PDA

View Full Version : afterschool dilemma

Ritaroo
30-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Just had an after school enquiry and have a couple of questions. Parent wants me to pick up 2 girls aged 7 and 9 from school and walk them home. I am collecting from this school anyway and she lives a few doors down from me so no problem with this. However after I spoke to her I thought about it and realised she will be home about 10 minutes after I drop them off so they will be alone for a short while.

Should I say they should stay here until she is back so she collects them from me? What would you charge for this? I charge £5 an hour so I guess that is a minimum so should I charge £10 in total for both?

Any opinions welcome. Thanks.

sweets
30-08-2010, 09:36 AM
even though there is no legal age limit on leaving children home alone i think 7 and 9 is far too young and i would not like to be the person to 'leave' them. i would explain this to mum and tell her that you will take them to your house and she can pick them up from there and charge your minimum fee. Explain to her that you cannot be the one responsible for actually leaving them alone and what would happen if she was delayed, stuck in traffic etc :eek:

Tina O
30-08-2010, 10:05 AM
I also would not be happy leaving them alone.... As above I would explain to mumm that she could collect from you. I think you also have to think of your professional reputation, if 'people' see you leaving kids home alone, they may think it's something you are doing wrong and you don't want that reputation, also 'people' will be first to point a finger at the 'registered childminder' if something did happen to the kids, when it even isn't your fault. You need to protect yourself too!

charlie potato
30-08-2010, 10:08 AM
I've got a 9 and 7 yr old and wouldnt dream of putting this on a cm. I'm sure its to save money. Surely for a £5 your kids safety is most important. xx:mad:

Ritaroo
30-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks this is exactly what I thought after I had put the phone down to her. I will discuss it with her and explain the situation. Basically I will not take it on if she will not agree to picking them up from me. Do you charge a minimum for after school?

Tina O
30-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Thanks this is exactly what I thought after I had put the phone down to her. I will discuss it with her and explain the situation. Basically I will not take it on if she will not agree to picking them up from me. Do you charge a minimum for after school?

I don't charge a minimum as I have all my afterschoolers for atleast 2 hours each, any less and I would do a minimum fee instead .xx