PDA

View Full Version : I've just called their bluff :)

maryp0ppins
29-08-2010, 12:26 PM
I have a 18month old mindee that i have on a flexi contract since xmas.
I have wrote in the passed about how mum said she would need me 70% of a working month when in reality I've had lo no more than 9 days out of the month/ some months not had her at all, Plus they don't pay any retainer during the month they just let me know 2/3 weeks before the following month with the dates they need me for....(friends/ish of the family type of thing)

I did tell them when we signed if I needed to advertise for business in the future then the days may become limited for them...they were OK with this but still only wanted flexi as didnt want to pay me a set amount of money each month :( .

Well just before summer hols I started to advertise due to some mindee's leaving...right away got lots of calls & have signed on 2 new contract 1 is full time Mon - Fri (pre school) other is Tues-Thur full day (pre school).

I gave mum of original lo first refusal but she said she'd let me know....never did :rolleyes: so carried on with the new signings.

Sorry its so long :blush:

Mum of lo rang me yesterday to say This was a verbal notice & she'd write me up a letter when she had the time & she would have to look for another minder as I only had Mon & Fridays available from November due to the new contracts (plenty of notice)

I said "oh what a shame but OK i understood"....she replied with "oh OK, so that's it then, i need to find a new minder, who wont charge me when lo is not even there" I said well you was the 1 that rang me to tell me you were looking for a new minder & Good luck as everybody I know would defo be asking for a retainer :o

Am I wrong...or do you think she tried to call my bluff....but obviously back fired!!

wow just read it back,,,,it is long..sorry x

mummyof3
29-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Well Done!!! :clapping:

Serves mum right some people think they can get away with treating childminders terribly she wouldn't have got away with this at a nursery. They forget we have bills to pay.

Don't think she will find someone that won't charge a retainer in a hurry :laughing:

Ripeberry
29-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Well, she can sling her hook. She had you dangling for long enough. Well done on getting new mindees :clapping: :thumbsup:

Tina O
29-08-2010, 02:37 PM
stand your ground, I can't believe she thinks she can get away with this!

I had a parent who turned her nose up at my charging her retainer over summer hols when she took lo to grans for few weeks.... but her contract asked for school hol as well as after school, she didn't think I meant it when I charged... still don't know if she is coming back next week, no word from them yet!

the job would be so much easier without parents! xx

Playmate
29-08-2010, 02:50 PM
ooooo little snigger to myself :D love stories like this. Well done you :clapping:

shelly2012
29-08-2010, 03:04 PM
:clapping: Well done you on getting your new mindees and for telling the other mum. :clapping:

May I ask what advertising did you do?

wendywu
29-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Doesnt it give you that lovely warm feeling when you are able to do things like that. Ha Ha :laughing: ;)

miffy
29-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Good for you - mum had her chance and blew it!

Miffy xx

Curly Quavers
29-08-2010, 03:13 PM
:clapping:

Well Done Lady you did good!

jadylasa
29-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Good on you! I would charge a retainer. i like my job......but thats not why I do it, I do to earn some money, I can't hold spaces I'm not getting paid for! xxx

The Juggler
29-08-2010, 03:17 PM
:clapping: :clapping:

Alibali
29-08-2010, 05:32 PM
She was defo calling your bluff, she's had it too good for too long, good luck to her is all I can say, she wont find anyone as helpful as you.

maryp0ppins
29-08-2010, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE=shelly2012;769850]:clapping: Well done you on getting your new mindees and for telling the other mum. :clapping:

May I ask what advertising did you do?[/QUO

put my web address on netmums, put poster up at playgroup. Had 3 families ring me 'word of mouth' & signed the full contract with a lovely family who live 5 minutes walk away from me who saw my web ad on netmums :)

Thanks for your replies ladies.....

Some people do take the P, i do feel i took the lead this time :D :D :D

ChocolateChip
29-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Well done you! :clapping:
Some people soooo need a reality check :D