PDA

View Full Version : Unregistered Childminding

em29
28-08-2010, 06:20 AM
I suspect this sort of thing has been posted but I am getting more and more miffed about the amount of people illegally childminding and us having to register and keep every document under the sun!
I am also part of another forum and the amount of people on there that pay others to look after their children seems to be rising as they can no longer afford legitimate childcare!

I guess I get a bit annoyed that people think that just having a child and making sure it is safe is what childminding is all about and as we know...that is just the tip of the iceburg!:rolleyes:
Even my own family seem to think I am a baby sitter and keep asking why it is not illegal that I am only paid £3.50 an hour. I keep explaining that it is a FEE not a WAGE and that I am self employed...to which my mother says "well...not really love...they get YOU to look after THEIR child...." AAAGHHHH!!!

singlewiththree
28-08-2010, 06:42 AM
I'm probably going to get lots of messages about this one but I feel that children belong with their family and if family members have them for free such as grandma, Auntie then that is the way it should be. Afterall in extended families this happens all the time. My opinion could be clouded with the fact my family are all in the childcare business so would do with the children like I do not just live them to lounge around watching tv.

I do feel though that unregistered childminders who care for other peoples children shouldn't be allowed to operate after all they aren't first aid trained and inspected and the safety aspect is a big problem.

em29
28-08-2010, 06:52 AM
I agree..also on my icp course were two sets of grandparents and I felt so sorry for them having to go through the full registration process to look after their grandchildren a few days a week. Maybe there should be another category for family? Maybe register but not be responsible for insurance or Ofsted. In most cases family members and grandparents are not paid anyway and so do not need to register.

What gets me is that some people call themselves childminders and are not nor have ever been registered?? :(

squiggle
28-08-2010, 08:28 AM
I had someone visit me last week with an 11 month old - mum had been back at work for 3 months and told me her neice was looking after 'b' and she was paying her. She then went on to say that he came home in the same nappy he went in - 7.30am till 4pm - and she wasn't happy.

need i say anymore

xx

bexcee
28-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Makes you wonder if they are putting the needs of their child first or just thinking of the cost.
After much deliberation I report someone 'close' to me for unregistered childminding this week. I dread the outcome if she founds out it was me but I couldn't do nothing and would feel awful if anything happened if the child whilst in her care.

Mookins
28-08-2010, 11:35 AM
i didnt think grandparents had to be registered?

xx

FussyElmo
28-08-2010, 11:55 AM
i didnt think grandparents had to be registered?

xx

They do if they want to be paid through tax credits :thumbsup:

Wheelybug
28-08-2010, 12:21 PM
They do if they want to be paid through tax credits :thumbsup:

And then they can only claim tax credits if they are also caring for children other than family members. I know because I looked into my parents minding my children, lucky for me they were planning to take on other children as well.

Mookins
29-08-2010, 10:07 AM
aaaah i understand

xx

welshcake
29-08-2010, 10:37 AM
god my parents would be loaded if i had to pay them for having mine all these years. :blush:

MissTinkerbell
29-08-2010, 11:34 AM
I'm probably going to get lots of messages about this one but I feel that children belong with their family and if family members have them for free such as grandma, Auntie then that is the way it should be. After all in extended families this happens all the time.

I agree with this also. Before I started childminding I used to teach 2 days a week and DD1 was looked after by my mum at her house. After I had DS and DD2 mum and dad used to look after them at my house because DD1 was at preschool 5 mornings a week so I couldn't take them to my mums. I wouldn't have had them go anywhere else and see nothing wrong with family members looking after children. TBH if my mum didn't have them it would have been pointless me going out to work because I'd just be working to pay for childcare.

However I do agree that unregistered childminders need to be stamped out and probably wouldn't hesitate to report someone who wasn't registered.

Tina O
29-08-2010, 03:30 PM
I agree that unregistered childminding should not be, but am afraid that it's a big problem and probably here to stay, I think all we can do is the amazing job we do, showing parents that registered childminders are the best and that we are the way to ensure the best for their kids, we will always be up agaisnt people who think they can make a quick buck and parents who think they can save a few quid but in the end some of these parents will learn the hard way.!!! at the expense of their child.

I would report any unregistered childminders because I, like a lot of you, have pride in what I do and am bl**dy good at it...! ;)

Ripeberry
11-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Just reviving this thread as I've been talking to our local 'unregistered' carer and she was moaning about the amount of people asking her to care for their kids :rolleyes:
She has 3 every evening for 1hr, one 3yr old all day when granny can't do it and she says she hates children :mad:

I bite my tongue so much, she knows that if anyone reported her that she would know it was me and she has lots of friends who could make up 'allegations' against me to get me into MUCH deeper trouble than she would ever get with Ofsted.

There is no way to fight them is there? :(

rickysmiths
11-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Just reviving this thread as I've been talking to our local 'unregistered' carer and she was moaning about the amount of people asking her to care for their kids :rolleyes:
She has 3 every evening for 1hr, one 3yr old all day when granny can't do it and she says she hates children :mad:

I bite my tongue so much, she knows that if anyone reported her that she would know it was me and she has lots of friends who could make up 'allegations' against me to get me into MUCH deeper trouble than she would ever get with Ofsted.

I would inform the Tax Office, they will investigate if they believe there is in income and no tax being paid. She need not know that you made that call.

Blaze
11-02-2011, 07:29 PM

I would retort that you don't need to report her -it's only a matter of time before there is an accident with a LO in her care & if she wants to risk getting n=banged up & a crimal record - then good luck to her!

MaryMary
11-02-2011, 08:57 PM
I would inform the Tax Office, they will investigate if they believe there is in income and no tax being paid. She need not know that you made that call.

And potential benefit fraud aswell :angry:

This is the problem, I think. Unregistered cm's can afford to undercut us on fees 'cos they don't pay for registration (and all the costs that involves - Ofsted, medical, training, ICO, insurance, etc), they don't pay tax and they are possibly claiming benefits aswell :angry: And we can't really compete with that :mad:

I would be scared to report someone incase they found out it was me, and incase they made up allegations to retaliate (sp?) :blush:

Blackcat
11-02-2011, 10:39 PM
I agree..also on my icp course were two sets of grandparents and I felt so sorry for them having to go through the full registration process to look after their grandchildren a few days a week. Maybe there should be another category for family? Maybe register but not be responsible for insurance or Ofsted. In most cases family members and grandparents are not paid anyway and so do not need to register.

What gets me is that some people call themselves childminders and are not nor have ever been registered?? :(

yes but some parents still want to claim WTC for granny and grandad babysitting