PDA

View Full Version : child specific variation

moogster1a
30-08-2010, 06:44 AM
Just wondering if anyone's ever been granted a variation for 4 under 5's which isn't child specific. ie. they just amend your certificate to show 4 under 5's so it applies to any child.

Pauline
30-08-2010, 08:39 AM
I think it only applies that way if you work with an assistant or co-minder, not heard of it for a minder working alone.

but I could be wrong, will be interested to hear if anyone has. :)

julie w
30-08-2010, 08:40 AM
I've just had a variation stating I can look after 9 under 8's. For ages I'd been asking cos I'd been turning down loads of children over school holidays. Ofsted kept asking for specific ages and numbers and I kept replying I didnt have any specific, I just wanted to look after more. Then I got a phone call from a really nice man from ofsted (It really seems to depend on who you speak to and what mood they're in) . Within minutes he gave me a variation for exactly the amount I wanted and I received my new certificate 2 days later. So good luck.

sweets
30-08-2010, 08:46 AM
i would love a variation to have have 4 under 5's, i dont pick any children up from school or have older kids in the hols, i just have LO's. being able to have 4 now and again instead of 3 would be very handy for when parents have appointments or need extra days etc.

would be interested if anyone has this variation.

Pauline
30-08-2010, 08:46 AM
I've just had a variation stating I can look after 9 under 8's. For ages I'd been asking cos I'd been turning down loads of children over school holidays. Ofsted kept asking for specific ages and numbers and I kept replying I didnt have any specific, I just wanted to look after more. Then I got a phone call from a really nice man from ofsted (It really seems to depend on who you speak to and what mood they're in) . Within minutes he gave me a variation for exactly the amount I wanted and I received my new certificate 2 days later. So good luck.

Hi Julie, did they make it clear on your certificate how many of the 9 could be under 5?

or was it for 5 - 8 year olds?

:)

miffy
30-08-2010, 10:17 AM

Are you working with an assistant?

If not then I don't think you are allowed to have more than 6 under 8 at any one time - the regulations are quite specific (page 51, 14).

Miffy xx

loocyloo
30-08-2010, 11:47 AM
i'm amazed that you were given 9 under 8 :eek: i wanted 7 under 8 for about 1/2hr and depsite talking to lots of ofsted bods, and them all saying they understood etc, but they couldn't change the rules for more than 6 under 8's unless i had an assistant working with me ... i got my assistant and was allowed 12under 8's when she is working with me !!!:eek: generally 6 under 5, BUT i have a variation for 4 under 5, so it could be 7 under 5 when we were both working !

and back to the original question! i have a variation to allow me to have 4 children under 5, all week. (non child specific) i specifially needed it 2 days a week, but asked to have it for the other 2 days i work, as sometimes children need to swap a day, and once they had ALL under 5's dob, and usual hours (as on the variation request form) they were happy to grant my variation. my certificate states ' may exceed this ratio to care for children in the early years group as listed on the variation request dated 3rd feb 2010 '

but i still have to keep within my 6 under 8!

xxx

The Juggler
30-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Just wondering if anyone's ever been granted a variation for 4 under 5's which isn't child specific. ie. they just amend your certificate to show 4 under 5's so it applies to any child.

I just applied for one - for 4 under 5's! will let you know how it goes. I have 2 vacancies both on Friday but getting loads of calls for rest of week so I've pleaded 'meeting local childcare sufficiency targets' . Parents need a minder, I have vacancies, but I can't meet local childcare demand due to the days my vacancies are on. I will see what happens;)

Chatterbox Childcare
30-08-2010, 06:02 PM
I have 9 under 8's on my certificate but can only have 6 under 5's when working with an assistant

My understanding is that variations cannot be for new children but conitnuity of care but who knows.

Apply and see what they say - what have you got to lose?

TammyN
30-08-2010, 06:43 PM
I HAVE BEEN GRANTED 4 UNDER 5'S OOPS CAPS:blush: for the children i have on my register for 25 days per year, this was asked for to cover extra days such as parents training, etc as the all do part time but between them im full so this was ideal and counted as continuity, she did ask me to check with parents how many days training they would poss need first!