PDA

View Full Version : Warning- Regarding URN numbers

Lottie
04-04-2008, 01:25 PM
I just had my reg visit and mentioned my CRB certificate to inspector. I asked her if I should add this as a photo copy to my prospectus because of the possibility of identity theft.

Apparently she told me that there have been several cases whereby CRB certificate have been on display and people have taken the URN number and claimed child tax credit etc. The agencies are now aware of this.

Her advice to me was to cover the URN number on the certificate when it is on display and it is not necessary to add the CRB certificate to portfolio's.

Just a head's up if you are not already aware. :thumbsup:

littlesprogs
04-04-2008, 02:57 PM
But we have to display our registration certificate that has our URN number on anyway and also public liability insurance has the number on too so if people wanted the number they could get it anyway

sarah707
04-04-2008, 03:01 PM
There's always a risk, whatever we do I'm afraid... :(

Mollymop
04-04-2008, 03:02 PM
But we have to display our registration certificate that has our URN number on anyway and also public liability insurance has the number on too so if people wanted the number they could get it anyway

Yes that's what i thought, that's the whole point of displaying the certificates.
Oh dear!

manjay
04-04-2008, 03:09 PM
I am not going to worry about this. After all it is not us who are breaking the law by putting in fraudulent claims.

amanda xx

miffy
04-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks Lottie for the warning but agree it's a problem when we have to have our reg cert on display anyway

miffy xx

littlewonders
05-04-2008, 07:55 AM
I was also told this, we still HAVE to display our certs but they advise you cover just the urn number because there has been severel cases where parents use the numbers to claim, use your services for a week or two then use a family member but still claim monies. It then doesn't balance out at the end of the year when you do your accounts and sent your tax costs into HMRC...if you know what I mean.

We were also told that we shouldn't give the numbers out on the tax credit forms but instead ask the parents to give them us when they have completed it and we fill that bit in then post it ourselves. Or just tell HMRC to phone us for it. We were then advised to phone HMRC if a child leaves us.

I suppose its how each childminder wants to do things. You don't like to think that parents could be so crafty but there you go!

Sam x

Pipsqueak
05-04-2008, 08:02 AM
I was also told this, we still HAVE to display our certs but they advise you cover just the urn number because there has been severel cases where parents use the numbers to claim, use your services for a week or two then use a family member but still claim monies. It then doesn't balance out at the end of the year when you do your accounts and sent your tax costs into HMRC...if you know what I mean.

We were also told that we shouldn't give the numbers out on the tax credit forms but instead ask the parents to give them us when they have completed it and we fill that bit in then post it ourselves. Or just tell HMRC to phone us for it. We were then advised to phone HMRC if a child leaves us.

I suppose its how each childminder wants to do things. You don't like to think that parents could be so crafty but there you go!

Sam x

In my rather cynical and grumpy view of the world at the moment - there are many parents out there who will be so crafty about so many things that it will leave you speechless (and feeling rather cynical and grumpy!!!;) )

Lottie
05-04-2008, 02:48 PM

Sam x

Yup that's right. You put it much more eloquently than me. :D :thumbsup:

miffy
05-04-2008, 03:00 PM
I do get all my parents to sign a termination of contract letter when their child leaves which states the last day I cared for the child and makes it clear that it is the parents responsibilty to tell tax office that the arrangement has ended - took it from a template on the bromley site

At least if there is any query i have it in writing when I was last paid for that child

miffy xx

Rubybubbles
14-04-2008, 06:23 PM
I do get all my parents to sign a termination of contract letter when their child leaves which states the last day I cared for the child and makes it clear that it is the parents responsibilty to tell tax office that the arrangement has ended - took it from a template on the bromley site

At least if there is any query i have it in writing when I was last paid for that child

miffy xx

oh will have alook at that:thumbsup:

deeb66
14-04-2008, 06:42 PM

miffy xx

I do the same as Miffy

Try to cover all bases!

Lincsminder
14-04-2008, 07:49 PM
We were also told that we shouldn't give the numbers out on the tax credit forms but instead ask the parents to give them us when they have completed it and we fill that bit in then post it ourselves.
Sam x

If I was a parent using child care there is no way I would do that, why should the childminder refuse to give out that number but it is fine for us to see all the parents personal details on their tax credit aplications. I couldn't care less who sees my reg number if someone wants to defraud the system they will, it dosen't effect me in any way.

Pauline
14-04-2008, 07:57 PM

Not sure what you mean about it not balancing out at the end of the year - the tax office don't need to know the names of the children you care for and whether they did or didn't claim tax credits, not from you anyway. I just fill out my tax return with the total earnings from ALL children, less expenses. Of course you need to keep records in case they do ask to see them, but they rarely do.

buildingblocks
14-04-2008, 08:02 PM
At the end of the day all they have to do is go onto the Ofsted website and type in their postcode and all the reports have URN's on it anyway

Pauline
15-04-2008, 06:27 AM
At the end of the day all they have to do is go onto the Ofsted website and type in their postcode and all the reports have URN's on it anyway

Exactly and that is another reason why I wouldn't go with the idea of your URN being all you need to access Full Members Area. Anyone can get a URN number on-line and claim it as their own, how can it be checked?