permission slip we have with us.

She says that doctors etc take action based on the needs of the child at the time... and then wait to speak to the child's parents.

I hope this helps :D

lou246
31-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Hi!

Yes that certainly does help, thank you!

Also what would you do in the event of yourself having an accident and not being able to care for the children?

I was on a roll with my policies until I started this one so I really appreciate your help!

:)

susi513
02-09-2010, 01:06 PM
You may have no choice but to leave mindees with an unregistered person - it could be you, the childminder or your own child who is being carted off in an ambulance. I have named other Registered childminders in my policies (having asked first) but also stated that in the event those childminders are not contactable I may leave minded children with a trusted neighbour or relative. I have added a note that an emergency situation is the only time I would consider this - children will always be within sight and/or sound. Ofsted have been fine with this policy.

If you are a childminder going over numbers to help another carer during an emergency or if you are a childminder who has left mindees with another carer you must notify Ofsted as soon as is reasonably possible and provide full details. This will pre-empt any possible complaint by the parent. If the parent has signed the policy, they cannot say they didn't know this might happen. Your emergency carers should be able to access details about your minded children, such as allergies and health issues as well as parents contact details. Parents should be notified at the earliest opportunity and should collect their child immediately - the emergency carer may be over numbers and should not be expected to provide childcare throughout the rest of the day. Ofsted will consider each emergency as an individual issue, but if you can justify your actions as being "in the best interests of the minded child under the unique circumstances you faced" then you should be ok.

Sarah is right, and you may not be allowed in the ambulance depending on the severity of the situation anyway. The only possible role you might have there is to reassure and comfort the patient if they are conscious, and the other mindees will need that care too.

I wouldn't take other mindees to the hospital, potentially too traumatic for the children and it may not be safe for you to drive for some time after the incident. I wouldn't get a taxi either, parents don't like it because of the car seat situation.