PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help needed with reply pls.....

SammyM
26-08-2010, 08:26 PM
I've just ahd this e mail from a mom, I've had her daughter during August, in readiness for before and after school, I went thru all my charges when I did the contract which they happily signed, I want to word the response along the lines of I offerred 2 2hr settling in sessions free of charge, then then rest is chargeable, she is contracted for all day Wed & Thurs & fri morns. During the hols she's been doing one or two days a week.

Thank-you for the invoice, there is something that I wanted to clarify;

As you explained when we completed the paperwork, we are aware that you charge 50% of your daily rate for non attendance. However, we weren't aware that A had missed any days attendance with you, this month. J had arranged his annual leave, to look after A on Thursday's and Fridays for her to have a gradual introduction to your care before she started school. She started with you as arranged on Wednesday 4th August and attended for two weeks on a Wednesday and was due to start on Thursdays with you on Thursdsay 19th August. During school holiday's J will care for A on Fridays, therefore she will just spend Friday mornings with you, before school, during term times.

I'm sorry if there seems to have been a communication problem! I can call round tomorrow if you would like to discuss this with me then, or a time that is more suitable for you. I am at work tomorrow so if you could text me and let me know, I would be grateful.

A has settled in really well with you and we are pleased with the care that you have given her.

Please help, I hate confrontation!!

The Juggler
26-08-2010, 08:41 PM
I'm a bit confused hon. Sorry:blush: what do you have written into your contracts?

SammyM
26-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Sorry!! Have just re read it and it is a bit garbled!!!

Basically I charge 50% of that days fees if the child doesn't come in order to retain their place, I get the impression that they wanted to use me as a baby sitting service through the holidays.

I also have this paragraph in my Parents Pack which they had a copy of before they signed contracts:-

Fees are subject to review on an annual basis, contracts will be put in place prior to minding commencing and contracted days will be jointly agreed. In the event of your Childs absence, 50% of that days fee will still be payable in order to retain your child’s place. This includes days when my services are not required by yourself e.g. School Holidays. Holidays taken by myself however will be fee free, and I will give you prior notice of these dates so alternative arrangements can be made.

To me it seems clear that she's contracted for 2.5 days, if they decided not to use me for all of those days then they must pay 50% fee as I have kept that space for her.

Mouse
26-08-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm not sure I quite follow. What is the contract for & when was it to start?

Is the girl going to be coming to you from Sept for before & after school, but you've done a short contract to cover 2.5 full days through the summer hols?

SammyM
26-08-2010, 08:57 PM
No, the contract started on 4th August, Wed & Thurs and Friday mornings. She's been coming to me one or two days each week during the hols, but I've now invoiced her for the month with the 50% fee for the days she's not been with me.

I'm sorry if I'm not making much sense :idea:

Blackhorse
26-08-2010, 09:05 PM
so in your contract you say from 4th of august the girl is with you for 3 mornings? wed thu and fri? but she didnt come on some of these days?

when were the settling in sessions? were they the 2 Wednesdays beginning with the 4th?

from the email it seemed the parents thought it was arranged for the girl not to be there as a gradual setting in...

Mouse
26-08-2010, 09:07 PM
No, the contract started on 4th August, Wed & Thurs and Friday mornings. She's been coming to me one or two days each week during the hols, but I've now invoiced her for the month with the 50% fee for the days she's not been with me.

I'm sorry if I'm not making much sense :idea:

Ah, I think I get it now. During term time will the child do before & after school on a Wed & Thur and just before school on a Friday? Then in holidays she'll do all day Wed & Thur with you?

SammyM
26-08-2010, 09:10 PM
She had 2 x 2hr settling in sessions prior to the 4th, she's contracted for 8.00 - 5.00 Wed & Thurs and 9.00 - 12.00 on Fridays and these are the hours that she's been doing when she came to me during August, then when school starts I'll do b4 and after school Wed & Thurs, then just take to school on Friday mornings.

The Juggler
26-08-2010, 09:12 PM
if you feel you have been clear about the terms I would stick your ground. if you feel there has been some confusion, I might let the charge go, for this occasion, then sit with her and make it clear that she is contracted for x no. days and these will need to be paid for or a 50% retainer for absences noted in advance.

