PDA

View Full Version : Working together with your Partner...

Dizzy Ducklings
29-08-2010, 02:28 AM
Was just wondering how many minders out there work with their partner on a sort of full time basis?

Are they also fully registered as a childminder and how does it affect how many kids you can mind?

And most importantly;) How is working life with him??

I've applied to have my boyf as my assistant when he's off work, but we've spoke about him leaving his own job and us working together full time... but I'm worried he'd hate that more than the job he's in(which he Really hates! lol)

Thanks in advance for replies, I know it's a bit long winded...if any one wants to pm me instead that's fine! :)

sarah707
29-08-2010, 09:27 AM
I work part time with my partner - he has a daytime job that finishes so he can collect children from school.

He decided to register in his own right rather than become an assistant.

It works really well as we divide up the jobs - he cooks and cleans up while I do the paperwork and childcare.

He also cooks with the children and plans some of the garden games.

It is really important that you have clearly divided jobs so that you do not get resentful of one not pulling their weight. :D

pinky33
29-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Mine is a her not a him!!
Were both registered seperatly have our own key children we do learning journeys etc.
We get paid as one and split earning in half even though what's mine is yours in terms of money and bills, it just feels nice to have what feels like your own money.

We do everything together with the children they don't have a main carer as such, I do most of the cooking, she cleans up.

Before childminding we were nannies and was each other most days anyway so it works perfectly for us being at home together.

Sometimes we don't see eye to eye and have a staff meeting once a week, this way issues are not bought into our relationship they are purly work related might seem silly but it works.

We never really talk about work in OUR time try to just keep things within working hours.

It's fun, I love it!

Monkey1
29-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Hunky Monkey was a painter and decorator before hand, working long hours and travelling for hours everyday. Best thing we ever did. Firstly he became my assistant and then registered himself. The children have really benifitted from it and love him to bits:clapping: He's so relaxed now where before he was stressed and it caused a few arguments.
we had one little boy who attended nursery during the day and then came to us before and after. He was excluded from there for bad behaviour and they wanted to get him statemented........he's been an angel for us and we are now doing his nursery education until he goes to school in Jan.
We collect from different schools so that provides continuity for the children which ever local school they get in to
He does a lot of the cooking and as soon as the children start to leave he gets on with tea so its ready for when i finish!:thumbsup:

Playmate
29-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Mick registered in his own right 10 years ago when he worked flexi time for Met Police. 3 years ago he became very disillusioned with his job and my business was doing well, so he decided to take early retirement and work with me full time. This allowed us to increase our under 5 numbers and at the moment are financially much better off (that could change any day though as everyone knows this business holds no guarentees :( )

we love working together, we do have specific roles but also muck in together. I don't think Mick would ever look back :D In fact he is now getting so involved with voluteering for NCMA, both regional, county forums and NPF (puts me to shame :D )

Dizzy Ducklings
29-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Thanks everyone! I'll let him see your replies:thumbsup:

Blue Boy
30-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Hi I know my Playmate has made a comment, but just wanted to say if your other half is not sure and wants to speak just let me know. you are more than welcome to PM me.

little_gems
30-08-2010, 01:56 PM
my husband has been my assistant full time since last may and i've loved having him here but he's just got a job and starts next monday and im not looking forward to being back on my own.

KarenM
30-08-2010, 02:11 PM
My husband is registered as my assistant as he is self employed painter and decorator. I did worry about working with him, but as long as I lay down the ground rules (ie I am the trained and qualified professional in this business) and he has his own areas like the cooking and garden area, we have been fine. He doesn't do the paperwork side of things but he does help me on trips to the zoo etc:) .
It is working well for us at the moment, as long as those ground rules are set out.