Personally I wouldn't offer the 50% retainer = either she wants 3 days/mornigns or not. What if she decides not to send the mindee for 4 weeks of Summer hols next year, could you afford the 50% drop?? If you can I would make sure a certain period of notice is given and a max no. days per year is agreed on which they can have the 50% retainer.

If she really doesn't need the Fridays in the hols, maybe change the contract now but tell her now the days are fixed and only your own holiday is fee free, contracted days must be paid for.

Good luck. I think best thing is to sit down and clarify it.

SammyM
26-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Ah, I think I get it now. During term time will the child do before & after school on a Wed & Thur and just before school on a Friday? Then in holidays she'll do all day Wed & Thur with you?

Yes although this e mail is the first I've heard that she won't need me on Friday mornings during hols.

I hate this part of the job :panic: :( :panic:

Mouse
26-08-2010, 09:16 PM
She had 2 x 2hr settling in sessions prior to the 4th, she's contracted for 8.00 - 5.00 Wed & Thurs and 9.00 - 12.00 on Fridays and these are the hours that she's been doing when she came to me during August, then when school starts I'll do b4 and after school Wed & Thurs, then just take to school on Friday mornings.

Will she come to you during other school holidays?

If it's stated like that in the contract, it should be quite clear to the parents. What I don't understand though is why they agreed to 9-12 on a Friday if she's never going to come to you then? It sounds as if they don't quite understand what they've agreed to & you'll need to go through it again with them.

SammyM
27-08-2010, 06:43 AM
This is how I've replied.....

Thanks for your mail.

I'm sorry that you feel there is some confusion over this months invoice, I try to make my policies on fees as clear as possible to avoid any such misunderstandings.

When contracts are signed, the days that care is needed are agreed by both parties, in this case Wednesday, Thursday & then Friday mornings. As stated in both the parents pack and the NCMA contracts if a child is absent during these days then 50% of that days fees are payable.

Fees are based on your contracted hours which, during this time, your place is available for you to use, as I am unable to utilise this place for another child, and obviously it is your choice whether A attends on these days.

If you wish to amend your contract with regards to Fridays, I can do this, although there is a 2hr minimum (ie £7.00, or if A doesn't attend on Friday mornings in school holidays there would be 50% of this fee due.) I am unable to offer term-time only elements of a contract, and I'm sorry if you felt this was the case.

I am going away tomorrow for a couple of days but please give me a call on my mobile if you need this clarifying, alternatively we can meet next week?

Thanks

I wonder if they are just trying it on, makes me cross that they think a registered childminder is a glorified babysitting service that can be called on at the drop of a hat GGGRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Hebs
27-08-2010, 06:50 AM
I dunno it does sound like she is honestly confused, and is wanting to clarify it with you,
Her email is polite and she states that they are happy with the care

xx

The Juggler
27-08-2010, 07:17 AM
I agree with Hebs, she does seem genuine. I would let this holiday period go but sit down and really make sure everything is superclear between you.

Again, I think if they are going to NOT use you whenever they can, I would drop the offer of a 50% retainer for absences and fix it at the min. number of days they need:)

Mouse
27-08-2010, 07:30 AM
I dunno it does sound like she is honestly confused, and is wanting to clarify it with you,
Her email is polite and she states that they are happy with the care

xx

I agree with that. I think it sounds like you've both got your wires crossed somewhere.

I'd arrange a time to sit down & go through her with it again.

Does your contract break it down into term time & holiday hours?

Lick'le Oakes
27-08-2010, 07:37 AM
It is a very polite email and she says she is pleased with your care so I think she is just generaly confused. I would sit with a cuppa and talk it over with her especialy if you are happy with the child, the hours etc and you don't want to loose her. If the parent was trying to get out of paying I don't think the email would be so polite. I know what you mean about hating this side of the job though but thats why I try and keep my charges as simple as possible, hope you get it sorted before you go away.

jo f
27-08-2010, 07:42 AM
I think the same- there has been a mix up, the e-mail was very nice and stated how well she has settled. I don't think there is any bad feeling there. Hope u get it sorted! x